HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 2:32 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not wishing for anything to happen at all. I think Quebec independence is not the right way to go. But even if it is not the best idea, doesn't mean that it couldn't happen. Stuff like this happens all the time - anything is possible. Your acrimony for Quebec prevents you from acknowledging that its separation from Canada is a wholly plausible turn of events.
I suppose it is "plausible" that an entire group could cut off its nose despite its face, but who would be around to bail it out after the fact? I mean it's not like Greece who can turn to the EU for more funds. That's actually what I was thinking.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 2:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
I suppose it is "plausible" that an entire group could cut off its nose despite its face, but who would be around to bail it out after the fact? I mean it's not like Greece who can turn to the EU for more funds. That's actually what I was thinking.
The toughest thing about being a lucid Quebec federalist is not having to argue with all the separatists living in your entourage, but having to argue with ROCers who think it is the gospel truth than an independent Quebec would be nothing more than a frozen Haiti.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 3:05 PM
mañana is my busiest day

^^ I wouldn't go that far.... but Quebec would have to make a lot of adjustments that its people never imagined... one of them (ironically) would be much greater use of the English language... I mean, which continent does Quebec find itself in? It's like they don't know what the economic realities would dictate to them.

Reminds me of the young actor from Quebec down it the Bahamas when I was living there 15 years ago. He was one of the actors in a movie that was being filmed in French for the Quebec market. He very innocently told me (I figure that he thought I was an American) that when Quebec becomes independent, it will be extremely wealthy because then it can fully develop its massive hydro-electric potential... What was totally lost on me, was how it couldn't do that as part of Canada... but I didn't try to argue the issue... he clearly had been brain-washed from an early age, and I didn't have the time or interest in deprogramming him.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 3:06 PM
video et taceo

i can't talk about quebec with canadians. i just can't. it's all posturing, and it's all so disguised, draped in faux-empirical robes. at least other countries can admit that emotional faultline is emotional.

separatists who ruined montreal bright new future in alberta dying french language deserved their fate new future of protestant reasoning but we don't call it that post-quebec identity immigrants because we're not racist cheap ahistorical little country likes to starve itself like a teenage girl and claim its only getting prettier.

last stream of consciousness i'll do. i'm out. toronto as #1.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 3:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
one of them (ironically) would be much greater use of the English language... I mean, which continent does Quebec find itself in? It's like they don't know what the economic realities would dictate to them.

Ah yes, of course. Keep it up - you are covering all the classic points!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 3:22 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Ah yes, of course. Keep it up - you are covering all the classic points!
Actually, mine is a point that even L. Bouchard has somewhat conceded to.

And of course, French would continue to be used (well not really) on the currency that the PQ has stated it would use after the fact like nothing has changed - the Canadian dollar.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 3:31 PM

You know, the French and English have been fighting with each other since the hundred years war back in the old country. Say what you will but I think the reality is that there are some things that we don't agree upon.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 3:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
And of course, French would continue to be used (well not really) on the currency that the PQ has stated it would use after the fact like nothing has changed - the Canadian dollar.
I guess there are secret teams of NRC scientists working at this very moment on a sophisticated apparatus that could send radioactive waves east across the Ottawa River to dissolve all of the paper money and coins of Canadian currency found in banks, wallets, piggy banks and purses in Quebec... just in case.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 3:53 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
I guess there are secret teams of NRC scientists working at this very moment on a sophisticated apparatus that could send radioactive waves east across the Ottawa River to dissolve all of the paper money and coins of Canadian currency found in banks, wallets, piggy banks and purses in Quebec... just in case.
Didn't you know that Canada is switching over to plastic bills? The scientists of which you speak are not with the NRC, they are based in Australia of all places, that's where the polymer was developed. That's a much bigger feat, than not including one language in any new bills that could occur at some juncture.

http://www.gtglobaltrader.com/news/c...-plastic-money

Bills have always been replaced on a regularly basis because they wear out... the new ones can come in any form the Bank of Canada chooses within the laws of Canada... which can be subject to change.

Over time, our coins have also changed in form.... the banks just send the old ones to the Bank of Canada for recycling... no radioactive waves required, even if Quebeckers live within a distortion field.

BTW, waves are never radioactive, but particles can be.

Last edited by Waterlooson; Dec 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 4:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Didn't you know that Canada is switching over to plastic bills? The scientists of which you speak are not with the NRC, they are based in Australia of all places, that's where the polymer was developed. That's a much bigger feat, than not including one language in any new bills that could occur at some juncture.

http://www.gtglobaltrader.com/news/c...-plastic-money

Bills have always been replaced on a regularly basis because they wear out... the new ones can come in any form the Bank of Canada chooses within the laws of Canada... which can be subject to change.

Over time, our coins have also changed in form.... the banks just send the old ones to the Bank of Canada for recycling... no radioactive waves required, even if Quebeckers live within a distortion field.

BTW, waves are never radioactive, but particles can be.
I get it, I get it. And the Montreal Canadiens would have to change their name, and blablabla...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 4:44 PM
video et taceo

i don't know what they want from us. fealty? awe? a pinky swear that we'll never ever do it again? and i'm a goddamned federalist...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 4:50 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

If the US can essentially heal from a cataclysmic civil war, scar tissue and all, I'll bet Canada can move on from this. There's the old saying "shit or get off the pot" and usually the majority of people do, save for a fringe element. I mean that for all sides.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 5:49 PM

I'm not sure where they stand now, but for a number of years Quebec was a |have not || province,(At least on paper) and took more in than they contributed. Seperation would result in saying bye bye to their expensive social programs me thinks .I know a single mother who moved from the Ontario side to the Gatineau side just to take advantage of some of these programs.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I'm not sure where they stand now, but for a number of years Quebec was a |have not || province,(At least on paper) and took more in than they contributed. Seperation would result in saying bye bye to their expensive social programs me thinks .I know a single mother who moved from the Ontario side to the Gatineau side just to take advantage of some of these programs.
It seems like resource extraction would skew everything in Canada and make provinces that benefit less from resource extraction look "worse" on paper? I don't know.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 5:59 PM
Architecture enthusiast

What a mess. Was anything accomplished with the anger and the pissing match?

"Us vs Them" threads here are doomed from the start.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 6:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure where they stand now, but for a number of years Quebec was a "have not" province
It is still.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 7:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
i don't know what they want from us. fealty? awe? a pinky swear that we'll never ever do it again? and i'm a goddamned federalist...
I don't think a nationalist perspective ever completely makes sense. Part of the problem is the tendency to take a big, heterogeneous group of people (Quebec, Canada) and then attempt to describe it more or less as an individual.

People do the same thing on this forum with cities.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't think a nationalist perspective ever completely makes sense. Part of the problem is the tendency to take a big, heterogeneous group of people (Quebec, Canada) and then attempt to describe it more or less as an individual.

People do the same thing on this forum with cities.
and countries.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 8:30 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
You know, the French and English have been fighting with each other since the hundred years war back in the old country. Say what you will but I think the reality is that there are some things that we don't agree upon.
A bit longer than that, my friend. Try the Battle of Hastings, 1066.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
If the US can essentially heal from a cataclysmic civil war, scar tissue and all, I'll bet Canada can move on from this. There's the old saying "shit or get off the pot" and usually the majority of people do, save for a fringe element. I mean that for all sides.
That's a Canadian phrase to boot.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 1:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
So without equalization that lady's subsidized daycare in Quebec would go up from 7 dollars a day to something like 8 dollars a day...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada