HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
It's interesting that the NHL has become popular in certain markets that one would never expect it to be popular in (San Jose & Nashville), yet has failed to take off in other similar markets (Atlanta & Phoenix). It will be interesting to see what happens in Las Vegas over the long-term.
For the purposes of this discussion, San Jose is basically San Francisco, which means that the Sharks have a pretty sizable TV market and season ticket base to grow and maintain. Nashville is surprising but probably has to do with good ownership. Phoenix was a mistake in every way imaginable from start to finish, they moved to a non-hockey configurable arena then moved way out in the boonies to a suburb. They may have had a chance in Phoenix or Tempe (because of they could draw ASU students to games).

I think the biggest problem for Atlanta is that the Thrashers never became good.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
probably because san jose is rife with disposable income and nashville is full of northerners. sunbelt markets full of west coast retirees dont scream nhl to me. atlanta is a tougher nut to crack but its staunchly southern and hockey just isnt in the dna....shrug...
The problem with the Thrashers is that the owners also owned the Hawks, and the Hawks were more important to them. The Thrashers were secondary, and selling them, even to investors from another city, allowed the owners to concentrate on the Hawks.

This is why the Florida Panthers won't move, despite the obvious lack of support. If they shared an arena with the Heat, they might have moved by now. But the arena owners don't want to lose their only tenant.

The Sharks and Predators both benefit from being the "only game in town", even though that's not true. These markets are not oversaturated with teams.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Las Vegas is way too small and hot for MLB, even if they built a retractable roof stadium.

And the Bengals just built that place not all that long ago.
The Bengals' lease ends in 2026. The deal was very favorable to the Bengals and unfavorable to the taxpayers. You can bet that the city/county would try to get a more favorable lease, and then the Bengals would threaten to leave. Whether that escalates to an actual move is uncertain and unlikely, but the first small steps are there.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 3:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
probably because san jose is rife with disposable income and nashville is full of northerners. sunbelt markets full of west coast retirees dont scream nhl to me. atlanta is a tougher nut to crack but its staunchly southern and hockey just isnt in the dna....shrug...
I didn't realize Nashville is full of Northerners. But I do know that Atlanta is, yet the Thrashers crashed and burned there. Heck, half of Atlanta city proper feels like its made up of Northern transplants (NYC/NJ, Philly, DC, etc.). When in Atlanta, I see just as many (or more) New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania license plates as license plates from states surrounding Georgia.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
They are probably going to get the Columbus Crew MLS team. Precourt is like a demon possessed with his heart set on Austin. MLS is behind it also. The city and state are taking it to court, but Precourt(may he drop dead)will probably get his evil way.

And I don't think it is going to San Antonio, but I would love for them to play spoiler and work with those opposed to it in Austin. Doesn't this conflict with San Antonio's own attempt to get a non major league soccer team?
The Austin City Council seems to be doing all it can to prevent Precourt from moving the Crew here if it takes any city resources/real estate or tax breaks. It's far from a done deal. There is no significant organized group in Austin trying to bring major league sports here. There was also major opposition to the Formula 1 track being built even though it was built with private money from some local billionaires.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 3:32 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
It is very likely that Seattle will get an NHL team. In fact the process is already underway:

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2018/2/...-keyarena-deal

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Arizona Coyotes move, Houston has been a rumored destination.

Nashville as well. Seattle would have a built in rivalry with Vancouver and hockey would be no more foreign than soccer which has worked there.
The kids in Seattle play soccer. I'm guessing some play hockey, but where? The only rink in city limits is Key Arena if I recall.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Not many teams could move in the next 10 years. Here's the teams that could move in maybe 5 years:

Oakland Athletics (MLB): They are getting close to closing for a new stadium in Oakland . . .
Do tell. Where is it? Just when everyone assumed they'd have to settle for the "Howard Terminal" site, they made an offer to buy the Coliseum but the city is still thinking about it last I read. If they get it, I don't know if the plan would be to refurbish the Coliseum or demolish it and rebuild. It has the advantage of a BART stop making it easy for fans up and down and across the Bay to get there whereas Howard Terminal apparently has no transit to the site.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
The Bengals' lease ends in 2026. The deal was very favorable to the Bengals and unfavorable to the taxpayers. You can bet that the city/county would try to get a more favorable lease, and then the Bengals would threaten to leave. Whether that escalates to an actual move is uncertain and unlikely, but the first small steps are there.
The Bengals will have been there for almost 60 years. I don't see them leaving easily. They may slide over to Louisville or something like that.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:05 AM
E pluribus unum

The sooner the Bengals leave Cincinnati/Hamilton County, the better. They're a pathetic franchise run by a miserable owner.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:33 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
This year's Vegas launch and local reception proves the point well. Probably the most successful expansion launch season in the history of North America's Big 4, and the locals are loving it.
That's because Vegas' locals are mostly all transplants and is always full of tourists from other NHL cities that would love to catch a game while in town. Vegas is also full of degenerate sports gamblers. Vegas makes too much sense to me. The Raiders will likely sell out every single game.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Phoenix was a mistake in every way imaginable from start to finish, they moved to a non-hockey configurable arena then moved way out in the boonies to a suburb. They may have had a chance in Phoenix or Tempe (because of they could draw ASU students to games).

I think the biggest problem for Atlanta is that the Thrashers never became good.
The Coyotes had tremendous support and interest when they played in downtown Phoenix. Like you said, that arena was designed for basketball and had obstructed views for the rink. That move to Glendale which was away from their fanbase and ticket holders in the East Valley was detrimental. Another big problem was the financial collapse occurring right after they moved to Glendale and the actual deal between the bankrupt developer and the city of Glendale.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 8:44 AM
Category Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
For MLB, I think San Diego and Oakland will move, with one perhaps going to Portland and one going to Austin.
Petco Park is newish and a top 3 ballpark with decent attendance, Padres aren't going anywhere soon

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 10:25 AM

I don’t think any of these leagues should add expansion teams anywhere. At least not without introducing relegation. There are too many small market teams with no history already.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 11:01 AM

The whole franchise setup is certainly peculiar compared to other global sports. That said it is conceivable that a franchise will find itself in London in the not too distant future. It is a massive market, a global city with extensive exposure, that absorbs sports unlike any other on the planet. The number of games played in London has grown over the years, all with high attendances. Last year, two games were played at Wembley, with another two at Twickenham.

What probably changes everything in terms of London securing a franchise is the opening this year of the new White Hart Lane; Tottenham Hotspurs’ new home in north London. It has a capacity of 62,000 (so smaller than Twickenham and Wembley), but with two critical differences: it was built with NFL in mind, and more importantly – and what is probably a world first – a second retractable pitch; one for football, and a second for American football.

Video Link

The first NFL game is due to be played at the new WHL this October.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
The Coyotes had tremendous support and interest when they played in downtown Phoenix. Like you said, that arena was designed for basketball and had obstructed views for the rink. That move to Glendale which was away from their fanbase and ticket holders in the East Valley was detrimental. Another big problem was the financial collapse occurring right after they moved to Glendale and the actual deal between the bankrupt developer and the city of Glendale.
They likely had tremendous support because they were new. It's a hockey team in a Sun Belt desert town.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 12:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
They likely had tremendous support because they were new. It's a hockey team in a Sun Belt desert town.
Los Angeles Kings have strong support alongside the Anaheim Ducks, both teams have been more successful than the Coyotes recently. Winning helps.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 12:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I'm bullish about Jacksonville getting an NHL team. It deserves one, on skyline merits alone.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 1:39 PM
Dryer lint inspector

This is why I am not a big fan of pro-sports. The Bungles pondering leaving Cincinnati? Seriously? The Bills threatening to move to Toronto? What about the Argonauts? And the Coyotes just suck.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Los Angeles Kings have strong support alongside the Anaheim Ducks, both teams have been more successful than the Coyotes recently. Winning helps.
Look how big the LA market is compared to Phoenix.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 1:51 PM
Ya Dig!!

No chance the Spurs leave San Antonio for Austin. The Spurs are entrenched in San Antonio. They move them to Austin, you can pretty much kill San Antonio supporting them as an Austin based team. Not to mention, San Antonio is still seeing healthy growth itself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions