HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 4:14 PM

Does Halifax need an iconic tower?

Do you think Halifax's skyline is in need of a iconic tower -- something distinctive and, perhaps, notably taller than its surroundings? Why or why not?

This is a debate that raged around the time of the Skye proposal, but I'm wondering what people's opinions are about this in 2019.

Is there a specific area in which you'd like to see a landmark development? Are there areas where you oppose highrise development?

What would your dream development entail?

Get creative! I think this will make for an interesting conversation.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 4:33 PM

I'll get things started.

I think the skyline could definitely benefit from a tower considerably taller than what currently exists. A forty to forty-five story tower, I believe, has the potential to compliment many of Halifax's other buildings by breaking up the tabletop effect.

For a crude example, see the below. I planted the "Le 1000" building from Montreal into the Halifax skyline to give an idea of the scale of development I think would enhance the Halifax skyline -- though not necessarily in this location (I bulldozed the Art Gallery, oops).

What do you think?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 4:42 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I would love something like that! I was disappointed by the Alexander, it had a small potential for this, but even at its height, it seems dwarfed by Maritime Centre.. We have a lot of areas that could hold this, Twisted Sisters, Cogswell Site... the latter being the area most likely able to accommodate such a tower.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 6:02 PM

Unfortunately HRMxD and the Centre Plan will legislate this out of existence, foolishly.

Aside from Skye, the original proposal for the Salter Block from the Medjucks included a tower, which was roundly criticized by the usual suspects. And as we knew, a combination of circumstances led to that project being cancelled and that lot remains undeveloped over a decade later.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:24 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Unfortunately HRMxD and the Centre Plan will legislate this out of existence, foolishly.

Aside from Skye, the original proposal for the Salter Block from the Medjucks included a tower, which was roundly criticized by the usual suspects. And as we knew, a combination of circumstances led to that project being cancelled and that lot remains undeveloped over a decade later.
I am not sure about "needing" an iconic tower but the city's planning rules have increasingly made it harder to build that kind of development, even as the economics have arguably gotten more viable.

A lot of the planning trade-offs are silly. For example the ramparts bylaw imposes low height limits on all of Cogswell. What is gained from it? From some angles you can already see modern buildings from the Citadel and some 1970's-era towers intrude on the Citadel courtyard. Many of the people who crafted this vision of what the city should be are no longer alive.

If nothing can be built downtown then maybe the height limits should go up to 50 storeys around Young Street.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 11:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
If nothing can be built downtown then maybe the height limits should go up to 50 storeys around Young Street.
From a lot of approaches, this is the most prominent area of town. Coming down the 102 or the 118, what you see is that part of town standing out against the sky.

The hill really makes it tough for buildings to stand out downtown.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 4:55 AM

Someone should put a peppermill shaped building high over rampart maximum to dress the table top up a bit.

That type of building has never been done, just checked

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 11:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is no reason why the rampart maximum can't be exceeded. This will not affect the viewplanes in any way. An iconic building would be nice.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 2:55 PM

But I thought Fenwick was iconic enough

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 2:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Purdy's Wharf is actually rather iconic.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:15 PM

Imagine if they were twice as tall Then they would be truly iconic.

I don't know who designed the Purdy's Towers back in the '80s but they should get a gold star. It has always stood out to me as an example of excellent design that has stood the test of time.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I don't know who designed the Purdy's Towers back in the '80s but they should get a gold star. It has always stood out to me as an example of excellent design that has stood the test of time.
Not many Halifax-sized cities have landmark office complexes comparable to Purdy's. It has a distinctive 80's postmodern style and it's built out onto the water. Until recently with the development around Sackville Street, Purdy's was the focus of almost all skyline pictures.

I wonder how the Cogswell redevelopment is going to affect the complex. It could feel a lot more like a core part of downtown rather than an appendage that you only go to if you're walking along the waterfront or deliberately visiting the buildings.

Likewise the Morse's Teas (or I guess now blank-white-rectangle) area could be turned into something impressive.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 3:47 PM

Yes it does. The halifax skyline could be really cool. Specially considering its right on the water. Skylines on the water always look cooler. I hope they keep building up. Halifax has a lot of potential.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 4:41 AM

We've already got Purdy's Wharf.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 5:11 PM

We need one extra-tall uniquely-styled tower that disobeys all viewplanes and ramparts requirements, with a restaurant on top.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
We've already got Purdy's Wharf.
Iconic for a 1980's postcard of Halifax, maybe, but I'd prefer if the city would actually grow up to meet the demand we're currently seeing. I have no doubt a developer would profit from a 40-storey+ residential building in the Cogswell district, what's stopping them?!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Iconic for a 1980's postcard of Halifax, maybe, but I'd prefer if the city would actually grow up to meet the demand we're currently seeing. I have no doubt a developer would profit from a 40-storey+ residential building in the Cogswell district, what's stopping them?!
Well, a sawed-off tower like Purdys seems to be iconic in spirit at least for height-frightened citizens of Halifax.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 3:06 AM
Halifax Promoter!

I just wish the View Planes bylaw would be changed. The only important one is out the mouth of the Harbour.... otherwise, get rid of height restrictions.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 5:42 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
We need one extra-tall uniquely-styled tower that disobeys all viewplanes and ramparts requirements, with a restaurant on top.
This is exactly what Halifax needs. The height phobia is now becoming very problematic for Halifax and this was obvious 30 years ago. The skyline has developed into a boring tabletop, there is tremendous lost opportunity in that short towers occupy prime downtown real estate. Residential and commercial square footage could have easily been doubled in the last 30 years for the same footprint. The viewplanes have not protected the view of the harbour from Citadel Hill nor protected a view of the hill from downtown locations. Having a tower visible from inside the Citadel ramparts won't send tourists rushing for the exit. Most buildings forced to be 8–15 storeys have been a disappointment in their design and have an economic utility appearance due to loss of potential return for a taller building. Heritage buildings have been under constant threat of demolition because three buildings have to be built to equal the square footage that one building should be able to accommodate. The fear of transportation issues with taller buildings is likely a fear of having to devise a comprehensive transportation plan for high density that doesn’t include half empty articulating busses. Start thinking smaller shuttle busses with frequent route times and a commuter train in the rail cut.

The Cogswell lands are prime for higher density as there is such a high demand for development space. The height restriction of past has not been kind to the appearance of the Halifax skyline. Instead of permitting a 40 storey building with an observation deck and a restaurant downtown we build 10 storey buildings with blank walls facing the harbour.

Last edited by Empire; Dec 20, 2021 at 6:04 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 8:10 PM

I was thinking how cool it would be to build an iconic tower on the Cogswell lands that mimics the Pentagon building that was torn down in the early 1960s, but this one would be the Pentagon on steroids. Minimum 30 storeys with larger podium reducing to a tower of similar footprint to the original building, in shape and character.

Just a thought...

Source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues