HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
This is why I am not a big fan of pro-sports. The Bungles pondering leaving Cincinnati? Seriously? The Bills threatening to move to Toronto? What about the Argonauts? And the Coyotes just suck.
Exactly! This is why I love our Buckeyes. They are not going to leave and become the Phoenix Buckeyes or demand a new 2 billion dollar stadium that we have to pay for either. College football is just more fun too.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
The whole franchise setup is certainly peculiar compared to other global sports.
Haven’t there been (soccer) football clubs, or at least rugby clubs, that have relocated to different cities?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I'm bullish about Jacksonville getting an NHL team. It deserves one, on skyline merits alone.
No city where ponds don’t freeze in the winter should have an NHL team.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:49 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
No city where ponds don’t freeze in the winter should have an NHL team.
Disagree. Where there is enough of us wayward northerners and Canadians lost here in the sunbelt, it should be game for an NHL team. Here in Houston, there is enough of us northerners to warrant a future NHL team (we tried stealing the Oilers) and I think we could support an expansion team. The era is over where hockey is purely a northern American/ Canadian thing.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Haven’t there been (soccer) football clubs, or at least rugby clubs, that have relocated to different cities?
There have been a handful of Rugby teams, mostly because they can't find a suitable stadium in their local area and therefore move away, but usually they say that is temporary and look to move back whenever they can. There's only one football (soccer) club that has done so in the UK as far as I know, Wimbledon FC moved to Milton Keynes and renamed themselves 'MK Dons'. That was very controversial and it hasn't happened again since.

With the promotion/relegation system in soccer football pretty much all towns and cities already have a club playing at some level and the usual way to get that club into the big league is to find some money from somewhere, achieve success on the field and get the team promoted through the leagues until they end up in the top tier.

The fans of Wimbledon FC didn't accept the move of their team and started their own club right down at the bottom of the English league system after the original Wimbledon moved to Milton Keynes. Ironically the two clubs now play in the same division (3rd tier of English football).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reloca..._Milton_Keynes

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 2:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
The era is over where hockey is purely a northern American/ Canadian thing.
hockey hasn't been a purely northern US/canadian thing for a good long while.

hockey is also quite popular in scandanavia, eastern europe, and russia, and all of those regions produce a lot of top-notch hockey talent as well.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 3:03 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I know but the NHL doesn't have a presence over there. They just poach their players.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Do tell. Where is it? Just when everyone assumed they'd have to settle for the "Howard Terminal" site, they made an offer to buy the Coliseum but the city is still thinking about it last I read. If they get it, I don't know if the plan would be to refurbish the Coliseum or demolish it and rebuild. It has the advantage of a BART stop making it easy for fans up and down and across the Bay to get there whereas Howard Terminal apparently has no transit to the site.
I may have jumped the gun a bit; I guess this article about purchasing the Coliseum site does not necessarily guarantee a stadium at the current site. Still, there's more optimism about the team staying in Oakland than there was 3-4 years ago.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...t-12780556.php

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:00 PM

Teams that should move based on historical attendance and amount their hometown cares about them are the pelicans, grizzlies, nets, A's, Tampa Bay, islanders, hurricanes, jaguars... Teams that will move by 2028...id say maybe the pelicans and A's (looking likely they will stay in the bay area though)

Also, no chance a team like the spurs is moving. They have solid attendance, have a great history and are entrenched in San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:23 PM

Quote:
This is why I am not a big fan of pro-sports. The Bungles pondering leaving Cincinnati? Seriously? The Bills threatening to move to Toronto? What about the Argonauts? And the Coyotes just suck.
I'm not a fan of pro sports either but I'm especially not a fan of cities putting money into pro sports teams and venues for them to play because the teams have no loyalty to the city or to their fans. After a city spends millions or maybe a billion, the team can pack up and go. It's a business. What other business do cities subsidize in this way?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:24 PM

The Chargers will share the most expensive/glamorous stadium in the NFL. They're not leaving for a long time. I have no idea why people thought Clippers would leave, even after Balmer announced his Inglewood plans. These agruements make no sense.

That said, Seattle will probably get a NBA team from somewhere.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I may have jumped the gun a bit; I guess this article about purchasing the Coliseum site does not necessarily guarantee a stadium at the current site. Still, there's more optimism about the team staying in Oakland than there was 3-4 years ago.

I believe there are competing offers, possibly for more money than the As have offered, and if so the city might see itself as having a duty to take the biggest offer.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:48 PM

MLS seems like the expanding league in the near term, including austin and sooner Miami

and I wonder if the alleged stadium build for a 2nd-tier league soccer team in Chi is just a soft attempt at a second team there

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
The Chargers will share the most expensive/glamorous stadium in the NFL. They're not leaving for a long time. I have no idea why people thought Clippers would leave, even after Balmer announced his Inglewood plans. These agruements make no sense.

That said, Seattle will probably get a NBA team from somewhere.
New Orleans...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post

The A's should never have left Philadelphia. I wish Comcast or someone would buy them and move them back.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Teams that should move based on historical attendance and amount their hometown cares about them are the pelicans, grizzlies, nets, A's, Tampa Bay, islanders, hurricanes, jaguars... Teams that will move by 2028...id say maybe the pelicans and A's (looking likely they will stay in the bay area though)
Uh, CLIPPERS?? By far the least cared about pro sports team in any city, hands down. Even in the Clippers' best years - which coincided with the Lakers' worst years - the Lakers were still the hottest ticket in town.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
New Orleans...
Maybe. Are the Pelicans struggling there?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:40 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
Petco Park is newish and a top 3 ballpark with decent attendance, Padres aren't going anywhere soon
Agree. Petco Park is an A class facility. If anything, San Diego will see the growth of new teams as opposed to losses (after the Chargers debacle). San Diego is rumored to get an arena downtown that could host NHL or NBA (NHL more likely as San Diego is much more crazy for hockey). Also, San Diego is a serious contender for a new MLS team.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
The one exception for the NBA is the Pelicans. They're a small market, not the main draw in that market, as well as poorly run with a strange ownership situation with the Benson family feuding. I don't think the Pelicans are long for New Orleans unless they become a contender in the next couple of seasons, which is highly doubtful in its own right given the state of the Western Conference and their own assets cupboard.
I think the Pelicans are a contender to go to Seattle.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Uh, CLIPPERS?? By far the least cared about pro sports team in any city, hands down. Even in the Clippers' best years - which coincided with the Lakers' worst years - the Lakers were still the hottest ticket in town.
What the hell are you talking about? The Clippers had sold out 7 years straight up until the middle of this season. Based on attendance and tv ratings, the least cared about team is the Nets, by far.... The Lakers are the hottest ticket in town because they always are. They are loved here and a couple down years arent gonna change that. Also, Lakers fans and Clippers fans are not the same people. Plenty of room for both

Also, the Clippers make money, one of the few teams that do and are in the process of securing entitlements to build their own stadium.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions