HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Just had lunch at the new Grumans deli on 11Ave (directly north of Keynote). Not bad little lunch spot, had the beef brisket which was quite tasty. Tried their ground chuck burger the other day which was also quite good. Nice to have another place to eat in the area.
Another thumbs up for Gruman's here. Just polished off a very tasty chicken club. I was surprised to discover it's quite large, and a full table service establishment - guess I was expecting a more conventional deli setting. Oh, and say yes to the pickle!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 9:38 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Thought I should add this feature that Avenue Magazine did on Portland last year:

Portland Offers Copious Amounts of Culture, Food and Drink
Portland Comes of Age: With a commitment to everything fair trade, local, organic and delicious, this eco-minded metropolis, is full of endearing quirks that charm locals and tourists, alike
http://www.avenuecalgary.com/article...food-and-drink

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 12:14 AM
Great White Norf

My friend, his fiance and I had lunch today at Nirvana on Falconridge Blvd for their buffet (special 6th anniversary price $9.99 lunch or dinner til May 1). What great decor! It's quite grandiose with huge wooden doors opening to high ceilings with central dome, high end marble and other stone and wood materials, a central fountain (kinda like being in a rich Indians home I suppose ) especially considering it's in a cookie cutter strip mall. The buffet was good. Everything seemed fresh and decently prepared. The only downside was that sweets are not offered in the buffet but one can't have everything I suppose. (we headed to Apna Punjab afterwards to fulfill our sweet tooth cravings). I recommend giving it a try as for $10 there's many worse lunch choices you can make.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 11:32 PM
not a NIMBY

Nirvana sounds great! Thanks for telling us about it.
The Herald had a very favourable write-up on Canada Dosa Corner on 52 St SE @ Memorial which is where Anpurna used to be.

I noticed the dead Fish at 17 X 4 SW is now going to be the Tilted Bar or something so I wonder if it is related to the Tilted Grill?

I just got back from New York and I wish we had what they have all over - 24 hour good quality hot food buffet and salad/fruit bars where they weigh what you choose. Plus they have beer, coolers, and wine, ice cream and other desserts, pastries, all kinds of junk food snacks, several coffees, panini sandwiches on order, and on and on. Eat in or take out. There was one next to our hotel that was handy. I ate well!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 3:32 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbownian View Post
Another thumbs up for Gruman's here. Just polished off a very tasty chicken club. I was surprised to discover it's quite large, and a full table service establishment - guess I was expecting a more conventional deli setting. Oh, and say yes to the pickle!
I went there today. Awesome. I was completely ignoring these posts until I realized it was right behind my building! Had a Montreal smoked meat sandwich. Delicious.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I went there today. Awesome. I was completely ignoring these posts until I realized it was right behind my building! Had a Montreal smoked meat sandwich. Delicious.
I was surprised you hadn't been posting about it too, seeing as how it's so close. Grumans is a nice change from Sunterra and Viet Nam, lol

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:37 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
I was surprised you hadn't been posting about it too, seeing as how it's so close. Grumans is a nice change from Sunterra and Viet Nam, lol
I didn't notice it until now. I am very excited about it. Sunterra is great, but it really is the only place to eat around here. Lotus is alright, but I should just go to Viet Nam instead, as everyone says it is better and cheaper. The building it is in sucks though.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:42 PM

This is epic, even if it is fake! (all later posts show the same time stamp)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:45 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I haven't seen the rest of that exchange after the "to cross the river" remark. As much as I want it to be true, I believe it to be fake.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:48 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Just found the original convo on twitter, sadly it does not lead to stuff about Taco Bell.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I noticed the dead Fish at 17 X 4 SW is now going to be the Tilted Bar or something so I wonder if it is related to the Tilted Grill?
No relation. It's an American chain pub that basically looks to be Hooters in tartan: www.tiltedkilt.com. Looking over the menu (and the godawful draft list), I think this may be a step down from Bob the Fish.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:48 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Nirvana sounds great! Thanks for telling us about it.
The Herald had a very favourable write-up on Canada Dosa Corner on 52 St SE @ Memorial which is where Anpurna used to be.

Canada Dosa Corner is a total hole in the wall BUT the food is outstanding! Check it out for sure!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 10:29 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

We may get another restaurant on 17th. Can't divulge details yet.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 12:00 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
We may get another restaurant on 17th. Can't divulge details yet.
We may- we are- getting lots of new restos on 17th. Clive Burger is very close to opening (space that used to be Wok Box and Fiasco Gelato incarnation #2)

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 12:09 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Anpurna was at Memorial and 52nd St SE. It's now a place called Masala.

The dosa place is near 17th Ave SE.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 1:00 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Anpurna was at Memorial and 52nd St SE. It's now a place called Masala.

The dosa place is near 17th Ave SE.
Oh thanks, either I mis-read the Herald or they misled me!
I wonder what our Calgary Indian restaurant count is up to now?
I noticed in the Herald review of Fleur de Sel that their only complaint was having to look at Tribeca construction which is impossible since it hasn't started construction yet and will always be blocked by Strategic on 4th construction. They need Kathy back or an SSP-er to write for them!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 1:32 AM

Going to try Paloma tomorrow for lunch. $9.95 buffet here I come.

*edit

Apparently they don't do the buffet anymore, just spoke to lady there. (Very nice)

Still going because I have heard nothing but good things about this place and I am itching for more authentic Mexican food. Love the NE for this stuff.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:28 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
I wonder what our Calgary Indian restaurant count is up to now?
Per urbanspoon: 126, and that's only in the city proper since we're apparently not big enough by urbanspoon standards to have a directory the the greater Calgary area like they have for bigger cities. So if you want listings for Cochrane or Chestermere (which has a massive South Asian population btw) you have to move to the "Alberta" listings.

We have 188 Vietnamese- the most per capita in North America.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 8:34 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Per urbanspoon: 126, and that's only in the city proper since we're apparently not big enough by urbanspoon standards to have a directory the the greater Calgary area like they have for bigger cities. So if you want listings for Cochrane or Chestermere (which has a massive South Asian population btw) you have to move to the "Alberta" listings.

We have 188 Vietnamese- the most per capita in North America.
Wow and wow! Thanks, that is amazing.
I don't remember seeing any Vietnamese restos in Manhattan, but I'm sure there must be some?
We are blessed in strange and wonderful ways in Calgary.

I was just at Ruan Thai for their lunch buffet. I like it because they don't have too many choices and they keep on top of what they do have.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Grumans is on the wrong avenue for me. My office is west of it on 11th, but I'm seldom there and when I am, I'm usually driving east on 12th and completely forget about Grumans. Until the next time I drive by it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation