HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Going to try Paloma tomorrow for lunch. $9.95 buffet here I come.

*edit

Apparently they don't do the buffet anymore, just spoke to lady there. (Very nice)

Still going because I have heard nothing but good things about this place and I am itching for more authentic Mexican food. Love the NE for this stuff.
Went for lunch today. $9.95 for taco platter. Gentleman serving was very nice, brought us some chips and salsa when we sat down. We asked for some Guacamole, wow! Best Guacamole I have ever had, its made fresh there. Tacos were very good, much like Las Tortillas in marlborough. The platter also had some re-fried beans, also very good, and some rice. Over all I really enjoyed it and will be back for sure, likely several times lol. Love me some proper Mexican.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 9:14 PM

Does anyone know when Sociale shut down? I usually make my reservations via phone, but I was busy last week, so I reserved a table for lunch today. The place was shuttered and looked like it's been closed for longer than a week.

Too bad, cause I really liked their Cuban sandwich.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:59 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Does anyone know when Sociale shut down? I usually make my reservations via phone, but I was busy last week, so I reserved a table for lunch today. The place was shuttered and looked like it's been closed for longer than a week.
It seems as if everything Witold Twardowski touches turns to shit over the last few years. I have no faith in anything he's involved with.

We had an EXCELLENT lunch at a newer place in Chinatown Sunday- it's called Great Taste Chinese Restaurant (I'm sure it's more creative sounding in Mandarin) and it's the space that used to be MBA noodle house next to Calgary Court. The menu is more like Delicious Country than the HK style places- lots and lots and lots of chilies all over the place (we got this "hunan chicken" that was hacked bone-in fried chicken bits, really delicious, and COVERED with whole roasted chilies- you could avoid them easily but it's a pretty intimidating dish at first glance). I got an XO sauce rice cake with pork that was actually not spicy at all but still really tasty. Service was fast, professional and friendly.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 4:16 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:

Too bad, cause I really liked their Cuban sandwich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
It seems as if everything Witold Twardowski touches turns to shit over the last few years. I have no faith in anything he's involved with.
Kind of mind blowing as Sociale was the "it" place to be for a while. Truth be told I had never been for a meal, only for the club aspect of things! It was always a bumpin place to be!

Rusty, you must be right, it seems like a tough thing to fuck up!!

I really hope that someone good takes over. It's a really neat space with a lot of potential!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Kind of mind blowing as Sociale was the "it" place to be for a while. Truth be told I had never been for a meal, only for the club aspect of things! It was always a bumpin place to be!

I really hope that someone good takes over. It's a really neat space with a lot of potential!
Thanks Rusty, I forgot that he was involved with it. Damn shame, I'm really going to miss that sandwich.

Didn't take a long look as I was in a bit of a panic, but it looked like the space was partially gutted. Knowing Witold, he probably did a midnight move and took what he could before the landlord changed the locks.

Ended up going to Parkerhouse just around the corner and had their lobster mac'n'cheese. A tad rich but pretty tasty. Menu was pretty run of the mill, but the food was good.

I've avoided the place as I heard it wasn't that good, but I'd go back. Added points for saving my butt.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 6:29 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Went for lunch today. $9.95 for taco platter. Gentleman serving was very nice, brought us some chips and salsa when we sat down. We asked for some Guacamole, wow! Best Guacamole I have ever had, its made fresh there. Tacos were very good, much like Las Tortillas in marlborough. The platter also had some re-fried beans, also very good, and some rice. Over all I really enjoyed it and will be back for sure, likely several times lol. Love me some proper Mexican.
Good to hear you tried it out. I loathe the loss of "Juan's" from the downtown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbownian View Post
No relation. It's an American chain pub that basically looks to be Hooters in tartan: www.tiltedkilt.com. Looking over the menu (and the godawful draft list), I think this may be a step down from Bob the Fish.
that's crazy talk. Tilted Kilt is great!

Bob the fish had to go

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 6:52 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Good to hear you tried it out. I loathe the loss of "Juan's" from the downtown.
Me too. I didn't even realize it had closed - the all-knowing Google still claims it's there on 8th Ave, which led to a rather embarrassing attempted visit recently. It looks like it's been gone for a few years now (man, how time flies).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:07 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Me too. I didn't even realize it had closed - the all-knowing Google still claims it's there on 8th Ave, which led to a rather embarrassing attempted visit recently. It looks like it's been gone for a few years now (man, how time flies).
Just one year exactly around this day it closed. It was there....it was gone. I wonder where they went??

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:09 AM

just had some olive chicken....WOW

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 9:03 PM

A few Mission and Beltline eatery updates:

A fence has gone up around Wurst's south-facing "yard". I see there's a patio permit under review, so looks like they're gearing up to build.

Clive Burger (former Wok Box location) is hiring, has a placeholder website up: www.cliveburger.com, and a fairly active Facebook profile. Can't imagine they're too far from opening. I was expecting something to go head to head with Burger Inn and Tubby Dog, but they seem to be aiming more upmarket. Also licenced, so potentially a good place to get a burger and draft without having to hit a pub.

I was on the wrong side of the street to check for more info, but there's a permit posted at the old Avocado location and seems to be some activity inside. Will be nice to see it occupied again - that stretch of 17th can't afford to have too many holes.

After an extended period of inactivity, it also looks like the National Beer Hall is on the move again. The existing patio (adjacent to the Ship's) has been dismantled - assuming this was a concession to the city to add a new one. I've gone and forgotten the name of the firm, but the same interior designer is handling both this project and the aforementioned Clive Burger.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 9:16 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Also in restaurant news- the rooftop patio for 1410 is under construction. Expected opening late may.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:14 PM

Quote:

It's kind of weird because UBU next door is now the place to be...they actually play good music there too.

But I did a quick google search of Witold Twardowski
http://www.chefdb.com/nm/5650/Witold-Twardowski
and it appears that he is a coowner for UBU as well.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 4:10 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Was in Canmore yesterday and ate at the Grizzly Paw. They have a major new building/brewery being constructed just off of Highway 1. It's a huge building. I reckon it is going to be quite nice when finished. It would appear that they are going to be expanding their brewing operations with the size of the new facility.

(credit: Thegrizzlypaw.com)

in other brewery news. I was at the Grape Escape a couple of weeks back. I was chatting with a couple of the ladies at the Wildrose brewery booth. Sounds like they too have outgrown their current digs and with the Currie development they are going to be pushed out. I really hope that they are able to find a location in a high traffic area rather than in an industrial park.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 5:12 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Was in Canmore yesterday and ate at the Grizzly Paw. They have a major new building/brewery being constructed just off of Highway 1. It's a huge building. I reckon it is going to be quite nice when finished. It would appear that they are going to be expanding their brewing operations with the size of the new facility.

(credit: Thegrizzlypaw.com)

in other brewery news. I was at the Grape Escape a couple of weeks back. I was chatting with a couple of the ladies at the Wildrose brewery booth. Sounds like they too have outgrown their current digs and with the Currie development they are going to be pushed out. I really hope that they are able to find a location in a high traffic area rather than in an industrial park.
*cough* Inglewood brewery

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post
It's kind of weird because UBU next door is now the place to be...they actually play good music there too.
In walking by UBU this week, it has closed, as well. Both it and Sociale have brown paper covering the windows and the Sociale side has a sign stating "Coming Soon: Black Betty"

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 9:36 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidepockets View Post
In walking by UBU this week, it has closed, as well. Both it and Sociale have brown paper covering the windows and the Sociale side has a sign stating "Coming Soon: Black Betty"
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-jobs-othe...AdIdZ370440898

http://www.facebook.com/meetblackbetty

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsumetai View Post

But I did a quick google search of Witold Twardowski
http://www.chefdb.com/nm/5650/Witold-Twardowski
and it appears that he is a coowner for UBU as well.
I think UBU is also closed.

Posted this before I saw Sidepocket's post

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:45 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
I think UBU is also closed.
that's actually pretty shocking.

I repeat: Everything WT touches has turned to shit. If he's affiliated with a new resto, count on it lasting 6 months.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:59 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Maybe the owner needs a new business model, where he starts up successful ventures, and then sells them before he drives them into the ground.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation