HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 9:06 PM

Capital theatre coming back to life

Just after I read this article
http://windsorite.ca/wp-content/uplo...01-600x400.jpg
Quote:
One of this year's many goals for Windsor Mayor Eddie Francis is to finalize an agreement with an operator for the downtown Capitol Theatre.

Francis said talks are progressing but it's taking longer than he expected.

"We were hoping to have a deal in place by now but, obviously, sometimes deals happen on a timeline and sometimes that timeline gets extended," Francis said. "Our focus is to ensure we get it done right and those discussions continue. Hopefully in the new year they'll wrap up."

The city took over the 92-year-old downtown theatre from a bankruptcy trustee a year ago.

"We're having — and continue to have — discussions with an interested party," Francis said. "Until that point in time, the city continues to operate the Capitol and we look, hopefully, to a positive resolution to our discussions."

I read this article
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/01...-capitol-soon/
Quote:
There will be a new operator for the Capitol Theatre within 45 days, Mayor Eddie Francis said Wednesday.
That news will be music to the ears of community arts groups which have been clamouring for a decision on the future of the 92-year-old structure since it went into receivership.

The city took over the Capitol from a bankruptcy trustee a year ago.
Ever since the University of Windsor and St. Clair College ruled out moving into the Capitol, the city turned its attention to the next possible operator.

He didn’t reveal who it is, but the odds-on favourite is Windsor Symphony Orchestra. WSO has been locked in an ongoing struggle with its landlord at the Chrysler Theatre, St. Clair College, over booking performance dates.
Jeth Mill, WSO executive director, declined to comment Wednesday. But he agreed the orchestra’s options for staging its concert season are limited.
If the Windsor Symphony Orchestra located to the Capital I think it would be a nice fit, and I also think, holy cow, finally.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:14 PM

This would be great if indeed it is the symphony taking it over, a win win situation for everyone. Another piece of the puzzle for the core's growing list of attractions and offerings.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 8:47 PM

I guess the university is tearing down it's old arts building.

this is the drama building they're tearing down.

source
http://windsorite.ca/2012/01/univers...wrecking-ball/

Quote:
The University of Windsor is moving ahead with plans to demolish two unused buildings this spring.

Last summer, the University announced its intent to demolish former student residence Cody Hall.

Cody Hall, built shortly after the University was given it’s “University” status — 55 years ago — will be demolished in May after the University’s Board of Governors voted in August to convert the abandoned structure into green space.

The University’s old Dramatic Arts Building will also be demolished after sitting idle since the Jackman Dramatic Art Centre opened in September 2003.

The old Dramatic Arts Building was built in 1953 and is a one story building located on Wyandotte Street with a partial second floor and partial basement which connects to the University’s vast network of high pressure steam utility tunnels.

Demolition of the Drama Building is expected to start in February and conclude in July.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 8:54 PM

A nostalgic article about the Palace Theatre downtown. It is now closed and soon to be remodeled into the new Windsor Star headquarters.

The theatre opened in 1920.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/ID=2183822697

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 7:32 PM

The downtown actually doesn't look that bad now, especially when compared to Hamilton. It has lot's of shop's and restaurants and nightlife and it look like a decent place to stay for a city of it's size. Just a few more highrises will do the trick.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M View Post
The downtown actually doesn't look that bad now, especially when compared to Hamilton. It has lot's of shop's and restaurants and nightlife and it look like a decent place to stay for a city of it's size. Just a few more highrises will do the trick.
Downtown is going to be turning a corner this year with everything that's happening, but I agree, what downtown needs is residential intensification.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M View Post
Yup, downtown is finally getting the investment it needs to grow and flourish. It really has improved a lot over the last few years, and with all the new projects about to begin, even more investment will follow.

Does downtown Hamilton really look bad? I've never actually been there, just passing by on the way to Niagara.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 4:05 PM

Here's a couple feel good article about Windsor in 2012, listing the scheduled developments downtown and another article talking about a future museum for Windsor, a proper museum hopefully, finally.

Quote:
Vander Doelen: 2012, the year Windsor re-builds

The next 12 months are going to be a time of major activity and big changes for Windsor, with more than a dozen projects transforming parts of the city.

City council’s approval this week of a developer’s plan to turn Windsor Arena into a $12 million downtown market mall is only the tip of quite an iceberg: by the middle of this summer there will be construction and redevelopment projects going on in every corner of the city.

Even without the $1.4-billion Windsor-Essex Parkway project — and a new international bridge too? Dare we hope for that, now that Matty Moroun has been in jail? — Windsor is going to be a construction hot spot.

By this June, ground will be broken on so many projects that, I humbly predict, national media attention will focus here along the lines of “What the heck is going on in Windsor?”

The first of these transformative projects started very modestly on Friday, when contractors started work to turn the former Palace Theatres into the new home of The Windsor Star. It’s not a big dollar project, certainly, but developers tell me that The Star’s move will spark other reinvestments and new tenants for downtown landlords.

The Star’s move will also lead to the eventual redevelopment of its current 100-year-old home on Ferry Street into a school of social work for the University of Windsor. That project is not expected to start this year, although the U will take over the former downtown Armouries this summer for redevelopment as a faculty of music.

In February, contractors will begin work on the city’s much-anticipated $73 million aquatic centre. That project is going to change the city by bringing thousands of kids and their families into the core, not to mention tourists, and adults drawn to its new public health club.

But the aquatic centre will also fill a major hole in the city centre — the empty blocks which have blighted the core for 25 years. It might also jump-start residential development on nearby blocks owned by developer Shmuel Farhi, who’s also got one eye on the new university population moving into the downtown.

By March work should be underway to turn the ground floor of the Art Gallery of Windsor into the new home of the city’s main downtown library branch. By then city council will also have in its hands a report on building a new community museum, which won’t be located far from those two institutions and could conceivably see a construction start this year.

In March, work also begins rebuilding one of the worst eyesores to assail the senses of newcomers arriving in Windsor either by air or from Highway 401: reconstructing and widening 2.5 kilometres of Walker Road from the airport to the E.C. Row Expressway at a cost of $30 million.

That strip of bad road and its leaning poles and cheesy gutters has looked like a hick town commercial slum since the day I moved to Windsor 30 years, one month, and one day ago. But heck, now that’s it’s going to be fixed, who’s counting?

Tenders for the Walker job are out right now. New sewers will be installed first and the work will take the rest of the year. Half the money comes to Windsor from the province as part of parkway funding to fix border traffic.

In March, work is also supposed to start on the first phase of the $36.7 million Vista project, which will rebuild 16 kilometres of Riverside Drive into a fully landscaped scenic route with traffic circles. Council is expected to approve Vista in February; work will last until June.

In April work should begin on the new downtown market, whose concept drawings I think are stunning. I know, I know, concept drawings always look great. But so do the buildings King Developments Ltd. recently had a hand in, including St. Clair College’s new health sciences building and its downtown Mediaplex.

I think the market design created by husband-and-wife team of James and Leigh Ann King has the potential to change the way Windsor thinks of itself — particularly the way we think of our dowdy downtown.

The King market could also mark a turning point in private investor sentiment: it’s the first retail investment in the downtown in many years.

By May, work will start on another roadway eyesore: rebuilding the country intersection of Cabana and Provincial roads. It’s going to cost $9 million to rebuild that antiquated traffic mess, which has resulted in backups for years.

“Those are huge,” Mayor Eddie Francis says of the Walker Road and Cabana road improvements. He says you won’t recognize these public spaces after the bike paths, sidewalks and turn lanes go in, and two more gateways to the city will stop being ugly.

By late summer, but definitely by the fall, work begins on the $34.2 million reconstruction of the Windsor-Detroit Tunnel plaza, a joint project of the federal and provincial governments.

There will be other road work underway: a few million to rebuild Wyandotte Street between Walker Road and Olde Riverside; a few million more to cure the corduroy roadbed of Wyandotte West near the university.

A handful of private investments are coming too, the mayor hints. Remember the major financial services company thinking of locating in Windsor that I told you about last month?

It’s still on. Francis says he has other job-creation irons in the fire, too, but he can’t discuss them yet.

“It’s going to be a busy year,” Francis said Friday, with evident relish. “We’ve got some good things coming, a lot of things happening.”
Quote:
Will Windsor's history finally go on display?

The frantic pace of asset development in Windsor will be cranked up yet another notch early next month with the unveiling of plans for a first-class downtown museum linked to the Art Gallery of Windsor and new central library.

With the ink barely dry on the $77-million aquatic centre contract and with the dust still settling from this week's stunning revelation of a $12-million private investment to transform Windsor Arena into an urban mall and farmer's market, Mayor Eddie Francis now has his sights trained on a new museum that would tell Windsor's colourful story and become another key piece of the downtown renaissance puzzle.

"The museum is the next priority. It will be huge for our downtown on top of the other investments. It offers a whole new opportunity for Windsor," said Francis of a museum plan being developed by Lord Cultural Resources, a Toronto-based consulting company that's been involved in more than 1,800 museum projects around the globe.

Lord Cultural, awarded a $95,000 contract last fall to conduct a museum feasibility study for council, will be at Mackenzie Hall on Feb. 2 to roll out its plans and get feedback from the community.

Francis, who described the museum as his primary 2012 objective, along with freezing taxes for another year, said if council likes the proposal it could have the green light by May or June and construction could begin either late this year or, more likely, in early 2013.

Francis said he can't provide details on how the museum would be funded but anticipates a significant federal contribution and believes the project will qualify for the long stalled Joseph Chimczuk's bequest, now in excess of $3 million. Plans for a transient marina, already budgeted, will be postponed once more. "We got elected because we're fiscally responsible. We're very balanced in our approach," said Francis of the anticipated howls of outrage over "runaway" spending.

The plan would see synergies created by physically linking the art gallery/central library with the new museum. One obvious potential location would be the former Docherty "hole in the ground" east of the gallery, which boasts a panoramic view of the riverfront.

The Windsor Community Museum, housed in a tiny but historically important home on Pitt Street, has been an embarrassment to Windsor for decades. I can't think of another Canadian city of this size that would allow its rich, diverse history to be stuffed into a postage stamp of a building, with most of the collection in storage because there's no room to display it.

Some rural townships have better facilities. Windsor, I've argued since the late 1980s, seemed determined to bury its past in either shame or apathy, often with the help of a bulldozer.

A museum worthy of Windsor is a great idea, I told Francis. Long overdue. But how on earth, on top of everything else, are we going to finance it?

It won't be a problem, Francis insisted. "We don't issue long-term debt," he said, and that will remain true with this project. The city's financing strategy will remain intact and taxes won't be increased to pay for the museum. He said he's confident, based on discussions with the feds, that funding will be available through the museum assistance program operated by the Department of Heritage and Citizenship. "They (the federal government) told us to go out and get an independent study done. I'm taking my direction from that." He said Windsor is the only city of its size in Canada that has been unable to tap federal cultural funds.

"This is not a one-off. This is all part of our strategic plan," said Francis of the museum project. He described it as "one of the final pieces we have left" in a strategy designed to make Windsor affordable and attractive to both current residents and those interested in moving to this region.

Cathy Masterson, the city's manager of cultural affairs, said the proposed plan involves a unique "hub and spoke" approach to celebrating Windsor's story. Instead of piling everything into one massive building, the downtown "hub" would be designed to create an appetite for further exploration with visitors directed to "spokes" that could include, among others, the distillery in Walkerville, an undetermined site in Sandwich, the downtown multicultural centre, the Serbian museum on the far east side, the transportation museum in greater Kingsville and the historic Gordon House in Amherstburg.

Masterson said she's just itching to see what Lord Cultural, which has delivered on projects ranging from South Australia to Ground Zero in New York, rolls out on Feb. 2.

She won't be alone.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2012, 10:15 PM

It's great to read stories like this, we've suffered for far too long and far too hard. The thing that amazes me though, is how the trolls on the Star website are so negative about every good peice of news, and refuse to believe any of this is true, like some big conspiracy theory is taking place, led by the mayor.

So sad that some of our own citizens are our worst enemies, only happy when things go wrong in our city.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2012, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
It's great to read stories like this, we've suffered for far too long and far too hard. The thing that amazes me though, is how the trolls on the Star website are so negative about every good peice of news, and refuse to believe any of this is true, like some big conspiracy theory is taking place, led by the mayor.

So sad that some of our own citizens are our worst enemies, only happy when things go wrong in our city.
I hear ya North. I post comments on the Star's page under an alias. I'm usually posting in support of the good news and sometimes get tangled up with those monkeys but it wears me out.

I come here to talk about the news with people who are positive about what's going on in the city, the only downside is there's soo few of us Windsorites posting on this page.

There's soo much Eddie Francis hate from Windsor Star posters and my guess is it still stems from the CUPE strike.

How can they hate Eddie so much? He's done more for Windsor than the last few mayors combined!! For once the city is moving forward and progessing!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Yup, downtown is finally getting the investment it needs to grow and flourish. It really has improved a lot over the last few years, and with all the new projects about to begin, even more investment will follow.

Does downtown Hamilton really look bad? I've never actually been there, just passing by on the way to Niagara.
Downtown Hamilton has struggled but judge for yourself, I posted pics of Hamilton (mostly downtown) back in September:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=193664
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=193875

When I lived there, I posted many pics of Hamilton and its neighbourhoods, there is a full list here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=3949148

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
I hear ya North. I post comments on the Star's page under an alias. I'm usually posting in support of the good news and sometimes get tangled up with those monkeys but it wears me out.

I come here to talk about the news with people who are positive about what's going on in the city, the only downside is there's soo few of us Windsorites posting on this page.

There's soo much Eddie Francis hate from Windsor Star posters and my guess is it still stems from the CUPE strike.

How can they hate Eddie so much? He's done more for Windsor than the last few mayors combined!! For once the city is moving forward and progessing!
I believe it's a lot of the CUPE workers orchestrating these negative post as well. I stopped posting on there because it made me so pissed off reading the total crap that was being spread around on there.

Eddie is the best mayor the city has ever seen, and has done more than any of them.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Downtown Hamilton has struggled but judge for yourself, I posted pics of Hamilton (mostly downtown) back in September:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=193664
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=193875

When I lived there, I posted many pics of Hamilton and its neighbourhoods, there is a full list here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=3949148
I think downtown Hamilton looks pretty great, there seems to be the really nice historic areas, and also the gritty, not so pretty areas. We have that here as well, but I think that goes with once having a large industrial sector as a main source of employment.

I'm gonna make a stop on my way to Niagara next trip, and check out Hamiltons' core, I find it hard to get a feel for a city with just pictures.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 4:59 PM

The hate is mainly from union thumpers and it doesn't represent the average citizen (if it did, Eddie wouldn't have been re-elected twice). I've noticed many newspapers switching over to a format that requires commenters to login through a Facebook account (the London Free Press and Detroit Free Press now do this). This would cut down on the idiotic comments since currently the Star allows people to post anonymously which means it's free reign for the trolls.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
The hate is mainly from union thumpers and it doesn't represent the average citizen (if it did, Eddie wouldn't have been re-elected twice). I've noticed many newspapers switching over to a format that requires commenters to login through a Facebook account (the London Free Press and Detroit Free Press now do this). This would cut down on the idiotic comments since currently the Star allows people to post anonymously which means it's free reign for the trolls.
I hope the Star switches also then, because some of the crap that they spew is slanderous.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 11:20 PM

I agree about the Facebook login Blitz, but the LFP and the Windsor star are owned by two different media companies. The company that owns the star is not using this format. It would hopefully cut down on the trolling.

Last edited by Symz; Jan 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:42 PM
bro

Unhappy

I wouldn't count on the Facebook Login solving your paper's trolling problems. We still have tons of trolls in the London Free Press comment section. All they do is create a fake Facebook alias for signing in.

Like the Star, the LFP comment section is terrible for negative, bitter old coots. London just unveiled the winning proposal for a small alley named Market Lane. Right now the alley is severely underused and desolate. The proposed design plans to add much needed lighting and style to the alley making it more appealing. The alley is a major pedestrian link and connects our main drag (Dundas) with our downtown market and the John Labatt Centre. Out of the 21 comments on the new project, only 3 of them were positive (two of those were from myself).

I often feel like you, North. Getting really frustrated with the clowns just seems like a waste of time. Dunno why I even bother posting on there, to be honest.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
I wouldn't count on the Facebook Login solving your paper's trolling problems. We still have tons of trolls in the London Free Press comment section. All they do is create a fake Facebook alias for signing in.

Like the Star, the LFP comment section is terrible for negative, bitter old coots. London just unveiled the winning proposal for a small alley named Market Lane. Right now the alley is severely underused and desolate. The proposed design plans to add much needed lighting and style to the alley making it more appealing. The alley is a major pedestrian link and connects our main drag (Dundas) with our downtown market and the John Labatt Centre. Out of the 21 comments on the new project, only 3 of them were positive (two of those were from myself).

I often feel like you, North. Getting really frustrated with the clowns just seems like a waste of time. Dunno why I even bother posting on there, to be honest.
Yup, I found myself getting so annoyed and mad that I just had to stop posting. Even reading them makes me furious sometimes, so now I just glance over some comments, and quickly move on.

I worry about people possibly wanting to move here, then reading how negative the people are here, and maybe reconsidering the move.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Yup, I found myself getting so annoyed and mad that I just had to stop posting. Even reading them makes me furious sometimes, so now I just glance over some comments, and quickly move on.

I worry about people possibly wanting to move here, then reading how negative the people are here, and maybe reconsidering the move.
If anyone from out of town read the Windsor Star comments section they would think we're a city full of idiots who are not happy with anything and want everything for nothing. It seems people can't see the good in anything and have skillful ways of making everything seem negative or coming up with some sort of conspiracy that absolutely must be behind every project.

Our new mayor has accomplished more than the last few mayors combined and he's also the youngest mayor in the history of the city and yet to the cronies who post on the Star he has done nothing good for the city and is a deceitful dictator....

Sigh....

I like the guy, he's a busy body and he's moving the city forward, we're actually seeing things get done and the city changing before our eyes and for too long and for many mayors before him progress was stagnant.

I mean I know that not every mayor can make everybody in their city happy, but these people are NEVER happy about ANYTHING and they all seem to be arm chair mayors thinking they know better..

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 9:34 PM

As bad as the comment section in the star is, the Windsor Square website is a complete joke, they can't write one article without mentioning how our mayor, or Edgar as they call him, has ruined this or is covering up that, or has secret deals with developers. It is so obviously one sided that it lacks any credibility and hopefully anyone who happens upon it will see that right away.

These people need meds bad!!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario