HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 8:30 PM

Is this the same building/what is with the new height?

Date of Hearing: August 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1. EA 13-165538 DAR – 1101-1139 SW Jefferson Street Tower Chris Caruso, BDS, 503-823-5747
APPLICANT: Steve Poland, Androm Moisan Architects
ADDRESS: 6720 SW Macadam Ave Ste 100
Design Advice Request for a 14 story, 279 foot tall, retail and residential tower with 177 apartments, 96 below-grade parking spaces, and on-site loading on the half block between SW 11th and SW 12th Avenues at SW Jefferson Street.

(From the Design Commission Agenda)

Last edited by CouvScott; Jun 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 1:05 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

That would be it. The north side of SW Jefferson between 11th & 12th.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 10:21 PM

Vista Bridge -- Planned Installation of Suicide-Prevention Screen

This issue does not concern a building, but does deeply affect the Vista Bridge and people's enjoyment of it. Steve Novick has ordered the immediate construction of a 9-foot tall mesh screen on the inside of the bridge railing to prevent suicides. And all for the measly price of $236,000. I would much rather they employ a few full time security guards 24/7 for two years for this amount, or perhaps some history docents. That seems a better use of the money.

This screen mesh will destroy people's enjoyment of the bridge. No more picture taking of downtown and Mt. Hood from this location. No more wedding or engagement pictures. No more commercial shoots. And I suspect that the budget and design challenges will make this "temporary" solution a permanent one. What a waste of an amazing historic structure, albeit one in need of a little TLC (but not the mesh screen type).

If you have strong feelings about this, please contact the city and make your voice heard.

From Oregon Herald

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 3:19 AM
A before E

Now people will have a tall fence to climb over when they jump from the bridge....at least it will make them feel like they accomplished something in their life before jumping.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 7:26 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Its what you get when you underfund your local government. Sadly, it was much needed. Too many people were jumping - I personally have been on the MAX three times (!) when someone jumped. Transit delays alone cause huge service disruptions, not to mention the tragedy and witnesses who are exposed to the horrific scene.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 7:41 AM
Karma Police

If somebody is dead set on committing suicide (pun intended), they'll find a place to do it. Putting a 9' tall chain link fence on an historic bridge won't prevent anything. It'll just get displaced to another bridge.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 1:05 PM

true, but isn't part of the issue simply that every time someone jumps the max gets delayed for a couple hours?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 6:14 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
If somebody is dead set on committing suicide (pun intended), they'll find a place to do it. Putting a 9' tall chain link fence on an historic bridge won't prevent anything. It'll just get displaced to another bridge.
Thats not how it works. Most people are not "dead set" on committing suicide, and most suicides from bridges are, from what I have read, generally unplanned events. People who were restrained from jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge rarely tried committing suicide again - something like 94% never attempted suicide again. This was according to a 1978 report by UC Berkeley.

What may be equally important in a situation like this where a bridge is starting to gain notoriety as a suicide jumping point is to prevent it from becoming famous in the first place. Notoriety will only draw more potential jumpers to it, like the Golden Gate or George Washington Memorial Bridge in Seattle.

People travel halfway across the country to jump off the Golden Gate bridge. As beautiful as those bridges are, how would you like to watch 4 people per day jump off and go SPLAT on the ground in front of your office?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
true, but isn't part of the issue simply that every time someone jumps the max gets delayed for a couple hours?
I'd say so. The MAX would will start to become a very unreliable service if the jump rate keeps going up...

Hope this explanation helps bring light to some of the issues. Agreed that the chain link fence may not be ideal, but hopefully its just a stopgap measure. Maybe full height (9-12') plate glass would work.

Last edited by zilfondel; Jul 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 7:24 PM

While your points are extremely valid, could you possibly envision them building a 9 ft wall on the golden gate bridge? No way! Since we don't have water under our suicide bridge, maybe they should just build the wall over the max tracks and the road, that way people can continue on with their day. Oh well, just get on with it and build the accountability bridge...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 7:38 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Its what you get when you underfund your local government. Sadly, it was much needed. Too many people were jumping - I personally have been on the MAX three times (!) when someone jumped. Transit delays alone cause huge service disruptions, not to mention the tragedy and witnesses who are exposed to the horrific scene.
Wow. The odds of that are insanely low being that the Vista Bridge only sees an average of 1 or 2 jumps per year.

I'm neither for nor against this. I just hope the permanent barrier is done tastefully, and I wish it didn't have to cost so much. Granted, I also wish unicorns would show up at my doorstep with fresh coffee each morning, but that's not going to happen either. Still, they're talking about a few million for a permanent fix, which is a lot - unless it also includes seismic upgrades. It's a shame they can't build a giant mesh net instead. "Go ahead and jump. You'll just end up stuck in a net."

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 6:05 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I thought that the Oregonian did a very poignant piece on the issue - including interviews of Bud Clark. Video here:

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...rriers_to.html

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 6:06 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogeric View Post
While your points are extremely valid, could you possibly envision them building a 9 ft wall on the golden gate bridge? No way! Since we don't have water under our suicide bridge, maybe they should just build the wall over the max tracks and the road, that way people can continue on with their day. Oh well, just get on with it and build the accountability bridge...
The Golden Gate bridge should absolutely have jump-barriers. Infrastructure that is not people-friendly is failing in its primary task: to safely and efficiently move people and goods.

You are sick. Obviously you have never dealt with suicides before.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 5:35 PM

MAC Club Apartments -- Residential Mid-Rise with MAC parking and guest rooms

This potential residential development has been on the radar in the Goose Hollow Neighborhood for the better part of a year. The project as currently designed would have 265 residential units and 166 residential parking stalls. The MAC, which owns the property and has entered in to an agreement with Mill Creek Residential Trust to develop it, would receive 16 guest rooms and 225 parking stalls.

Parts of the project that have raised the most controversy thus far include: the additional parking for a commercial entity (the MAC) in a residential project, the required zoning change from RH to CX to accommodate these commercial (mostly buried) parking spaces, potential traffic issues, and the loss of green space (the block is used for a de facto dog park).

Project will be going to DAR on Aug. 15, 2013. Project concept can be found here.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 8:12 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Was there ever anything on that block, decades ago? Is there a reason why such a prime piece of land in a dense neighborhood like Goose Hollow has been mostly vacant?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 9:49 PM

MAC Club Apartments -- Residential Mid-Rise with MAC parking and guest rooms

Quote:
Was there ever anything on that block, decades ago? Is there a reason why such a prime piece of land in a dense neighborhood like Goose Hollow has been mostly vacant?
There were older homes on the block, but the MAC purchased them over time and tore them down--I think in the 70s. Though the MAC has contemplated using the block for expansion, it had never penciled out. After receiving an unsolicited offer to purchase the property from Mill Creek Residential Trust, the MAC entered into an agreement with them to attempt to solve both of their needs: MCRT would get their apartment building, and the MAC would get additional parking spaces and "hotel" space for out-of-town guests (most older athletic clubs like the NYAC and the Olympic Club in SF have such housing spaces).

There was a neighborhood kerfuffle in the mid-80s when it looked like the MAC was going to keep the lots as permanent parking spaces. In a deal with the city, the MAC agreed to convert "block 7" into a lawn. The MAC block just East of it was developed into residential housing (Legends).

Oregonian articles about this from 1985 can be found here and here.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 11:07 PM

Actually, the first link shows some houses left on that block, and those houses stuck around until 2000 or so - I was living nearby at the time.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 5:30 AM
PearlHelp.com

Another 61 units could be on tap for Southwest Portland

Portland-based Stack Architecture created early renderings for the four-story multifamily building proposed for the corner of Southwest Barbur Boulevard and Hooker Street. http://goo.gl/maps/H8kX8

PAY WALL: http://djcoregon.com/news/2013/08/21...west-portland/

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 11:38 PM

I haven't seen anything about this until I saw it show up in the permits for Washington County. I'm sure it will be just as ugly as the existing monstrosity.

http://washims.co.washington.or.us/G...Value=L1300248

Quote:
D(INS)-DEVELOPMENT REVIEW FOR A 289,256 SQ. FT. EXPANSION OF ST. VINCENT HOSPITAL NORTH PARKING GARAGE STRUCTURE (9 LEVELS; 696 STALLS)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 3:23 AM

That's an area I'm surprised has seen so little development. I would have thought there would be dozens of office buildings there by now.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 2:41 AM

Is Goose Hollow "southwest"? The project at 21st and Jefferson appears to be starting. Fence is up, bulldozer on site. If you've forgotten, it's 5 stories, apts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland