HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 10:10 PM

‘V-Pole’ may take high tech to the streets in Vancouver

From the National Post.

I'm not sure if people really want cell transmitters closer to their heads or their condo windows - or whether the transmitters would also broadcast upwards to the tops of buildings.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05...-in-vancouver/

Quote:
Douglas Coupland-created ‘V-Pole’ may take high tech to the streets in Vancouver

Tristin Hopper May 22, 2012 – 10:52 PM ET | Last Updated: May 22, 2012 10:58 PM ET

Martin Tessler/Mathew Bulford
A photo illustration of Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson with the V-Pole — a slim, modular utility pole that would connect to underground optical wiring.

To clear its streets of cellphone towers, parking meters, Wi-Fi terminals, streetlights and even community message boards, the city of Vancouver is pushing forward with a scheme to compress all the technologies together into specialized “Vancouver poles” planted throughout the city.

“Meet your inevitable future,” wrote novelist Douglas Coupland, the technology’s creator, in an introductory Tweet.

Alongside Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson, the author unveiled the “V-Pole” concept technology last week at the New Cities Summit in Paris, France. “You would never think of building a house or office tower without electricity — in the same way, you would never think of developing future cities without ‘V-Poles,’” said Mr. Coupland in a statement quickly reprinted by French, German and Italian media.

The device, no larger than a telephone pole, would manage cell signals for multiple carriers, as well as wireless Internet for the surrounding neighbourhood. In-ground pads plugged into the pole would provide inductive charging for parked electric cars. An integrated touch screen would display maps, ads or payment interfaces, and an LED street light would be perched at the top of the pole.

“You could pay for parking, you could pay for electric vehicle charging, that kind of thing,” said Sahdu Johnston, Vancouver’s Deputy City Manager.

The core of the V-Pole is lightRadio, a device developed jointly by Bell Labs and telecommunications giant Alcatel-Lucent that compresses all the wires and circuit boards of a cellphone tower into a single Rubik’s cube-sized block. “You can stack them inside a pole like Lego,” said Mr. Coupland.

A friend of Mr. Robertson, Mr. Coupland said the idea came up a year ago when the pair were discussing city efforts to address an encroaching forest of cellphone towers. As of early 2012, Downtown Vancouver is home to more than 100 cellphone towers operated by more than five competing carriers.

“We’ve been seeing an almost exponentially growing demand for data,” said Mr. Johnston. “So, we’ve been trying to find a way to integrate cell phone infrastructure into the urban landscape in a way that does not detract from the aesthetic and view qualities of the city.”

As wireless traffic climbs — and infrastructure expands in response — Mr. Coupland predicts that poorly-managed cities could become “as cluttered as a kitchen junk drawer.” “I like to get rid of as much crap as possible from the visual environment,” he said.

It would not be the first time cities have been swamped by telecommunications clutter. One of Thomas Edison’s earliest inventions was the Quadruplex Telegraph, a device that allowed simultaneous messages to be transmitted along a single telegraph wire. Prior to the invention – in the mid 1800s – every single telegraph operator needed their own cable, resulting in dense urban jungles of telegraph wires that came close to blocking out the sun.

“It’s getting to the point in most dense metropolitan areas where [traditional cell towers] cannot provide adequate capacity — especially with the advent of smartphones and tablets,” said Richard Hamilton, a vice-president with Alcatel-Lucent. “So, what we need to do is go to smaller cells, so there’s less people in each cell trying to access the same spectrum.”

The lightRadio technology is so compact that the cubes could just as easily be hidden under the eaves of a nearby house. Putting the technology in a pole is about making a “statement,” said Mr. Coupland. “Data transmission is no longer something scary you don’t want in your backyard. Now you want it directly in front of your house,” reads a V-Pole news release. Nevertheless, the poles are bound to attract the ire of a small but vocal Lower Mainland community of anti-Wi-Fi and anti-cell tower activists. Last month, Vancouver city councillor Adriane Carr pushed forward a resolution that would allow Vancouverites to “opt out” from using Wi-Fi-enabled “smart” power meters.

‘It’s getting to the point in most dense metropolitan areas where [traditional cell towers] cannot provide adequate capacity’
The best-selling author of Generation X and Microserfs, Mr. Coupland also has a hefty résumé in public art. In 2008, Toronto unveiled Mr. Coupland’s abstract monument to the War of 1812: a larger-than-life gold coloured toy soldier done up in the regalia of the 1813 Royal Newfoundland Regiment standing over a toppled toy soldier dressed as an American infantryman. Mr. Coupland is also behind the Terry Fox memorial unveiled last September outside the refurbished B.C. Place stadium.

The V-Pole project is entirely open source, which means Mr. Coupland receives no royalties or consulting fees for the design. V-Poles, still in the conceptual stage, are all-white save for a band of multicoloured rings clustered near the top. Mr. Coupland sees the poles as being decked out in neighbourhood-specific colour schemes. “They are introducing a new era of communication and utility — so that’s why they’re a bit exuberant, I imagine in the future they’ll all be painted dull brown or something, but for now we should celebrate them,” said Mr. Coupland.

There is no way to estimate the unit cost per pole, but Mr. Hamilton pegs it in the “thousands” rather than the “tens of thousands.”

The new poles could cancel out some already-pricey infrastructure schemes. Last month, the province of B.C. pledged $2.74-million to install 570 electric car-charging stations, and Vancouver is already looking at plans to swap out some of its sodium street lights with LEDs.

National Post

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05...-in-vancouver/

Old Posted May 24, 2012, 11:43 PM

interesting, but i'm not sure how practical these are. cost per implementation? who will supply the wifi? free-city supplied wifi may work as in NYC, where you can get free wifi in parks only, usually supplied by a named sponsor, (ie, minimal ongoing cost to the taxpayer).

that being said, if luddites here hate smart-meters, not sure how these will go down.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 12:06 AM

Hmm. I find this concept quite interesting, but you're not really going to get much range for the cellular aspect.. especially given how low to the ground these seem to be.

Upon further reading, I see that they estimate a range of a block and a half. That seems fairly accurate, though you'd probably see cellular handsets switching between towers awfully quickly at that range.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 12:07 AM
+

What this city really needs is a free Wi-Fi network to blanket the entire downtown core.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 2:48 AM
See ya down under, mates

Wi-fi paranoia is certified crazy, but isn't there some scientific fact behind people's concerns with cell phone tower radiation? Every cell phone instruction booklet says to not hold it against your face.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 3:53 AM

I'd like to jam a pole into the V of whoever approved such a dirty name.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 4:08 AM

Where's your freakin' helmet, poster child?

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:19 AM

Interesting but doesn't seem very practical unless the costs come down so much that building excessive cell capacity becomes insignificant to the bottom line. But then you run in to the problem of swamping the city with more radio waves then you need to, and you still have to maintain each one of these things (which might not be a issue if their standardized and mass produced...until technology advances and you have a 100 obsolete cell towers instead of one).

The thing with cell towers is that it is a balancing act. Use too many and you reduce the networks flexibility and real capacity. Use too few and you end up with unreliability and dead spots.

What they would be good for is filling in these dead spots but each provider will have their own unique ones I would think.

Still a good concept to think about.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
What this city really needs is a free Wi-Fi network to blanket the entire downtown core.
it was said to have happenned years ago - about the time portland and a number of US cities did it - but vancouver backed out or looked at the cost - either way Google pays for Portland's city area free wi-fi

i wonder who could pick up the tab for vancouver?

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 1:35 PM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
i'd like to jam a pole into the v of whoever approved such a dirty name.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 1:52 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Are you ever out of range of a Starbucks/McDonalds or other coffee shop downtown?
The city didn't go ahead last time because it didn't find a corporate sponsor willing to foot the bill. Not sure they'll find one now either. Shaw is building their own wifi network but even that I don't believe will provide blanket coverage just hotspots throughout the region.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Wi-fi paranoia is certified crazy, but isn't there some scientific fact behind people's concerns with cell phone tower radiation? Every cell phone instruction booklet says to not hold it against your face.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-ionizing_radiation

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:32 PM

I can't see the need for these "V"-poles to have CelPhone transmitters.
Isn't Vancouver already well-covered for CelPhone access?

Why is it so hard to bolt a WiFi antenna & electronics on light standard?

A few weeks ago, I left my laptop running with a WiFi sniffer while doing the afternoon commute down Granville from Downtown. I got over 700 hits from WiFi access points just from homes & businesses along Granville. I'd guess over a hundred were 'promiscuous' sites that had no encryption or password for the connection.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
No. No, there isn't.

People selling pendants and crap like that sure do a good job of convincing scientifically illiterate people (and politicians) that it's dangerous, though.

(edit: what Vestry said. Cell phone signal spectrum wavelength is like around 10-30 cm (800-2200 MHz). Holding a cellphone to your face is as dangerous as holding a small magnet and spinning it very rapidly. Might warm your skin a bit and might induce some very tiny activity in the brain - which is good, most people could use more of that )

Last edited by huenthar; May 25, 2012 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 7:23 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

My question is, why inductive charging? Is it being wireless really worth the giant hit to efficiency? It would add like 30% on to the amount of power needed to charge a car, which is already not a small amount.

Just use a damned cord...

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
I can't see the need for these "V"-poles to have CelPhone transmitters.
Isn't Vancouver already well-covered for CelPhone access?

Why is it so hard to bolt a WiFi antenna & electronics on light standard?

A few weeks ago, I left my laptop running with a WiFi sniffer while doing the afternoon commute down Granville from Downtown. I got over 700 hits from WiFi access points just from homes & businesses along Granville. I'd guess over a hundred were 'promiscuous' sites that had no encryption or password for the connection.
knowing the city they would want these poles installed and all the existing cell infastructure taken down

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 8:38 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
My question is, why inductive charging? Is it being wireless really worth the giant hit to efficiency? It would add like 30% on to the amount of power needed to charge a car, which is already not a small amount.

Just use a damned cord...
A couple of big advantages for inductive charging:
  1. A Passerby can't unplug your car
  2. No electrical exposure = less risk of electrocution
  3. Potentially less maintenance (no wear on contacts)

I don't know if it's worth the hit, but for infrastructure like this, there are more advantages than just the "cool" factor of wireless charging.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
did you actually try to connect to those sites? when i'm travelling, even in seattle, ~ 60% of those sites don't connect, and the other 40% connect to a log-in screen.

NYC has wifi in parks paid for by a sponsor. This might be a nice balance, with a scope that is manageable.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/highlight...es-to-go/wi-fi

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 10:10 PM

steveston has wi-fi but its $6 a day aimed at tourists who are in the village for the day

the convention centre wi-fi is also quite pricey

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues