HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 8:31 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
I suppose the $2 cup is the hand then?
Exactly!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2007, 10:38 PM
not a NIMBY

too funny!

or maybe they will have kopi luwak instead of esmeralda?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
________
Jainism Advice

Last edited by Jimby; May 12, 2011 at 7:49 AM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:28 AM

I don't care HOW good that coffee is, I ain't touching it with a hundred foot pole!

I've had pretty good meals every time I've been at Brava, but I've heard differing opinions on it.

If you're looking for a good eating experience in Banff, I recommend the Bison bistro, it's fantastic. Anyone else been there?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 3:47 AM
Editor

Has anyone been to the recently opened 'My Marvin's' in mission? It used to be a Calgary institution, but I've heard the re-incarnated version isn't that good.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 4:03 AM

YES the Bison in Banff is excellent.. i had a chicken sandwich there that was friggin amazing....

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 10:28 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime
So for future 'condo warming' reference what kind of wine do you like to bring to these functions? I need to know what to expect man!

I am hooked on a unique wine from Italy (Tuscany). Tolaini Wines by Pierluigi Tolaini, in particular, Duesanti, on of three wines made by Tolaini (Duesanti, Al Passo and Picconero-the latter is still in the cellar). Tolaini only produces about 140,000 bottles per year.

Duesanti, an elegant, full bodied blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc raised in French oak.

This wine is BRILLIANT and is sold at two locations in Canada. Willowpark Liquor store in Calgary and a boutique store in Winnepeg owned by Tolaini's daughter. It costs $34.00 an exclusive price to Willowpark but would set you back $70/bottle. Brilliant wine. If you know your wine you will appreciate it.

http://www.tolaini.it/man.htm

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 2:26 AM
Build'em high!

Went to the Red Door Bistro on 11th recently and wasn't that happy with it. I've been there 3 or 4 times before and it was good, but this time...not so good.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 2:39 AM
Majestic

I had yet another good coffee at Heartland in the Bridges today. Great place for working on a project, or starting a revolution. Coffee, as always, simple and good. Second time I've had the Roasted Red Pepper panini, and damn is that thing good... if for $6.75. My only complaint: as usual, they run out of sandwiches and such rather quickly, leaving a rather small selection of food. Really, I should have just waited until dinner for the real food and instead gotten one of their awesome brownies.

Flickr

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 3:25 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

I am wondering what folks think of the newly renovated Caffe Beano? They did a superb job of upgrading their coffee program (new La Marzocco espresso machine, new Fetco brewers, re-training of all staff), but they also took over the barber space next door. Any reactions?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
I am wondering what folks think of the newly renovated Caffe Beano? They did a superb job of upgrading their coffee program (new La Marzocco espresso machine, new Fetco brewers, re-training of all staff), but they also took over the barber space next door. Any reactions?
Wow, they expanded! That place was always crowded and hard to even look for a seat that probably wouldn't be there. Can't wait to see what they've done with the renos when I return to Calgary

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 4:07 AM

Just got home from the "Bears Den" NW of Calgary off Bearspaw Road and Crowchild. 2 Words...WOW and Wow. $200.00 for two people but if money is not an object, one of the best. (includes a bottle of 2003 Enrique Foster Reserva Malbec at 65.00 and a 30.00 tip) Great live Jazz, decor, service and incredible food. A short drive in the country to feel like New York dining. Incredible. Uniquely Calgary

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 4:09 AM

PS
This should be a Sticky

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 4:40 AM
Calgreedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Boy View Post
Just got home from the "Bears Den" NW of Calgary off Bearspaw Road and Crowchild. 2 Words...WOW and Wow. $200.00 for two people but if money is not an object, one of the best. (includes a bottle of 2003 Enrique Foster Reserva Malbec at 65.00 and a 30.00 tip) Great live Jazz, decor, service and incredible food. A short drive in the country to feel like New York dining. Incredible. Uniquely Calgary
I've been to the Bears Den several times and always enjoyed myself. The decor is certainly not for everyone, but if you are the in the mood for dark, warm (den-like I suppose) dining then Bears Den is pretty solid. Doesn't seem to get mentioned very much by the critics though. Too far away from downtown?
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 8:48 PM

Has anyone tried the Coffee Porter from Mill Street Brewery? Made with Balzac's dark roasted coffee.
I picked up a six pack last week from WP and really liked it.

http://www.millstreetbrewery.com/beers_coffeeporter.htm

FYI - Checkout Beer Bash on November 15 at WP where the world of beer unites under one roof for one night of festive tasting and fantastic pub food.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 12:58 AM

Beano looks great... they didn't really change much they basically just took out the walls but it makes it feel so much bigger... hopefully they will expand the "patio" seating to include in front of the old barber shop...

what they really need to do is fix the front end... the line up there gets almost overwhelming...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:42 AM
That's what she said

Recent victories:
River Cafe
The ambiance of the River Cafe is worth the trip alone. The seared halibut is great. It's expensive, but definitely a place to go checkout.

Cactus Club
Cajun creole Steak was excellent. one of the best steaks I've ever had.

Saltlik:
Saltlik had a fantastic appetizer that sounded like it would be awful but was outstanding. It's cream cheese and some other cheeses mixed in with curry spices and almonds, covered in mango chutney. I'm serious it was awesome.

Recent losses
My Marvins in Mission. It had just opened, so maybe they were working out kinks, but the roast beef sandwich had meat slices that were too thick, anf the bread was too thick (and not fresh). They forgot a couple of things, and then gave us the wrong bill!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:45 AM
That's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canterra View Post
Has anyone tried the Coffee Porter from Mill Street Brewery? Made with Balzac's dark roasted coffee.
I picked up a six pack last week from WP and really liked it.

http://www.millstreetbrewery.com/beers_coffeeporter.htm

FYI - Checkout Beer Bash on November 15 at WP where the world of beer unites under one roof for one night of festive tasting and fantastic pub food.
That sounds like it would be pretty good. Is it open to the public?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 5:15 AM

^ I believe tickets are still available for $25

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 4:21 PM

I went to a fund raiser at WP last week and had a great tasting wine. It was a Cabernet Sauvignon from a winery in Oliver that was really good. I thought the winery was called Wild Horse or Kicking horse or something like that, but can't remember the name. I can't find any info about it on the net. Maybe someone here has heard of it?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 7:03 PM

How are things with Flames central these days? I wanted to check it out when it first opened but couldn't get in there. I've been tasked with picking a place for a group of us at work to go out and have a team building night of food and drink. I was considering Flames Central, any thoughts?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation