Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 6:02 PM
dream fast

8-8

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 12:07 AM
THAT Guy

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ocId=D9ILMO1O0

Sears wants to buy back Willis Tower sculpture

Sears may have moved out of its tower in downtown Chicago, but the company now wants to buy back a motorized sculpture in the building's lobby.
---
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

It Isn't Easy Being Green
Maura Webber Sadovi

Owners of Chicago's Willis Tower face resistance as they seek City Hall's help financing a $350 million makeover to bring wind turbines and energy-saving systems to the tallest building in the Windy City.

Chicago City Alderman Robert Fioretti said in a recent interview that the owners of the building, formerly known as the Sears Tower, told him they would reduce their request for city financial support of the plan to about $35 million from more than $100 million.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 12:55 AM

the glass boxes at the top make the tower make the tower look alot worse IMO, though I'm sure that they're great to stand in!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
the glass boxes at the top make the tower make the tower look alot worse IMO, though I'm sure that they're great to stand in!
i was thinking the same thing....

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 2:27 AM

not for nothing but for the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and not to mention the 2nd tallest on Earth by pinnacle height it looks a bit run down and worn, a reclad/renovation like whats going on at the ESB and UN Secretariat would do this one well...

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 3:23 PM
tilted & shifted

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 3:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

beautiful shot!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 3:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ocId=D9ILMO1O0

Sears wants to buy back Willis Tower sculpture

Sears may have moved out of its tower in downtown Chicago, but the company now wants to buy back a motorized sculpture in the building's lobby.
---
Uhhhh, I don't think so! Hands off traitors! That Calder mobile belongs nowhere but the base of the Sears (stop tempting me to call it Willis assholes) Tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
not for nothing but for the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and not to mention the 2nd tallest on Earth by pinnacle height it looks a bit run down and worn, a reclad/renovation like whats going on at the ESB and UN Secretariat would do this one well...
Ummmm, no, you are wrong. Sears looks just as sharp and clean as the day it was built. Also, unlike New York, Chicago doesn't like to constantly destroy all its Modernist buildings and change their facade to the latest trend. We either completely demolish them (i.e. the poor Reese buildings) or enshrine and worship them (i.e. Sears, Hancock, and anything Mies). If this building were reclad it would be a complete crime against architecture. Also, I'm sorry but silver is just such a wimpy color for a supertall. Grow a pair and paint some buildings black.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 5:12 PM
Ex Houstonian

A couple pictures I took back in 08-2008

Old Posted Oct 8, 2010, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Uhhhh, I don't think so! Hands off traitors! That Calder mobile belongs nowhere but the base of the Sears (stop tempting me to call it Willis assholes) Tower.

Ummmm, no, you are wrong. Sears looks just as sharp and clean as the day it was built. Also, unlike New York, Chicago doesn't like to constantly destroy all its Modernist buildings and change their facade to the latest trend. We either completely demolish them (i.e. the poor Reese buildings) or enshrine and worship them (i.e. Sears, Hancock, and anything Mies). If this building were reclad it would be a complete crime against architecture. Also, I'm sorry but silver is just such a wimpy color for a supertall. Grow a pair and paint some buildings black.
i never said to alter the damn things look just renovate it and reclad it with new windows.....

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 1:52 AM

The John Hancock and Sears towers will always look like new. no reclad is necessary, thats why they are so legendary, who else has two giant black buildings like Chicago, no one!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 2:08 AM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
beautiful shot!
Thanks.

From the vault:

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 3:04 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Very fine indeed. Willis looks like a monster.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 7:47 PM
Ex Houstonian

People, stop calling it Willis Tower, it will forever be Sears Tower. Im sorry, I just cant say Willis and not think of Fat Albert, its such an unnatractive name for one of the worlds tallest buildings.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 11:50 PM

Willis it will be until someone else buys it, big deal, get over it. Its not like it looks any different. Same with Marshall Fields, prices are the same, the state street store is the same, stop complaining!!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2010, 3:34 AM
Fourth and Main

I love the sunset photo! Amazing!

The boxes would look good if they reflected as black instead of blue. Black would match the design of the building.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaguir3 View Post
Willis it will be until someone else buys it, big deal, get over it. Its not like it looks any different. Same with Marshall Fields, prices are the same, the state street store is the same, stop complaining!!
No. YOU are the one who needs to get over it, people will call it whatever they want.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 9:28 PM

I think the chance that eaguir3 actually reads your reply is...well nothing seeing as how the last thing posted was 3 months ago.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 11:09 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
People, stop calling it Willis Tower, it will forever be Sears Tower. Im sorry, I just cant say Willis and not think of Fat Albert, its such an unnatractive name for one of the worlds tallest buildings.
Even in newspaper articles I've seen the building referred to as "The Sears Tower (Now Willis Tower)." Chicagoans like the name as Sears Tower and will continue to call it that and so will I. Viva le Sears Tower!!!
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 4:44 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaguir3 View Post
The John Hancock and Sears towers will always look like new. no reclad is necessary
While I agree they don't need a reclad, the Sears Tower does NOT look new. It really needs a cleaning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture