HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Crane Chinatown in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 12:07 PM

Chinatown Eastern Tower top story on politico.com (?!?!)

This is interesting. Not sure how it bodes for getting this done since this connection is now being presented with undertones of scandal and preferential treatment. The crux of it is that Hillary Clinton's brother is leading the EB-5 investor visa recruitment for this.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...6.html?hp=t3_r

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:11 PM

After the redesign this is a total nothingburger of a building, IMHO. Build it, don't build it. Whatever.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
After the redesign this is a total nothingburger of a building, IMHO. Build it, don't build it. Whatever.
I don't agree with the sentiment that if a building isn't an architectural achievement it might as well not even exist.

This is a dead lifeless area and the lot faces a concrete wall of 676. An injection of this many people into the area and the activity the community center could bring would be huge.

The original proposal was absolutely absurd considering the location. The new design looks fine and wouldn't be nearly as derided if it wasn't compared to the first pie in the sky rendering.

Last edited by allovertown; Apr 2, 2015 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 7:48 PM

Quote:
I disagree with this sentiment. A community center is a great thing for the people of Chinatown

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I don't agree with the sentiment that if a building isn't an architectural achievement it might as well not even exist.

This is a dead lifeless area and the lot faces a concrete wall of 676. An injection of this many people into the area and the activity the community center could bring would be huge.

The original proposal was absolutely absurd considering the location. The new design looks fine and wouldn't be nearly as derided if it wasn't compared to the first pie in the sky rendering.
Agree. It's not always solely about height or amazing design. Achieving density and vibrancy and street life in a dead area is also very important. And that's not to say we should be complacent and accept except blah design on a widespread level. But they will not all be stunners and need not all be.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Therein lies the problem. They never had any intention of building the fantastic original render. It was only put out there to raise money from investors and approval from the community (and they continue to use the outdated render for PR purposes). It seems to me this is textbook bait-and-switch and intentional deception.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:30 PM

Quote:
It seems to me this is textbook bait-and-switch and intentional deception.

Well, I suppose if that's what it takes to get a worthy project done, then so be it.

A case of the end justifying the means.

Well, let's wait and see if Hillary Clinton's brother can line up those Chinese green card buyers for us.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Well, let's wait and see if Hillary Clinton's brother can line up those Chinese green card buyers for us.
Chinatown Eastern Community Centerghazi!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Chinatown Eastern Community Centerghazi!
. . . . -Gate, that is.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
I disagree. Have you ever been to 10th and Vine? Very unwelcoming area. A 21 story building - no matter the design - is going to do wonders for this area and will likely spur future development in the area.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 12:37 AM

Another article from Philadelphia Business Journal about Hillary Clinton's brother working on the project
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...mixed-use.html

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 6:37 PM
Hello

Inquirer late to the party. Another story from philly.com

There is a rendering

Anthony Rodham has been hired to market a long-planned $75 million residential and office tower at 10th and Vine Streets in Chinatown. Rendering by KlingStubbins

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...F3GwPwu2jTi.99

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I disagree. Have you ever been to 10th and Vine? Very unwelcoming area. A 21 story building - no matter the design - is going to do wonders for this area and will likely spur future development in the area.
I agree with this 100%. 10th and Vine is unwelcoming, yes, but it's ready to pop. Townhouse infill is being built there right now, Goldtex is open, and there are plenty of new restaurants in the Loft District. A 21 story building makes complete sense along the VSE. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that it's taken this long for investors to look at building new in a neighborhood that is a few blocks from the geographic center of Center City.

A lot of locals, myself included, have a bad habit of thinking of this city block to block, rather than as a whole. Getting outside investors behind this - the kind of people who only see how close 10th and Vine is to Franklin Square, a new Market East, and two subway lines - could easily make it happen. If there's money to invest in this, there is money to be made. If the PCDC doesn't do it, someone else will. It's only a matter of time.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 2:20 PM

This has received more funding:

Quote:
YES to $3.7 million of $4.9 million requested by the Philadelphia Chinatown Develpoment Corp. for its proposed Chinatown Community Center with 143 housing units plus stores and recreational space
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...pOgoQlsLj8S.99

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 2:32 AM

Slightly updated renderings

http://www.agooslovera.com/portfolio/2769/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 2:36 AM

Bad. Very bad. The architect should put his hand on the stove and think about what he's done.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 12:22 PM
BANNED

I just want to know when its going to start.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Bad. Very bad. The architect should put his hand on the stove and think about what he's done.
Is it that bad? Or is that view based on the previous - and quite amazing - rendering? Compared to that one, yes this one is not so great. But it certainly wouldn't be the worst building going up now.

Also, keep things in perspective. This is supposed to a community center with housing aimed at Chinatown (read: poor) residents. I find it much more objectionable when ugly architecture is applied to luxury towers, like 10 Ritt, Symphony House, and the current design for 1900 Chestnut.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Damn, you're negative on this project. I'd say the new renderings are a modest improvement over the last renderings. Again I really don't know what you expect for a project in the middle of no where, facing the concrete barrier wall of a highway.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Damn, you're negative on this project. I'd say the new renderings are a modest improvement over the last renderings. Again I really don't know what you expect for a project in the middle of no where, facing the concrete barrier wall of a highway.
Yes. Very. Although, I don't believe it's going to see the light of day - at least not in the foreseeable future and not in this form - so the criticism is a bit tongue in cheek.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive