HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 7:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I agree. This is becoming less of an issue with each passing year as people get used to the idea of ordering their groceries and having them delivered... a bit like they did 100 years ago, come to think of it.

I remember my old urban studies prof Chris Leo (who I'm sure a few others among you had) describing grocery delivery as the way of the future nearly 20 years ago... turns out he was likely right
The funny thing is this is not new. Decades ago, we had milk delivery, etc. We shopped via catalogues, while Eaton’s trucks were seen everywhere delivering goods. My concern is we will become socially detached as we leave our homes less and less.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
The funny thing is this is not new. Decades ago, we had milk delivery, etc. We shopped via catalogues, while Eaton’s trucks were seen everywhere delivering goods. My concern is we will become socially detached as we leave our homes less and less.
Why is this a concern to a recluse? Isn't it your dream?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Hahaha

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
I definitely remember when it was Canwest. I was always proud that we had such a large media company headquartered here in Winnipeg. It was also great that Izzy Asper was determined to operate the company from Winnipeg instead of moving it to Toronto like so many others have done. It was a sad day for our city when Canwest went under. Not only because of the loss of jobs but also the loss of prestige for our city.
This.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 2:53 AM

Anyone know if they decided against putting LED lighting up the building? You’d think they would have done it while they were finishing the cladding.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 3:36 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Anyone know if they decided against putting LED lighting up the building? You’d think they would have done it while they were finishing the cladding.
I was wondering about that. Ever since they did a small test area on one of the corners. It was received with mixed results among us here, but since it was a small test area, I felt that maybe it should have been expanded more to see how it would go...?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 5:25 PM

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 5:44 PM
What could go wrong?

I know it was met with a bunch of colour hating before but I quite like the green logo on the black and blue building.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 5:52 PM

^ I think it looks OK. If there has to be a corporate logo up there, I'd say that they could do worse than TD's.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I know it was met with a bunch of colour hating before but I quite like the green logo on the black and blue building.
Agreed, I think it looks sharp and the contrast is awesome.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
The owners/board of 238 Portage need to clean that f@ckin graffiti. Show some pride.
I think that's the parkade on garry street, ironically, owned by Artis haha
Quote:
I hope it's not dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
k that's sexy.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I was wondering about that. Ever since they did a small test area on one of the corners. It was received with mixed results among us here, but since it was a small test area, I felt that maybe it should have been expanded more to see how it would go...?
I think the idea of the lights was well received – it just looked like they were testing really crappy ones. The gaps between pieces were clearly visible from the street – looked cheap. They need to find out what is being used on Bell MTS Tower.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
I think the idea of the lights was well received – it just looked like they were testing really crappy ones. The gaps between pieces were clearly visible from the street – looked cheap. They need to find out what is being used on Bell MTS Tower.
That's their building too, so yeah I'm sure they know

Maybe that cost deterred them?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 12:36 AM
I am a typical

From that perspective it actually would look worse if the TD logo were on the short edge.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 12:45 AM

They started putting up the third one today, also off centre. It seems like they were designed for the edges to be bracketed onto the finishing strips. Could have looked better/cooler if they went to one side of each large edge to make it look more purposeful and modern, like Richardson

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 1:08 AM
I am a typical

Based on the photos I've seen where Richardson's logo is always peeking out of a corner, I think their placement is more strategic to ensure it's seen around the other buildings as opposed to just some kind of aesthetic value. If Richardson's logo were in the centre, you wouldn't see it in that photo. 300 Main isn't as obstructed so they don't have to do that.

Actually I see what you're talking about now, there are 5 windows on one side and 4 on the other. At least it's the opposite off-set on the other side, but that is kind of weird.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Based on the photos I've seen where Richardson's logo is always peeking out of a corner, I think their placement is more strategic to ensure it's seen around the other buildings as opposed to just some kind of aesthetic value. If Richardson's logo were in the centre, you wouldn't see it in that photo. 300 Main isn't as obstructed so they don't have to do that.

Actually I see what you're talking about now, there are 5 windows on one side and 4 on the other. At least it's the opposite off-set on the other side, but that is kind of weird.
I don't think so – they're all on the left. If that were the case they would have put the west- and north-facing ones on the right side, as they'd be WAY more visible from SB Main and EB Portage.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 6:25 PM

I asked and was told they will be centred, just after all are installed.

Definitely better on the broad sides than short, IMO

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 8:43 PM

I like the green TD logo up there. Nice contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I think it looks OK. If there has to be a corporate logo up there, I'd say that they could do worse than TD's.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 9:16 PM

hahaha nice

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan