HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 8:17 PM
Ignore these four words.

Mother Nature sure has a way to put blue and green together - quite beautifully.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 9:01 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWednesday View Post
Clashing colours.
Blue and green should never been seen.
the building isn't really blue...it reads black for the most part...(not a fan)

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Better than what it was, by a long shot.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 1:17 PM
BANNED

F*ck yeah lol.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post

moved to construction in database

Is there a way to get them to swap out the old look with the other drawing for 360 Main St.?

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?buildingID=4962

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:45 PM

In 2 weeks 300 Main will be in progress above the roof.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I get WAY more blue than black – depends where you are though. Walking by on the street, definitely black; at any distance blue is by far the dominant colour.

It'll be interesting to see how all these new black/grey buildings age in 5, 10, 15 years. Some buildings may age well but some materials could look awful, fast. That's one thing the Alt has going for it – already looks faded.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 4:27 PM

"reads black" because it's dark blue colour with the black strips. It obviously blue as I stare at it out my window everyday. Although I do agree the green TD logo doesn't quite fit..

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
In 2 weeks 300 Main will be in progress above the roof.
That's awesome news! Finally

Quote:
We'll see if someone else steps forward and picks up the site and develops it. It might be coincidence even someone does. This isn't the only development opportunity in Winnipeg.

Fortress scammed people with false guarantees to buy their syndicated mortgages. That doesn't make Skycity a scam. Fortress syndicated mortgages have been used to build dozens of projects with hundreds of units all across Canada. The difference here and in Regina is that the market reacted smaller than expected. It was over once the developer went bankrupt and not one of Fortress' other development partners step forward. That doesn't make either city any lesser because these projects ended up too ambitious for the respective markets. It happens in Toronto all the time too. They aren't called scams when they fail.

There's still a lot of shady financing formulas and presale tactics going on outside of the syndicated mortgage sphere.
Right, and to that extent one could also argue that had the developer not had such challenges, then it could have gone through. It is possible for a developer to secure financing when 40-50% of condos are sold, this one was advertised as "over 55%" sold, and Edenshaw backed out last fall when they said "nothing was moving forward" - there was more to it than just the market of Winnipeg here.

Although not condos, with 300 main or TNS we can see that if the right parties is behind a project, it can be a success in such a market. TNS is a much larger development despite not being as tall as Sky City or 300 main.

Capitol Pointe has been a dud in Regina for almost a decade now. When the d condo development fell apart, it was still saved and that seemed to entertain much more difficulty than Sky City. The issue has more to do with why Sky City never took off in the first place.

There is something to be said about Fortress being behind the development, and same goes with Regina.

I recall someone posting early in that thread (I don't remember who specifically - simplicity perhaps) that pointed out Fortress had never themselves built anything despite appearing as though they had advertised as much

I don't see why that type of development couldn't be possible in Winnipeg. If it was already u/c it would have given many more condo fence buyers incentive to purchase. There is an element of Fortress blame being legitimate with that project.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:35 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
I find that so funny how not even a decade ago, TD's logo was on 201 Portage (first with the old TD sign when it was built in 1990, then the solid green square sign), only to be taken down and briefly replaced by Canwest's old logo, then later the newer logo, before replaced again by RBC's logo.

Then seeing the TD bank logo on a building that never had a logo until 4 years ago with Artis REIT.

It's like the banks around town are making a big Kansas... or Winnipeg City Shuffle.

EDIT: Yes, I am aware the existing banks in the concourse didn't move. It's just a matter of their other branches moving around.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Would have looked WAY better on the short side. Could someone please ask them to move it there?

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 11:38 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Would have looked WAY better on the short side. Could someone please ask them to move it there?
I agree, it would look better on the shorter sides.

Although I just noticed that the sign itself isn't exactly aligned. As someone with OCD, this is driving me insane now.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:56 PM
keep the good times going

I drove by last night at about 10:00, they were pouring more concrete.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:07 PM

Sucks for the people who have an office seat rite behind that sign.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:17 PM

Hopefully this really pressures Scotiabank to put pressure on the landlord of their atrium space – BMO in a beautiful building, TD and RBC now both in newly renovated buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I agree, it would look better on the shorter sides.

Although I just noticed that the sign itself isn't exactly aligned. As someone with OCD, this is driving me insane now.
It seems like it was done to get maximum visibility west and south without having to put a sign on all sides.

Quote:
That's all mechanical up there, you can see there's no windows, was just finished to look like it goes to the top. Before reno it was just solid brown up there.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Now I will never be able to unsee that.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
At one time there were no windows on the very top floors anyway. For anyone with an office seat where the TD sign is, at least it will provide shade from the afternoon sun.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
We'll see if someone else steps forward and picks up the site and develops it. It might be coincidence even someone does. This isn't the only development opportunity in Winnipeg.

Fortress scammed people with false guarantees to buy their syndicated mortgages. That doesn't make Skycity a scam. Fortress syndicated mortgages have been used to build dozens of projects with hundreds of units all across Canada. The difference here and in Regina is that the market reacted smaller than expected. It was over once the developer went bankrupt and not one of Fortress' other development partners step forward. That doesn't make either city any lesser because these projects ended up too ambitious for the respective markets. It happens in Toronto all the time too. They aren't called scams when they fail.

There's still a lot of shady financing formulas and presale tactics going on outside of the syndicated mortgage sphere.
I think I agree... SkyCity is not a scam.

You're somewhat right about the project's failure... it's not their criminality alone that tanked this, although it's ultimately up to the developer to put the right product in place. Condos are more overbuilt than apartments in downtown Winnipeg, so that is a misstep on Fortress' part. Our market isn't the strongest but it has improved.

I don't think this failed because they're crooks, I think it failed because they didn't know what they were doping here.

A key factor behind this project's failure was also the inflated land cost... I think they paid 3x market for the site, which amounted to a pittance in Toronto but made a big difference here in the end. Now we're unsure how this plot comes back to the market at a low enough price, and other lot owners have raised their asking thresholds. With potential increase to development fees and the closing of all the recent development grant programs and new product on top of that, developers may (not sure) sit back a bit.

Of course building very high was the solution to overcome these land costs and that's where they ran into problems. I think they simply saw cheap land, overpaid thinking they were getting a deal that Winnipeggers were simply too stupid to take, and couldn't make the deal work. If this were a more modest 20-25 storey tower, we'd have a project.

Where their ethics and reputation came into play, however, was perhaps the city's hesitation to give them the same grants as other developers.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Weird that Artis put up brand new signage with their name on it in the past year and then took them down for the TD logo. Why can't they both be up there? There's so many sides to the building.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:53 PM

First section of roof is now free of gravel...the membrane being held down by plywood and sandbags.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan