HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 11:38 PM

My dream light rail and streetcar system for the Phoenix metro area

I have shared this at other forums, however, since I am a new member on this forum, I think this is worth sharing here.

In the Phoenix area, light rail ridership has exceeded expectations. I personally think the system should be expanded in the future. In my dream system, each line would have its own color, with the following:
  • Red Line - Existing route plus north/west extension to Metrocenter Mall and east extension to Power Road and Superstition Springs Center. Serves Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa.
  • Blue Line - Existing route (including Downtown Mesa extension) plus planned Capitol/I-10 West extension and an additional extension west on I-10 and north on Loop 101 to Westgate. Serves Glendale, Phoenix, Tempe, and Mesa.
  • Green Line - The planned Tempe Streetcar (http://www.valleymetro.org/projects_and_planning/project_detail/tempe_streetcar/).
  • Silver Line - Baseline and Central Avenue up Central to Indian School Road, east on Indian School Road, north on SR 51, east on Shea Blvd, and north on Tatum to Paradise Valley Mall. Serves Phoenix including the northeastern part of the city.
  • Orange Line - From Arrowhead Towne Center, east on Bell Road, south on 59th Avenue, east on Glendale Avenue, south on Central Avenue, east on Loop 202, south to Sky Harbor Airport, east on Broadway, south on McClintock, and east on Chandler Blvd to Chandler Fashion Center. Serves Glendale, Peoria, Phoenix, Tempe, and Chandler.
  • Pink Line - From Chandler Blvd and 48th Street, east on Chandler Blvd/Williams Field Road to Power Road, and north on Power Road to Superstition Springs Center. Serves Phoenix (Ahwatukee), Chandler, Gilbert, and Mesa.
  • Brown Line - From Scottsdale Road and Frank Lloyd Wright south to Chandler Blvd, and east on Chandler Blvd to Chandler Fashion Center. Serves Scottsdale, Tempe, and Chandler.
  • Purple Line - 75th Avenue and Baseline to Power Road via Baseline, and north on Power Road to Superstition Springs Center. Serves Phoenix (Laveen), Tempe, Mesa, and Gilbert.
  • Gold Line - Downtown Phoenix from US Airways Center/Chase Field, east via existing alignment, south on Dobson Road, east on Southern Avenue, and south on Gilbert Road to Queen Creek Road. Serves Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler.
For efficient use of rail equipment, Orange Line trains that arriving inbound at Chandler Fashion Center would depart outbound as the Brown Line and vice-versa. Similarly, Pink Line trains arriving inbound at Superstition Springs Center would depart outbound as the Purple Line and vice-versa.

I personally think the Pink, Brown, and Purple Lines could be popular with mall shoppers. The Pink Line would connect Chandler Fashion Center, SanTan Village, and Superstition Springs Center. The Brown Line would connect Scottsdale Fashion Square and Chandler Fashion Center. Finally, the Purple Line would connect Arizona Mills and Superstition Springs Center.

For those who were wondering about the choices of my colors, here are my reasons:
  • The Red, Blue, and Green Lines are named as such as these are actually being planned (plus with my own extensions), and those are typically the first three colors used by most transit agencies.
  • The Brown Line was routed to avoid Hispanic areas to avoid being offensive (The Asian-American communities in Atlanta objected to the Yellow Line which is why it was renamed to the Gold Line).
  • The Pink Line was named as such since it passes mostly through politically conservative areas which likely has a lower than average gay population for the Phoenix area, thus fewer gays would be offended and gay stereotypes would not be promoted.
  • Like with MARTA in Atlanta, I used Gold instead of Yellow, to avoid offending the Asian communities on the Dobson corridor.
  • Silver, Orange, and Purple are completely random choices.
What does anyone think about these lines?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation