HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 5:46 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
President's Choice condos, anyone?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 7:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
President's Choice condos, anyone?
Memories of Vancouver?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 4:23 AM
Progressive Curmudgeon

One of my desired retailers is coming to town!

T&T is going to anchor a development at Hunt Club and Riverside.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterlooInvestor View Post
**Please use this thread to discuss retail/commercial storefront topics.

[Note: Feel free to change/move this thread however the locals desire.]

So I was browsing Toronto-based Carbon Computing's website and I noticed a new location opening up. I thought I'd post the news here to let you all know: http://www.carbonation.com/contact/index.html

Ottawa: 1065 Wellington Street West. Judging by Google Maps, there appears to be somewhat of an urban strip there.

Thanks for the heads up. This looks like a great store - dedicated to Macs no less. Now if only a retail Linux store would open.

As for stores I would like to see. I would love a really high end department store like in France or the NK in Stockholm or Harrods in London or even the old Simpsons (now the Bay) on Queen Street in Toronto. I can't understand why the Bay on Rideau doesn't do a massive renovation. Its such a run down place at the moment.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikerrin View Post
As for stores I would like to see. I would love a really high end department store like in France or the NK in Stockholm or Harrods in London or even the old Simpsons (now the Bay) on Queen Street in Toronto. I can't understand why the Bay on Rideau doesn't do a massive renovation. Its such a run down place at the moment.
Run down is a bit of soft on wording. Have you tried the exit on George St? The doors, stairs, and tiles are basically gone.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
One of my desired retailers is coming to town!

T&T is going to anchor a development at Hunt Club and Riverside.
We are talking about the supermarket right?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2008, 11:39 PM
Busy Beaver

The new Canadian Tire on Carling has opened. Somewhat quietly, as I didn't even know until I passed by it today and saw people going up the escalators. It's one of those setups that have a side escalator for carts and it's kind of weird seeing carts go up and down separately from the shoppers. The store itself seems run of the mill inside, except for the wide open view of Carling Avenue below when you're at the cash registers. The parking lot feels like the lower level of Galleries de Hull. I'll try and snap some photos next time I'm there.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 10:59 PM
Busy Beaver

Here's a pano of the store. It's quite a hulk on Carling, but I'm crossing my fingers that it does some good to the bleak sidewalks there. The Mark's Work Wearhouse is certainly unique, with doors to the sidewalk and the parking lot behind. The place is basically a stacked powercentre, with the strip mall part in front and the big box store on top. If others are to follow, Carling could become quite the busy strip.

There's a nice amount of natural light inside, and on entering and leaving, you get a view of Carling:

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 11:02 PM
Still optimistic

I love strip malls that put their parking in THE BACK.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 11:30 PM
National Capital Region

thanks for the update, I was looking forward to seeing that one completed. looks like a great addition to Carling to me.... nice that they have Mark's onto the street. hopefully we'll see some redevelopment of the strip malls along that stretch! any news on what's happening at the old CTC site?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 1:37 AM
Busy Beaver

Which one? For the old Carling site, my suspicion is that Loblaws is itching to get out of Carlingwood Mall and go across the street. The Independent Grocer there isn't doing fast business and might suffer even more with CT having moved. There isn't really a sizeable Loblaws north of the Queensway west of downtown within the Greenbelt (the Westboro Superstore does not count) and they'd have enough clout to get into that prime spot.

As for the old CT Westboro location, I have no idea, but I'm sure condo developers are falling over each other's feet trying to get that site. Watch the nuns across the street oppose any tall buildings that would threaten their privacy. That high wall on Richmond isn't for nothing

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 1:50 AM
Closed account

That reminds me of a Superstore on Weston Rd in Toronto. While it's still big box, it definitely an improvement on the street presence of most of those developments. Hopefully Loblaws would consider something similar.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2008, 3:18 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Which one? For the old Carling site, my suspicion is that Loblaws is itching to get out of Carlingwood Mall and go across the street. The Independent Grocer there isn't doing fast business and might suffer even more with CT having moved. There isn't really a sizeable Loblaws north of the Queensway west of downtown within the Greenbelt (the Westboro Superstore does not count) and they'd have enough clout to get into that prime spot.

As for the old CT Westboro location, I have no idea, but I'm sure condo developers are falling over each other's feet trying to get that site. Watch the nuns across the street oppose any tall buildings that would threaten their privacy. That high wall on Richmond isn't for nothing
yeah I've heard some rumblings about Loblaws doing something there... I think they might own the site, but I'm not 100% on that.

the last I heard for the Westboro location was a rumour on "Miss Vicky's" blog that it had been bought by a residential developer

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 5:44 PM
Mooderator

Thanks for the pics, Kitchissippi. I was at the Carlingwood location back in early Feb. and they had signs up saying they were closing as soon as this new location opened, but I didn't think it was this soon.

The Carlingwood store was in a shambles.. I guess no one was willing to put any effort into keeping the place tidy since they knew of the impending move. It was one of the ugliest Cdn tire stores I had ever seen. Loblaws would have to do a major reno to get that place up to par.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 9:35 PM
Busy Beaver

Knowing what Loblaws did to College Square on Baseline (which used to be "Shopper's City West"), if they got the Fairlawn Plaza site they'd probably level it and build from scratch.

With more buildings structured like the new Canadian Tire, I could really see how LRT would be great for Carling in the future, surface, underground or overhead SkyTrain style. I just went to a medical appointment on Carling, and, man, as much as I would have liked to take my bike or public transit, it was just way too inconvenient, so I drove 5 kms and spent 7 bucks on parking.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 10:03 PM
National Capital Region

from alex cullen's site..

Quote:
Glabar Park - Judy Patterson
Judy noted that the community association is concerned about the future of Fairlawn Plaza and has written to Loblaws to get more information but has not yet had a reply.

Loblaws owns the plaza, and since Canadian Tire will be moving out sometime in the next year it is not clear what will anchor the plaza. There is some concern in the community that the lack of a viable tenant will cause Loblaws or someone else to look at developing the site for other uses.

Councillor Cullen noted that there are lots of rumours about what might happen to the Fairlawn site, and about what might go into the empty space that used to be occupied by the Alex Dayton Centre at Carlingwood, but there is no information available about anyone’s plans at this time. He will
report on this at a future meeting when more information becomes available.
from feb 08 ward meeting
Quote:
There was some discussion on the future of Fairlawn Plaza, now that Canadian Tire is moving out.

Councillor Cullen noted that the property is owned by Loblaws, which will probably be looking for new tenants, but so far no details on Loblaws’ plans for the property have emerged.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 9:41 PM

A new store announced for Rideau Centre:

Lacoste opening in October

Rideau Centre has announced a lot of exciting new stores... unfortunately most of hem are exclusively fashion stores... don't get me wrong it's nice and we need more of them.. but it'd be nice to get stores like pottery barn, william sonoma, etc...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
A new store announced for Rideau Centre:

Lacoste opening in October

Rideau Centre has announced a lot of exciting new stores... unfortunately most of hem are exclusively fashion stores... don't get me wrong it's nice and we need more of them.. but it'd be nice to get stores like pottery barn, william sonoma, etc...
Abercrombie & Fitch is looking to open a franchise in Ottawa, as in Vancouver and Calgary. I wonder where it will go. It sucks to see stores' lease being revoked to accomodate new stores.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Abercrombie & Fitch is looking to open a franchise in Ottawa, as in Vancouver and Calgary. I wonder where it will go. It sucks to see stores' lease being revoked to accomodate new stores.
do you know for a fact that A & F is looking in Ottawa ? that would be great to finally have them here !

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 2:43 AM
National Capital Region

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ms_march2008.htm

Lamel Real Estate Holdings Ltd. sold approximately 1.9 acres of land to Canadian Tire Corporation Limited located west of Bank Street to the south of Heron Road directly behind their current location for a total consideration of $2,800,000 or $33/sf of site area. Not bad for land that does not have frontage on an existing public road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy