HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 7:59 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesthetic View Post
I think in terms of personal preference a self contained store in the downtown area would be ideal, but St. Laurent isn't a terrible location either. It's probably the next best in Ottawa. It's close enough that Orleans residents will be able to get to it. It's not completely out of the way for Gatineau residents and many Ottawans know the Simons brand from Montreal. I just wonder how well the department store, mall model will work in the future.
I dunno, it's kind of out of the way for me.. however I have a wife from Quebec City and I will most likely be dragged here on numerous occasions.

At least we'll be able to visit the Kiddytown warehouse on St-Laurent at the same time. I am peeing my pants in anticipation.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 2:32 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
Most Ottawans have most likely been to the stand-alone Simons in downtown Montréal.
Wow, that's a bold statement. I, for one, have never even heard of Simons, let alone been to it, and I'd be willing to bet that most Ottawans have never heard of it either. Should we start a poll?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Wow, that's a bold statement. I, for one, have never even heard of Simons, let alone been to it, and I'd be willing to bet that most Ottawans have never heard of it either. Should we start a poll?
Well Ottawa and fashionable people usually don't go in the same sentence. So I'm sure that most people wouldn't have heard of the store.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 3:21 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Well Ottawa and fashionable people usually don't go in the same sentence. So I'm sure that most people wouldn't have heard of the store.
OK, I had to go look it up. And, well, IMO, fashionable (as in SAKS, Holt Renfrew, etc.) this is not.

Yes, fashion is in the eye of the beholder (or the wallet holder) but come on... is Ottawa really going to go for this:

http://www.simons.ca

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 3:29 AM

Quote:
OK, I had to go look it up. And, well, IMO, fashionable (as in SAKS, Holt Renfrew, etc.) this is not.

Yes, fashion is in the eye of the beholder (or the wallet holder) but come on... is Ottawa really going to go for this:

You haven't been to Paris or Milan recently haven't you? Also there are more higher end brands at Simons than Holt Renfrew. Plus Holt Renfrew is mostly for middle aged women that want to show the pink bag to their friends so they look like they have money.

It reminds me of an old coworker that put her Giant Tiger bag into the HR bag, because she didn't want to look poor.

But yeah, if you find that SAKS or HR are fashionable, you're at least 2 years old on trends. Simons has a reputation for NEVER having clothing in their store for more than a season. I got a 2009 Armani blazer for 75% off.

(sorry to being a prick, but I manage fashion shows and select models so).

This was presented at Rome this Spring. You can't even have the 2009-2010 glasses in Ottawa, or even in Toronto, I had checked for them.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
Most Ottawans have most likely been to the stand-alone Simons in downtown Montréal. However, Simons also has other stores in the Montréal area, which are contained in malls and seem to do just fine, including the stores at Promenades Saint-Bruno in Saint-Bruno on the South Shore and the one at Carrefour Laval.

Also, keep in mind that for the most part, Simons is more moderately priced and affordable than Les Ailes de la Mode, which may also play a role in it's success.
When I lived in Sherbrooke, it was always full, even if it's a small town. What I really enjoy about the store is you may find a $1100 pair of pants besides a $40 one. It's like no one judges you about what you can afford, and they try to attract the best designers for every price range. I think the success is mostly that they have killer sales since you know they don't keep the clothing season for long. I remember buying a D&G shirt for $30 while it was still $275 at Harry Rosen's.

Anyways, I found an old article when it was assumed that one was opening in Eaton Centre.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/comp...26_70881_70881

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Most Ottawans have most likely been to the stand-alone Simons in downtown Montréal.
Maybe I should clarify. If anyone from Ottawa knows and has been to Simons, it's more than likely to the downtown store in Montréal. I don't think many people from Ottawa take the 2.5 hour drive to go to, say, the location at Promenades Saint-Bruno on the South Shore.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nammo View Post
Do you live downtown? There's a parking problem already at Rideau Centre and the Byward market. .........
I hear this all the time and it always surprises me. In the past 25 years I have never had the slightest problem parking at either Rideau Centre or Byward Market. This falls into the "urban myth" category, in my view.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 1:50 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
You haven't been to Paris or Milan recently haven't you?
No, but I understand that these large fashion-conscious cities are far more akin to Montreal than to Ottawa.

Quote:
(sorry to being a prick, but I manage fashion shows and select models so).
No offence taken.

Quote:
This was presented at Rome this Spring. You can't even have the 2009-2010 glasses in Ottawa, or even in Toronto, I had checked for them.

To me, this is butt-ugly style. But then again, to the people buying this, my Levi's 501s and Mountain Equipment Coop GoreTex is probably pretty ugly too.

If Simons can make a business of selling this kind of merchandise, then good for them, but who *actually* buys this stuff? Is it the same people who are willing to pay $483/sq.ft. for a 393 sq.ft. unit in 360Lofts?? (see thread)

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 2:41 PM

Quote:
No, but I understand that these large fashion-conscious cities are far more akin to Montreal than to Ottawa.

No offence taken.

To me, this is butt-ugly style. But then again, to the people buying this, my Levi's 501s and Mountain Equipment Coop GoreTex is probably pretty ugly too.

If Simons can make a business of selling this kind of merchandise, then good for them, but who *actually* buys this stuff? Is it the same people who are willing to pay $483/sq.ft. for a 393 sq.ft. unit in 360Lofts?? (see thread)
The stores are among the most successful in QC. So yes, the demand is there in QC. I never said that it would work in Ottawa. But if it can be successful in a 160k people town, it stands a chance. But I enjoyed living in Sherbrooke much more than I did in Ottawa, culture-wise.

I could never wear my 3/4 pants D&G suit in Ottawa. I would have been frowned upon. I have no problem whatsoever doing it in MTL.

I bet you haven't been to the Plateau in MTL either, or DT Toronto if you complain about the price per sf and the size of the units.

Anyways, this is something that you would never see in Ottawa either:

Part of growing up Ottawa is embracing culture. I was told once at work that my clothing wasn't appropriate for meeting clients. I told them that at least my clothing wasn't designed in the 80s. (at least a link to the Skyscrapers). I never heard from him afterwards.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I hear this all the time and it always surprises me. In the past 25 years I have never had the slightest problem parking at either Rideau Centre or Byward Market. This falls into the "urban myth" category, in my view.
I think it's more about "free" parking.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 3:09 PM

If a US-based fashion retailer (say, Macy's) came to Canada, would it do well?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 6:30 PM

If only. Nordstrom's would be even better.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 12:44 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
The stores are among the most successful in QC. So yes, the demand is there in QC. I never said that it would work in Ottawa. But if it can be successful in a 160k people town, it stands a chance. But I enjoyed living in Sherbrooke much more than I did in Ottawa, culture-wise.

I could never wear my 3/4 pants D&G suit in Ottawa. I would have been frowned upon. I have no problem whatsoever doing it in MTL.

I bet you haven't been to the Plateau in MTL either, or DT Toronto if you complain about the price per sf and the size of the units.

Part of growing up Ottawa is embracing culture. I was told once at work that my clothing wasn't appropriate for meeting clients. I told them that at least my clothing wasn't designed in the 80s. (at least a link to the Skyscrapers). I never heard from him afterwards.
He is dressed like a girl...

Look, I know I'm far from fashionable, or know what fashionable is these days, but common sense tells me this is straight up ugly, and if dressing like that is "fashionable", then thank god Ottawa isn't "fashionable".
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 2:37 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
He is dressed like a girl...

Look, I know I'm far from fashionable, or know what fashionable is these days, but common sense tells me this is straight up ugly, and if dressing like that is "fashionable", then thank god Ottawa isn't "fashionable".
While you would never catch me wearing an outfit like this either, I actually think that this is one of the least offensive of the styles listed on the Simons website. It looks vaguely reminiscent of the "Preppy" style from the 70s and 80s.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 4:56 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:

That outfit is palatable only because the model is young and good looking. To prove my point, here's our mayor wearing it:

oooh so fashionable

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
That outfit is palatable only because the model is young and good looking. To prove my point, here's our mayor wearing it:

oooh so fashionable
That's the funniest thing I've seen all week

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 1:11 PM
Mooderator

Just missing the Giant Tiger handbag.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 2:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I must report a similar experience. There is a problem with parking if you expect to park right outside the front door of your Byward Market restaurant or right on Rideau itself if you are going shopping at the Rideau Centre.

As d_jeffrey said, people think there is a parking problem because they expect free parking.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 2:25 PM

I suspected as much - my attitude is that if you can't afford the parking, you shouldn't have purchased the car! Too many people in Ottawa are still in the "circle for an hour looking for the shortest walk" category. I suspect they would have stress attacks were Ottawa ever to graduate to the valet parking category.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa