HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 3:34 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The CBC had an interesting guest this morning from Australia. He was talking about our lack of seriousness in eliminating road fatalities and injuries. He stated that close to 90% of accidents are due to driver error and that we need to design better roads to prevent accidents. He said that this is best accomplished by dividing even two lane roads and incorporating frequent passing lanes and creating more traffic circles where accidents tend to be at oblique angles which are less dangerous. This will eliminate a great number of head-on and T-bone accidents that cause the most deaths. He also said divided roads do not need to have wide separations, just something to prevent most traffic crossovers.
I like that dividing concrete barrier. Highways like to play numbers..but if that number is part of your family, then what?

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 4:52 AM
Awesome!

Yet, another fatal crash on the Super-2 section of Hwy 50 tonight

https://twitter.com/mattskubeCTV/sta...10545086316547
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 3:45 PM
You call that a knife?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 11:54 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

The A-50 is IMO a good super-2 highway but traffic volumes have increased substantially. At both ends of the super-2 they are well above the 10,000 AADT that is the threshold for twinning. (In some cases it's close to double that.) And I am pretty sure almost the entire highway is now at 10,000 or slightly above it.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 4:13 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the odds? Is there similar fatal accident numbers on hwy7 or other super 2s? Its a deplorable situation and hard to believe of the prevalence, especially considering its recent construction... I've driven on parts of it (Gatineau - Montebello) in the winter and did not notice any flaws or issues..

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:27 AM
National Capital Region

Study for A-50 widening Gatineau to Mirable in Quebec's 2017-2027 infrastructure plan
https://www.tresor.gouv.qc.ca/filead...astructure.pdf

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:33 PM

In the meantime, maybe a couple Jersey Barriers wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This would make this already slow route even slower no? Google maps might show the routes as almost equal to many points in Montreal from the MacDonald Cartier bridge but on the 417 you can easily and safely average 20-25km over the speed limit wheras on the 50 often you will be forced to travel below the speed limit and doing much more than 10 over is reckless.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 9:39 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It's not really designed for that as the centre line (with rumble strip) is only slightly wider than a typical 2-lane highway's centre line. The lanes would have to be redrawn into the shoulder to permit some buffer space next to the barrier. It may adversely affect snow removal and drainage too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
This would make this already slow route even slower no? Google maps might show the routes as almost equal to many points in Montreal from the MacDonald Cartier bridge but on the 417 you can easily and safely average 20-25km over the speed limit wheras on the 50 often you will be forced to travel below the speed limit and doing much more than 10 over is reckless.
The 50 goes as fast as the slowest vehicle. There is nothing inherently dangerous about the design of the highway that would prevent you from safely traveling at speeds comparable to the 417. What typically happens is a line of cars will form behind the (relatively) slowest vehicle. When that pack reaches a passing lane zone, the cars will reorder (although everyone speeds up - please explain that to me?) and then settle back in to a new cruising speed based on the first vehicle in line.

With the lack of a centre median or barrier, the real danger is the much smaller margin of error for drivers if they stray toward the centre of the roadway.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 3:22 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Time to bump this thread after nearly 2 years of inactivity:

Work has begun on widening 8 km around Masson-Anges. Does anyone have pictures of that?

Also does anyone else feel that A50 hasn’t been widened simply due to lack of political will? If you look at the google satellite map, you can see that, where A50 goes through rocky terrain, the rocks have been blast right from the beginning so it’d have been possible to put down the 2nd set of lanes.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 3:48 PM

Money and political will. The Québec Ministry of Transportation jumped on the ruins of a former dam in the Ottawa River because a handful of stupid people died diving off of it over the last few years but hasn't acted on A50 that kills significantly more people going about their daily life.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 8:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I do not believe any widening work has started east of Buckingham. I will have to ask my wife who drove there recently.

The CAQ have said they are committed to widening sooner than later. So they will likely stick to what the Liberals had promised, at the very least.

They have said they may also install median barriers (jersey? cable?) along two lane sections that aren't being widened in the short term.

There is already a jersey barrier on a two lane section in the Mirabel area. Mirabel-Lachute is also set to be widened - and may already have started.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 9:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I know the widening has started but I thought it began with Gatineau first.

Yea, Gatineau booted their incumbent liberals in favour of CAQ so Legault’d better cash out on his promises.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 3:45 PM

I don't agree with all CAQ positions, but I believe they are sincere when they promise increased involvement in progressing the Outaouais (A50 widening, or at least safety measures, new hospital, light-rail). They also seem more open to working with those who have differing opinions (opposition parties, Trudeau Government), which is not something we can say about Ford. The next 4 years should be good for West Québec.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 7:46 PM

Well the 50 was supposed to be open and twinned by the time Mirabel opened, so they are only a little behind...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 8:02 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Well the 50 was supposed to be open and twinned by the time Mirabel opened, so they are only a little behind...
It also "didn't help" that Ottawa then got its own airport.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2018, 10:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
It also "didn't help" that Ottawa then got its own airport.
Ottawa had its own airport long before.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 2:43 PM

The 417 to Montreal, opening in 75' in anticipation for the 76' Olympics, didn't help.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Time to bump this thread after nearly 2 years of inactivity:

Work has begun on widening 8 km around Masson-Anges. Does anyone have pictures of that?

Also does anyone else feel that A50 hasn’t been widened simply due to lack of political will? If you look at the google satellite map, you can see that, where A50 goes through rocky terrain, the rocks have been blast right from the beginning so it’d have been possible to put down the 2nd set of lanes.
I didn't actually notice this on my Friday drive to Tremblant, though it was very slow and foggy around Gatineau so it could have been the construction.

I did notice that some crazy drivers continue to pass on the single lane sections (despite the weather). Not cool.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
I didn't actually notice this on my Friday drive to Tremblant, though it was very slow and foggy around Gatineau so it could have been the construction.

I did notice that some crazy drivers continue to pass on the single lane sections (despite the weather). Not cool.
I drove to Tremblant too - no construction has started

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation