HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 5:55 PM
True North

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I don't mind the height restrictions in the CBD, but I would like to see a few more buildings in the 30-35 around the Rideau Centre area.

Le Breton Flats is the ideal spot to build taller, maybe up to 600 feet, IMO.

I understand you perfectly from the design point of view. Some like to see a great variety in building design with different height, forms and proportions in an urban environment; some like to see more architectural experimentation just to spite things up a little, much like what is happening in cities like Dubai and Shanghai, or even Toronto for that matter, where the sky is the limit, literally.

But for Ottawa, I personally find the low profile cityscape quite charming and refreshing. Combining with the relatively small city blocks, it is very manageable, enjoyable, relaxed and spacious. It works perfectly with some of the shorter traditional buildings in town. They are not competing with each other. There are gentle dialogues between the old and the new architecture in a peaceful coexistence. It is not an easy thing to maintain, and it doesn't work for every city, but it works well here.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 11:02 PM

Not physical architecture, but moving forward digital architecture is becoming just as important. Estonia is now running most of their government digitally.
http://opendatastoriesottawa.ca/our-digital-future/

Full disclaimer: I just started this blog #shamelessselfpromotion

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 11:31 PM
True North

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergate View Post
Not physical architecture, but moving forward digital architecture is becoming just as important. Estonia is now running most of their government digitally.

I read an article somewhere about a company in Ottawa trying to develop a program to replace all physical forms of identification like driver's license in Ontario. It is something quite similar to this.

My concern is that a lot of these hi-tech developments are focusing on making the end users' lives more convenient, but not enough on the protection of the personal information those users have given up in order to enjoy that convenience. News of massive hacking, devious exploits of personal information and information leaks come almost regularly. The latest round named Spectre and Meltdown can't even be fixed properly without redesigning the processor. So where does it leave us?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bless-u View Post
I read an article somewhere about a company in Ottawa trying to develop a program to replace all physical forms of identification like driver's license in Ontario. It is something quite similar to this.

My concern is that a lot of these hi-tech developments are focusing on making the end users' lives more convenient, but not enough on the protection of the personal information those users have given up in order to enjoy that convenience. News of massive hacking, devious exploits of personal information and information leaks come almost regularly. The latest round named Spectre and Meltdown can't even be fixed properly without redesigning the processor. So where does it leave us?
In the case of Estonia, they are using some pretty heavy encryption, and when researchers found a potential flaw in the system, they stopped users from accessing it while they upgraded the protection.

Identity theft remains a huge problem in Canada, so as long as the system creator is willing to continue investing in security, it will leave the user at the same (or lower) level of risk.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergate View Post

Good job on the blog! Congrats on getting started.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Good job on the blog! Congrats on getting started.
Thank you!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 9:35 PM

This on the Alterna or Calridge parking lot off Lyon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbmtl View Post
HUMANITI Montréal - 120m - U/C - Hotel, condos, office

http://www.humanitimontreal.com/en

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 10:58 PM
Living With My Mother

Make it so!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 4:44 AM

That's a gorgeous project. I just read up on it. Too bad it wouldn't fly in our CBD since it's not 23 or 27 stories :p

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:51 PM

Tongue in cheek, obviously.

Paris baulks at 'horrible' eco-friendly public urinals http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45174382

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:51 PM

Vertical forest: tree-clad tower would be a first in Canada

The proposed Designers Walk building in Toronto will feature more than 450 trees - not in potted plants, but like a hillside, with the building acting as a host, architect Brian Brisbin says

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...medium=twitter

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 11:31 PM

Central Park Apartments, Songdo Korea
Google Maps Link

I was watching a video about an apartment tour in South Korea, and I really liked the look of the building. I linked the video below. I like the alternating curves up this apartment building. There don't seem to be any balconies, which is alright. I think it could work well at Lebreton Flats or even on Catherine Street.

Video Link

I also liked this building in Riga, Latvia by Didrihsons arhitekti, though I'd change the stone facade to a dark brick. It's 6 storeys and could go anywhere.

This one is by Studio One Eleven in LA. I imagine it could be built near an LRT station (like Westboro).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 1:37 AM

The Latvia building could fit well in the Market.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 1:56 AM

I'd like to see something like UofT's PIE Complex somewhere. It's 13 storeys, and despite it's simple geometry, looks like it could be quite good and different for Ottawa.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 11:23 PM

Interesting article on wood frame construction in the US - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-look-the-same

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 9:48 PM
National Capital Region

Wallace Walk is one of my favourite developments in Toronto, near Bloor GO station. Much more attractive to families than towers and faster to build. There is a small community centre, retail near the GO Station, and back to back stacked towns with underground parking. Hopefully will see some similar developments near the new LRT stations.

https://goo.gl/maps/vXV2MXoRG5GVEdvj8

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread....18680/page-24

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 10:20 PM

That's pretty nice. I would like to see more developments like this in the suburbs.

Seems like a good model for that missing middle.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Wallace Walk is one of my favourite developments in Toronto, near Bloor GO station. Much more attractive to families than towers and faster to build. There is a small community centre, retail near the GO Station, and back to back stacked towns with underground parking. Hopefully will see some similar developments near the new LRT stations.

THIS is my point about the St. Paul's development. This is what should have been built, rather than a driving road and a parking road in the front and back of each residence.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 12:16 AM

This is the 83 River Street in Toronto. It's 34 floors. I could see it around Westboro Station in place of one of the RLA buildings proposed.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That's pretty nice. I would like to see more developments like this in the suburbs.

Seems like a good model for that missing middle.
Not just in the suburbs. Why can't we promote more redevelopment like this in our cities?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion