HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 3:36 AM
Closed account

New Green SLC Skyscraper's Design Obtains Environmental Certification

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-sl...,1183709.story

The mechanical penthouse is starting to take shape and the facade in the front and up the sides should be done by the end of the week/early next week (judging by the progress thus far). They've started installing windows on the back portion as well.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2009, 7:37 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

DAAAAMN the views from the top floor are simply stellar!

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 1:06 AM

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 9:57 AM

they need to hurry up with that cladding, Oh snap

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 5:31 PM

I can't wait to see what it looks like with the glowing penthouse screen wall!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 12:38 PM

22-story tower is taking shape at 222 S. Main

By Jasen Lee
Deseret News

Brandin Lewis and Brad Ney place giant panes of glass on the top floor of the tower at 222 S. Main. (Keith Johnson, Deseret News)

Salt Lake City's skyline is slowly changing as construction on downtown's first high-rise office building in a decade heads into the "home stretch."

Chicago area-based Hamilton Partners is constructing the 22-story 222 S. Main office building that is scheduled for completion in November, according to Bruce Bingham, a partner with the commercial real estate developer. When completed, the 316-foot-tall structure will be one of Salt Lake's tallest buildings.

Bingham said the anchor tenant for 222 S. Main is already lined up: The Denver law firm of Holland & Hart will occupy the top three floors of the tower, and another law tenant is confirmed to lease the space directly below, on the 19th floor.

"We are 20 percent leased in the building," he said. "So we're airborne. We need altitude, though."

Several other prospective tenants have expressed "serious interest" in leasing space in the building, Bingham said. When construction on the building began in November 2007, Bingham said tenants could include enterprises in the banking and financial services industry, accountants, law firms and possibly a restaurant. With the project moving toward completion, Bingham said that the economy is affecting the company's ability to sign tenants to lease space. Many prospective clients are taking longer to make long-term financial commitments in today's uncertain economic climate, but there have been significant inquiries of late, he said.

"We've got one 90,000-square-foot tenant that's looking seriously at the building. … There's another tenant for 190,000 feet that's out there kicking it around, plus some other smaller guys," he said. "Not [happening] as good or as fast as we'd like, but least we're seeing some activity now."

222 S. Main will be the first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, or LEED, certified "Silver" energy-rated Class A office building in the Salt Lake Valley built from the ground up, Bingham said. He said that the building is designed to operate 15 percent below the state's energy-usage code. It incorporates high-efficiency rooftop heating, ventilation and air conditioning units with fresh air monitoring, and potable water use for landscape irrigation and internal use will be reduced by up to 50 percent with the installation of low-flow toilets and faucets, he added.

Don Billings, director of development and construction at Hamilton Partners, said the structure — featuring more than 350,000 square feet of Class A office space — will use sustainable energy resources.

"We plan on purchasing what's referred to as 'green' power for the whole building for the first two years of the project," he said.

Bingham said that contractor Okland Construction has the project moving ahead of schedule and under budget. He added that he is optimistic that the economy will eventually turn around, which could present some opportunities for downtown projects for Hamilton Partners and others, including some of the older properties that are currently vacant.

"There in an influx of people coming downtown. … We see a resurgence of activity that will eventually take care of the 'broken teeth' on some of the streets here," he said.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
22-story tower is taking shape at 222 S. Main

By Jasen Lee
Deseret News

Brandin Lewis and Brad Ney place giant panes of glass on the top floor of the tower at 222 S. Main. (Keith Johnson, Deseret News)
"We see a resurgence of activity that will eventually take care of the 'broken teeth' on some of the streets here," he said.
More like means missing teeth. That is a good analogy though. Some developers understand downtown, some don't. I think Hamilton gets it.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 4:52 PM
Chairman

WOW... All those parking lots screaming for a future.

-sb

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 7:37 PM

I'm ready for 222 South Main to be done! As fun as watching construction on this building has been, it's so freaking close! The cladding is almost done, and then they have to work on the inside.

Does anyone know if they're going to have a day open to the public for going into the building to see how it is before the tenants move in and make it an exclusive place?

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 12:55 AM

I think they'll let people see it, but who knows, maybe they won't even have a tenant by November

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 9:27 PM

The Wells Fargo building in that photograph is mega hot.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 4:24 AM

From this morning.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 7:32 AM

Gorgeous photos, T-Mac! 222 fills up that corner of Main Street perfectly.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 6:13 PM
Chairman

The very last photo update is my pick...

Now with the glass (finally) upto the top occupied floor, this building looks extremely handsome.

-sb

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 7:27 PM

I drove by today and noticed they are finally placing stone on the south side of the bottom 3 floors.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 7:57 PM

And remember...they still have the crown to finish as well. That's equivalent to another two floors. I assume it will be built as a screen, hiding the HVAC units. And I pray that it will be well-lit at night!

It's a great building, IMO. It makes a great pair with the Hotel Monaco. They are very similar in coloring, and the modern lines of 222 make a great contrast with the traditional styling of the Hotel Monaco. And I think 222 softens the Hotel Monaco's unusual shape (narrow and long).

I hope that this block of Main St. will stay as it is now. It's probably one of the best blocks in the city, with the great mix of historic buildings, and modern office buildings, Gallivan Plaza, and the TRAX station. There are a couple retail vacancies coming up, but I think those will fill up quickly.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 8:44 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
I drove by today and noticed they are finally placing stone on the south side of the bottom 3 floors.
I remember some pages ago, some of us were concerned that the facade of the bottom three floors was going to be stucco.

jmonkey - I forgot about the crown.

-sb

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 12:59 AM

222 looks even better in cloudy weather!

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 1:45 AM

View from the northeast

T-Mac: I still like the view of 222 S. Main from the Walker Center. You should have quite an anthology of pictures from this site, tracing the rise of the building from street level to topping out. I'd love to see a short collection of those pictures some day.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 2:57 AM

Why is it taking them so long to put up the cladding on the base levels? Didn't they start there first? Why does it take longer to put up the bottom 3 levels of cladding than the 19 levels above? It just doesn't make sense to me

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West