HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

320 Granville in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
As if that would ever get built here. Just think of the view cones. We have to protect them you know!
The crown is (mostly) transparent.

Even it it had to shrink to meet the height restrictions, it would still stand out - until the Waterfront Station towers complex is built over the CPR yard.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 3:15 PM
HA

I'm going to revive this thread a bit. Are there any news of this proposed site recently? It'll be great to have another office tower on 320 Granville (too bad it isn't any taller than is proposed). It makes me cringe every single time I pass by that eyesore, the old parking lot that is.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 3:37 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Henry_Man View Post
I'm going to revive this thread a bit. Are there any news of this proposed site recently? It'll be great to have another office tower on 320 Granville (too bad it isn't any taller than is proposed). It makes me cringe every single time I pass by that eyesore, the old parking lot that is.

I doubt this project will happen. TBH, I'd rather have this move forward than The Exchange since this will have a far more impact in terms of visual improvement to the city, as you clearly outlined accurately in your post.

But with the BC NDP coming in May 15, we might as well give this one a rest and check back in six years...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 4:09 PM

Arrow upon a later look ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
Since it is a prominent location and also the gateway to Gastown (kind-off), personally I would prefer they forgo the tall, glassy tower concept altogether and do a mid-rise brick building with heavy retro design ques.
This is or at least could be the solution. The mid-rise brick would give a definition point to Gastown either entering it or leaving it. The retro cues would give it a cachet harmonizing with the CPR station, its colonnade, statuary (the angel carrying the dead soldier away, as an eventual example.)
If other local elements are synthesized into it the right way, it might become one of the higher end buildings as well as a signature-type of building.

However it's important to include, (particularly as this building would, no doubt, being lower, offer less availability) enough revenue. Would this enable prices to be sufficient in revenue/rentable space ... or is that not a issue? Please inform me. Thanks.

Cool idea. I don't think this thread is quite dead yet. Sorry.
(might be worth making it temporarily a "fantasy" thread, in that all creative ideas might be posted,
as this is, in fact, a key location in
the city. Why not?

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 9:17 AM

Here's the latest design to go before the UDP on May 22nd. Much improved. Previous visit was August 29th of last year with a vote of 1-8 against.
There will be a connection to Canada Line.

New left, old right, western facade

Alley side

Comparison chart

List of concerns addressed in re-design.

pix by Built Form

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 10:42 AM
See ya down under, mates

Subtle change but somehow much better. Very curious to see what they do with the Canada line.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 11:03 AM
Reason and Freedom

Thanks for the update.

If the Liberals actually enact policies that are conducive to real economic growth (i.e., lower taxes and less regulation)--something I am not sure they will actually do or even understand--then maybe there is real hope that this project (and possibly one or two others) will come to fruition sooner rather than later. Only time will tell.

Either way, justified or not, the surge of optimism within the business community that is almost certainly going to follow the Liberal's decisive victory can't hurt this project's prospects.

Regarding the design, given the building's proximity to tourist central and the city's transportation hub, I hope the podium incorporates an attractive hospitality component. I think a large and visible, stylish but casual restaurant/bar at the base would be an attractive, animating element on this corner.

Last edited by Prometheus; Oct 1, 2016 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 3:30 PM
Vancouver Moderator

A connection to the station! Awesome!

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 4:05 PM
ON3P Skis

A massive improvement. The stupid protruding box is gone! I must have had a 40 minute conversation with the architect at one of the open houses and my napkin sketch actually looks somewhat similar to the revised design. This subtle stepped tapered design fits much better on that site. Fantastic.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 4:15 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I agree it's better, think the lane at ground level could use additional work though. Happy to see a connection to the Canada Line, hopefully it'll spur Sinclair Centre to open one up as well.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 4:54 PM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
A massive improvement. The stupid protruding box is gone! I must have had a 40 minute conversation with the architect at one of the open houses and my napkin sketch actually looks somewhat similar to the revised design. This subtle stepped tapered design fits much better on that site. Fantastic.
Looks a bit similar to West Pender Place, is it a Jim Hancock design?

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 7:01 PM

^VIA Architecture (Graham McGarva and Tom Lancaster)

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 7:10 PM
Vancouver User

Seems really massive at the top. I wouldn't mind if it tapered back in a bit more, but then maybe it'd be cursed like the Residences at Hotel Georgia!

Would be great to see more of a "Path" develop between the various buildings / shopping centres / transit connections.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 7:34 PM

Great to see a connection to Canada Line.

I was thinking it looked like a truncated Georgia Tower as well.

I like the horizontal stripes on the elevatr core and the base.
I wonder if some of those may be in wood?

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 7:35 PM

A beautiful sidestepping of Vancouver cliches. Nice work.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 8:44 PM

I quite like it, simple, yet functional and elegant.

Next cycle for sure, but I'll have my fingers crossed for this one being one of the first to go ahead when the new wave begins.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 8:50 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Isn't it interesting that this thread all of a sudden became alive now that the BC Liberals have won the election?

I am liking the new design, and hope this tower gets started soon!

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 8:58 PM

It is nice to see another major tower to have a potential underground transit link.

Again, the Sears reno really missed the boat in this regard, VCC needs a serious expansion and new exit/entrance to the south ASAP.

Waterfront is actually fine as is since it already has two exits / entrances.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 9:36 PM

Would be nice if they had built the cruise ship terminal entrance for Waterfront as originally envisioned.

Not overly excited about this design, but it's great to see the Canada Line entrance. Not entirely sure, but I think they'll make the connection to the south entrance concourse level?

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 10:52 PM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post
^VIA Architecture (Graham McGarva and Tom Lancaster)
Thanks

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver