HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 3:17 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I was in Lima last summer, and Scotiabank was everywhere.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 4:12 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I was in Lima last summer, and Scotiabank was everywhere.

That's why our mining companies love it so much I guess. Banks were probably following.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
That's why our mining companies love it so much I guess. Banks were probably following.
I don't it was as much following the mining sector as it was the fact the Canadian government made it clear to the big banks that they would not be permitted to merge and it they wanted to grow they would need to buy up foreign banks.

Scotia for what ever reason became big in Mexico, Central and South America.

BMO ended up acquiring BMO Harris Bank (Wikipedia says they have 600 branches). While TD Bank has over 1,200 branch in the US.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 1:38 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I don't it was as much following the mining sector as it was the fact the Canadian government made it clear to the big banks that they would not be permitted to merge and it they wanted to grow they would need to buy up foreign banks.

Scotia for what ever reason became big in Mexico, Central and South America.

BMO ended up acquiring BMO Harris Bank (Wikipedia says they have 600 branches). While TD Bank has over 1,200 branch in the US.
Visited 2 American cities this winter and interestingly, TD Bank was not only all over Manhattan, they even had a full branch in the most prominent section of South Beach, Miami!! Felt so proud

I heard that Scotiabank also has ATM's in some of the most obscure parts of Asia, good news all around, keep pushing and growing gents!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Visited 2 American cities this winter and interestingly, TD Bank was not only all over Manhattan, they even had a full branch in the most prominent section of South Beach, Miami!! Felt so proud
Off topic but regarding them they happen to be my bank here and they're pretty big...
(TD Bank, 250 Merritt Island Causeway, Merritt Island, FL 32952)

I've been with them for years... we started at that Florida branch a few years ago but since then I have sometimes had to show up there in person over the years, which I would do at their Barton, VT location, a short drive away from Sherbrooke.

I don't think there's another US bank that can offer me a location reasonably close to Sherbrooke Quebec and a location in Florida too. (Northern Vermont is pretty empty, I think TD is actually one of the dominating banks over there. In some villages it seems to be the only "major" bank.)

Desjardins obviously has a few locations in and around Ft Lauderdale but I dislike them... and they're not really a functioning US bank anyway IMO.

Ironically in Quebec I have mortgages at Desjardins, Banque Nationale and BMO, but I've never done business with TD in Canada.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada