HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Yes I agree.. I like the lawnmower effect too
Yes someone needs to mow that place.....the stuff is getting higher than the billboard fence!!!!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 8:00 PM
legalize it-0'0" setbacks

There is a design competition in progress for architects, designers, and students to submit ideas for reshaping and revitalizing Capitol Mall. The competition is expected to receive design proposals from around the world. There is a $20,000 grand prize. You can read more about it here:
www.saccatalyst.com

A city needs to be a good museum, and an even better laboratory

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 5:48 PM
Kodachrome

It’s hard to believe how much has not changed at the former
Towers site… it's been six years today since the job was halted.
Even if it had been built, with the regions record home foreclosure
rate over the last 4 years, today I imagine it would sit more than
half empty like the L Street Lofts which only sold 22 of the 92-units.
My contact at CalPERS says there are no plans to develop the
site in the near future.

Just think, if 17 more condominiums would have sold to reach the bank
requirement of 400 units, money from CalPERS and Deutsche Bank
would have continued to invest in the project.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 11:12 AM

such a disappointment

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
It’s hard to believe how much has not changed at the former
Towers site… it's been six years today since the job was halted.
Even if it had been built, with the regions record home foreclosure
rate over the last 4 years, today I imagine it would sit more than
half empty like the L Street Lofts which only sold 22 of the 92-units.
My contact at CalPERS says there are no plans to develop the
site in the near future.

Just think, if 17 more condominiums would have sold to reach the bank
requirement of 400 units, money from CalPERS and Deutsche Bank
would have continued to invest in the project.

Between this post and the Kings, I'm really depressed about Sacramento

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 9:33 PM

Yeah. Same here. I doubt we will ever see a high-rise build this decade.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 4:49 AM

I can't believe the footprints are still sitting there like that.. What an absolute shame.

And the problem isn't the demand for high-rise units, it's the affordability. The L Street lofts would be full if their price wasn't so high. These developers make lofts and condos that are all high-end.. they need to make affordable units and people will live there. There is no market for that many high-end units in town, that's it.

Maybe they can use that to film a scene from The Walking Dead?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2013, 4:45 PM
thenorth.bandcamp.com

Imagine the potential value of that property should all the peices fall together for a potential arena at DTP...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 9:43 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surefiresacto View Post
Imagine the potential value of that property should all the peices fall together for a potential arena at DTP...
This isn't far off. I had lunch with a buddy who is privvy to the negotiations between the possible new Kings ownership group and the city, and he told me that one of the things the Burkle group would like to see is the arena on the west end of the mall, not the east. This would allow easy access to a high-end hotel project and to the Towers site, which the group is very interested in developing. He wasn't sure if the high-end hotel would be at the Towers site or not. He also said they are looking at the current Holiday Inn for demolition and redevelopment.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
This isn't far off. I had lunch with a buddy who is privvy to the negotiations between the possible new Kings ownership group and the city, and he told me that one of the things the Burkle group would like to see is the arena on the west end of the mall, not the east. This would allow easy access to a high-end hotel project and to the Towers site, which the group is very interested in developing. He wasn't sure if the high-end hotel would be at the Towers site or not. He also said they are looking at the current Holiday Inn for demolition and redevelopment.
Wow, if that's true that is some big news. That could explain why it seems the announcement of the ownership group is taking so long. What a way to complicate an already big mess! I'm sure the downtown arena site was planned out for that very reason, leaving Macys and the cinemas and the plaza area on the west side, tearing down the rest. This is really going to mess things up if this is what Burkle wants. They're going to have to redo the renderings, rework the entire downtown arena plan just to move it over another one block! Not good news...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 6:49 AM
Here we stAy

The east side of DTP is just a much more logical choice. Closer to transit. Closer to the convention center to combine facilities. Would be able to keep the huge garage at 3rd and L. I get the opportunity for a hotel, but I'm sure that could be worked into an east-side design as well.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 4:52 PM
NIMBY Hater

Remember, this is just discussions. If they find it's not feasible to work in the same timeframe, I'm sure they'll scrap it and work something else out.

I know one of the concerns raised is that the east-end location would eliminate nearly 2,000 city-owned parking spaces. This is a problem because the city funding comes from revenues from leasing the city spaces to a private company. Getting rid of nearly 2,000 spots would lower the amount the city could contribute. Someone told me the west-end location wouldn't eliminate as many parking spaces. But I don't really know what's true and what's not.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 6:05 AM
Hindrance to Development

The problem is that the west end also has a parking structure, and there are parking spaces behind the movie theater, so there is really no part of Downtown Plaza you can demolish and not lose some parking. Plus, I think Macy's owns their own building and it is not part of JMA's lot, an additional expense, and the Holiday Inn isn't part of the JMA property either.

The "lease city parking to a private operator" has been dead since the reasons against it were outlined in last year's term sheet. The plan suggested in the term sheet was for the city to sell bonds to be repaid by future parking revenue, although that plan has its own problems.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 8:25 PM
NIMBY Hater

I thought I heard that Macy's owns at least one of the other west buildings still from when there used to be a Macy's Mens and a Macy's Womens. But that may not be accurate.

And any hotel talk is speculative and not part of a JMA deal.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 2:32 AM
Hindrance to Development

There is still a separate Macy's men's store, it is on the east end near 7th street and the women's/home store is on the east end. Macy's definitely owns the big store on 4th/5th (the west end) but I'm not sure if they own the other (which used to be Weinstock's.)

Either end would destroy a lot of parking, as both halves have lots, but the west half would also demo the only first-run movie theater in the central city, a functioning hotel, plus a parking structure that gets a lot of Old Sac traffic, and probably Macy's too unless they're planning on a footprint even smaller than the cramped depot site. The western end would be where most of the vacancies (and small, easy to relocate stores) are.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 11:23 PM

This is an interesting thread. The 301 Capitol Mall site is sort of a special place for me. As a young boy in the early 70's, my step father was a photographer for the Union. He always took me down there after assignments. While he would develop his film, my brother and I used to explore all over the place. It was sad to see those pictures of the demolition. But even sadder to see that it's very nice replacement ran into money issues.

I hope some of the DTP details will emerge this Thursday. The west end vs the east end is one I've heard bouncing around as well. The city really didn't want to see the under the freeway walkway to Old Sac be cut off by the arena. I think a west end site would probably do that.

The east end Mens Macy's store was in foreclosure last I heard in July last year. I'm sure JMA knows how key it is to obtain that. There were no buyers for it when it was offered for 5.3 million. I wonder if they got that an more since then?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 4:28 AM

IMO, there is no design of any kind that can review the towers design. I'd rather let the lot sit there empty until the economy improves to the point where the towers can be built instead of building something inferior on the site.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 3:41 PM

When construction begins on the arena maybe construction can be planned on the old towers site.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 3:26 AM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deno View Post
When construction begins on the arena maybe construction can be planned on the old towers site.
I've been working an old contact who insists we'll see cranes at 301 before the arena site. Sadly, have been unable to get more out of her than that.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
I've been working an old contact who insists we'll see cranes at 301 before the arena site. Sadly, have been unable to get more out of her than that.
I suspect the old Towers project is dead. If not I wouldn't mind if it was redesigned. Was never really excited by it. But I don't know if they ever got to the final design stage on this project. I'd prefer a more forward-looking design. Something like SF's infinity. I wonder what plan Calpers is going to hatch?

Last edited by ozone; May 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area