HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 3:24 AM

If Harrisburg didn't make progress so difficult, imagine the potential...............

Old Posted Jan 13, 2008, 3:22 PM
Me?!?

/\
Yep, and EXACTLY my point!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 2:48 AM

cool night shot...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 4:12 PM

webcam - foggy morning...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 5:31 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs921 View Post
webcam - foggy morning...

it was quite miserable out this morning. espically on 4 hours sleep...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 6:14 PM

more night shots.......

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 1:06 PM
Man on a mission

2 NYC men charged in fatal Hall Manor shooting

I don't mean to say that Harrisburgers aren't violent themselves, but why does it seem that half the crimes reported or drug bust come from out of town people? I remember the hold up last summer with the kid with the assault rifle and several murders all commited by people the media reported as from NYC. At least Harrisburg will report on the criminals so they can't get away.

2 NYC men charged in fatal Hall Manor shooting
by BY IRVIN KITTRELL III, Of The Patriot-News Tuesday January 15, 2008, 11:45 PM
Two New York City men who were arrested hours after Queinton Robinson was shot to death Jan. 7 in Hall Manor were charged with homicide Tuesday, Harrisburg police reported.

Woodens B. Joseph, 18, and Lahme Perkins, 21, were arraigned Tuesday on criminal homicide, burglary and weapon charges, police said. Both were returned to Dauphin County Prison without bail. The two have been in the prison since Jan. 7.

They are charged with shooting and killing Robinson, who was five days shy of his 20th birthday, while the three men were drinking and smoking cigars about 1 p.m. in an abandoned Hall Manor playground, police reported.

Robinson was pronounced death at the scene.

Police said they found seven empty shell casings from two handguns, a 32-caliber and a 40-caliber weapon. Robinson was not armed, they said.

Gunpowder burns were found on Robinson's body, police said.

Students at nearby Foose Elementary School were kept inside the building after the shooting, which happened after lunchtime recess. No students were outside when the shooting occurred.

Joseph and Perkins ran after the shooting, and witnesses showed police where they were heading, officials said.

The men broke into a nearby home, in the 1600 block of Putnam Street, in an attempt to hide, police said.

Police surrounded the house within minutes of the shooting, and the men surrendered after a two-hour standoff.

Police held the two in prison on burglary charges as investigators gathered enough information to charge the men with homicide, police said.

Preliminary hearings for the two will be scheduled.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:41 PM

More on the Chambers Hill development.

From the Central Penn Business Journal...

Retail developer aims for Swatara Township
By Jessica Bair and Eric Veronikis
1/4/2008

The developer of Silver Spring Square shopping center in Cumberland County has shifted its midstate focus to the East Shore.
Florida-based Regency Centers is drafting plans for an approximately 700,000-square-foot shopping center in Swatara Township, Dauphin County.

The $90 million project, called Swatara Marketplace, would be built along U.S. Route 322, just west of Mushroom Hill Road.

It would resemble the 500,000-square-foot Silver Spring Square, said Powell Arms, vice president of investments at Regency. Regency completed Silver Spring Square in Silver Spring Township last year.

Wegmans, Target, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond and Panera Bread are among the retailers at the Cumberland County shopping center on the Carlisle Pike. Tenants have not been solicited for Swatara Marketplace, Arms said.

“Right now, we’re trying to identify what the off-site improvements need to be to make the traffic work there,” Arms said. “We will solicit (retail) interest once the traffic issues are worked out.”

Wegmans Food Markets Inc. has not announced intentions to build in Swatara Marketplace, but that doesn’t mean the company will not build there, said Jeanne Colleluori, spokeswoman for the Rochester, N.Y.-based grocery-store chain.

Silver Spring Square is the first Regency shopping center in which Wegmans opened, Colleluori said. Wegmans plans to open another store in a Regency shopping center under construction in Manassas, Va., she said.

When Regency executives pitched Swatara Marketplace to Dauphin County Commissioner George Hartwick III, they said they hoped to attract a large grocery store like Wegmans to the site, Hartwick said.

Hartwick is oversight commissioner for the county’s office of economic development. He supports the development of the shopping center because Swatara Township houses other successful shopping and industrial centers, he said.

“Swatara Township has been pro-growth, and that’s one of the reasons they have kept low property-tax rates,” Hartwick said. “I know that with this type of development you want to make sure they are taking care of all the traffic concerns. They talked about an access road that would ease congestion on 322.”

Traffic changes and other off-site improvements should cost about $23 million, but that figure could change, Arms said.

Plans for the project, which would create about 2,600 jobs, have not been formally submitted to the township, Arms said. A construction timeline is not yet available, he said.

“Overall, what we’d be trying to do is improve traffic flow through that commuter corridor, and widening is one of the things contemplated,” Arms said.

Without road improvements, the project would not work, said state Rep. John Payne (R-Dauphin County).

Route 322 is already congested during peak travel times, and to introduce more traffic there without building an easement road or another traffic easement, such as a cloverleaf, would not work, he said.

Payne does not want to see more red lights along the highway near the proposed site, he said. Existing red lights already snarl traffic, he said.

“I’m very supportive of the project,” Payne said. “That kind of commercial development is a good thing. It’s a good strip for commercial growth; there’s nothing wrong with that. It creates a huge tax base.”

Regency is proposing a tax-increment-financing partnership made up of the company, the Central Dauphin School District board, Dauphin County and Swatara Township.

Together, the groups would issue debt to help fund the necessary transportation improvements, Arms said. Part of the real estate taxes that the development would generate would help pay that debt, he said.

Paul Cornell, administrator of Swatara Township, said he believes the township’s board of commissioners, the county and the school district would all support such a partnership.

“When I first arrived here 11 years ago, there was a request for a shopping center. That request has never gone away,” Cornell said.

The 120 acres that Regency wants to develop have always been zoned commercial, Cornell said. The property has never been developed because it is practically landlocked between highways and is difficult to access, he said.

Regency worked with Penn-DOT to come up with a transportation-improvement plan that would relieve those issues and keep the bulk of traffic away from area residential neighborhoods, Cornell said. The company has also approached the owners of neighboring properties to work out agreements should it need to purchase the properties, he said.

“What’s not to like? They really did their homework,” Cornell said. “They have really gone out of the way to impact the community the least that they can.”

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:13 PM
Man on a mission

I took a look at that area and they wouldn't really have to rip out large portions of the hill. It is a little bit of a hill, but most of the hill tapers back from the road near that intersection.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 5:44 PM
Keeping the dream alive!

Two things about that plan:

1.) I know someone scoffed earlier at my point that Wegman's will be there. It's going to happen. Let me put it this way: Erie has two Wegman's locations...Harrisburg will definitely have two Wegman's locations. They need another one.

2.) That will wipe out the shopping plaza that sits across Mushroom Hill Road from Wal-Mart/Sam's Club...the one with Weis and some other small stores.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMike View Post
Two things about that plan:

1.) I know someone scoffed earlier at my point that Wegman's will be there. It's going to happen. Let me put it this way: Erie has two Wegman's locations...Harrisburg will definitely have two Wegman's locations. They need another one.

2.) That will wipe out the shopping plaza that sits across Mushroom Hill Road from Wal-Mart/Sam's Club...the one with Weis and some other small stores.
Erie was the location of the first Wegmans in Pennsylvania. They have been there for over 20 years, that's why there are two stores there. The company is VERY slow at building new stores, and for good reason. There will not be another store in the Harrisburg area until at least 2011 at the earliest.

The current plan is to build a second store at a location in Susquehanna township I cannot disclose...but of course that can change.

My idea would be for a Wegmans in South Harrisburg near 83 once the southern gateway is finished, imagine a new urbanist type shopping plaza with easy access to the east and west shores.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 7:30 PM
Man on a mission

I can't imagine that they would have construction finished on the shopping plaza much before 2011. It is in its very early stages of planning now. Which means that construction would start no sooner than early '09 They need to build a 4 lane road, and the plaza. If the road is going in there will need to be enviromental studies....

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 10:18 PM
Me?!?

Oh my goodness, another strip mall in the Harrisburg area right near other older strip malls...and to think, this new one will probably have stores you can find a mere few miles away too...HOW EXCITING!!!

And yes, I am being sarcastic.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
The current plan is to build a second store at a location in Susquehanna township I cannot disclose...
Old Earthlink building??? Am I close?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 12:04 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmidtown View Post
Old Earthlink building??? Am I close?
Hey speaking of, is that still empty?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 6:43 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 8:07 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
whoa...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 2:05 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
The skyline from that angle just begs for a building of at least 500 ft.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 12:53 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Wonderful photo.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 2:09 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
The skyline from that angle just begs for a building of at least 500 ft.
no way... that would block the view of the beautiful mountains!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations