HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 4:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YannickTO View Post
Basically, Sydney is the only core? Last time I checked, all the four cores seem to be pretty close to each other. Cape Breton is a weird case. But like I said earlier, the list doesn't stop at the last CMA. All the CAs below are as valid and as important as the CMAs, statistically speaking.
Glace Bay can be said to have a "core" as well. It's about 20 km from Sydney.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:24 PM

Yeah, Cape Breton is in a rough spot stats wise. Sydney isn't big enough to tip over into CMA status, and its overall population is dipping.

CBRM has secondary cores that spread the population around a lot. This includes (allo numbers from Wiki):

* Glace Bay (19,000)
* New Waterford (8,000)
* Sydney Mines ( 7,300)
* North Sydney (6,000)
* Dominion (2000)

All of those towns are within 5-10 minutes of Sydney itself, if not directly adjacent to it; but I'm not sure how/if they could ever be combined into Sydney as far as Sats Canada is concerned.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 7:26 PM

I wonder if Kahnawake, QC will ever be added to Montreal CMA. I mean, it's 11,000 people that are right into the urban area, but for statistical challenges, it's never included. Do you think it should be included or it's fine as it is?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 7:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

In the next census Haldimand County will likely be added to Hamilton's CMA. It was extremely close last time.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 7:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I wonder if Kahnawake, QC will ever be added to Montreal CMA. I mean, it's 11,000 people that are right into the urban area, but for statistical challenges, it's never included. Do you think it should be included or it's fine as it is?
What are the "statistical challlenges"? Is it excluded because it does not meet the commuting percentages, or is there some other reason (sovereign aboriginal territory)?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What are the "statistical challlenges"? Is it excluded because it does not meet the commuting percentages, or is there some other reason (sovereign aboriginal territory)?
Well, if we're talkin in terms of busses that are driving there from other cities... I have no idea, I don't think it even matters.

If a place named Burrard Inlet 3 (1,472 inhabitants) or Tsawwassen (720 inhabitants) are included within Vancouver CMA, why wouldn't Kahnawake?

I always thought the stats bureau said that it was because census returns from the inhabitants were incomplete and hard to be accurate with, that it was the main reason it wasn't added.

If you look at this page (https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...5&PR=0&CMA=462), Kahnawake is indeed included.... problem is, the population hasn't been reported.

I hope it's fixed with the new upcoming numbers.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 7:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Well, if we're talkin in terms of busses that are driving there from other cities... I have no idea, I don't think it even matters.

If a place named Burrard Inlet 3 (1,472 inhabitants) or Tsawwassen (720 inhabitants) are included within Vancouver CMA, why wouldn't Kahnawake?

I always thought the stats bureau said that it was because census returns from the inhabitants were incomplete and hard to be accurate with, that it was the main reason it wasn't added.

If you look at this page (https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...5&PR=0&CMA=462), Kahnawake is indeed included.... problem is, the population hasn't been reported.

I hope it's fixed with the new upcoming numbers.
OK so that's probably it. Aboriginal Canadian boycotting the census, as they do in many parts of the country.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 7:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

It's not the number of buses, but one of the criteria for including municipalities in a CMA is what percentage of people from that municipality (Okotoks, for example) commute into the city (Calgary, for example) for work.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's not the number of buses, but one of the criteria for including municipalities in a CMA is what percentage of people from that municipality (Okotoks, for example) commute into the city (Calgary, for example) for work.
I've never seen any municipality excluded out of a CMA, even those under 1,000 inhabitants or rural townships. It seems to be a geographic thing more than anything.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 1:08 AM
Closed account

Quote:
I've never seen any municipality excluded out of a CMA, even those under 1,000 inhabitants or rural townships. It seems to be a geographic thing more than anything.
I don't understand what you mean. If the municipality meets commuting thresholds in either direction, it's included. If it doesn't, it isn't.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I don't understand what you mean. If the municipality meets commuting thresholds in either direction, it's included. If it doesn't, it isn't.
Doesn't work that way I'm afraid. You might find some cases for smaller CAs, but when you look at the big CMAs, all municipalities surrounding the main city are included. Even small towns under 1000 people.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Doesn't work that way I'm afraid. You might find some cases for smaller CAs, but when you look at the big CMAs, all municipalities surrounding the main city are included. Even small towns under 1000 people.
I might want to retract myself. I think ... this discussion made me think, and I bluntly realized that my own region, Sherbrooke CMA, some surrounding cities are cruelly missing from the list... places like Windsor, Cookshire-Eaton, Sainte-Catherine-de-Hatley are not within the 201k residents (which I always thought they were). So it's all about commuting huh? How is it even determined? Nevermind, it's probably explained on statscan website... I'm kinda disappointed though... I always thought a geographic metro area would encompass a whole region, give or take few kms away from city centre. Having a next-door city out of a given CMA just because the residents don't commute to the city centre is kinda silly. What if one day most people in Mississauga decide to work in their own city and not commute to Toronto anymore... are we gonna take out Mississauga out of CMA? I mean, people do shop and do go to Toronto for many other reasons than work.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 8:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I might want to retract myself. I think ... this discussion made me think, and I bluntly realized that my own region, Sherbrooke CMA, some surrounding cities are cruelly missing from the list... places like Windsor, Cookshire-Eaton, Sainte-Catherine-de-Hatley are not within the 201k residents (which I always thought they were). So it's all about commuting huh? How is it even determined?
To be included into a CMA a surrounding community has to have 50%+ of its working population commuting into/working in the CMA area. They don't have to be commuting into the central urban core of the CMA - just any community within that CMA. That's the rule as I understand it.

As an example: Montreal is a theoretical CMA. St-Hyacinthe has 75% of its residents working within that CMA area, so now it's included in the Montreal CMA. Eventually, 55% of Drummondville residents end up working in St-Hyacinthe, so Drummondville is included in the Montreal CMA aswell. All three are included in the same CMA as they all essentially feed off of the urban core of the CMA in one way or another.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 1:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I don't know what to say except that you are plainly wrong. CSDs (generally municipalities) are added according to two rules principally. Population of those municipalities has nothing to do with it.

Forward commuting: 50% of the employed labour force of the CSD works within the core of the CMA (the core is all population centres in the CMA with popn greater than 10,000).

Reverse commuting: 25% of the employed labour force working in the CSD live within the core of the CMA.

This is Statistics Canada's own definitions, so unless you're saying they're lying, they don't just randomly slap on adjacent CSDs as they see fit.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I don't know what to say except that you are plainly wrong. CSDs (generally municipalities) are added according to two rules principally. Population of those municipalities has nothing to do with it.

Forward commuting: 50% of the employed labour force of the CSD works within the core of the CMA (the core is all population centres in the CMA with popn greater than 10,000).

Reverse commuting: 25% of the employed labour force working in the CSD live within the core of the CMA.

This is Statistics Canada's own definitions, so unless you're saying they're lying, they don't just randomly slap on adjacent CSDs as they see fit.
You should've read the post right after.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 6:11 PM
I am a typical

I'm pretty sure the Niagara in "St. Catharines Niagara" comes from the Regional Municipality of Niagara, not Niagara Falls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Fact: Eska spring water comes from there. In fact, the town's municipal water is the same water that's bottled by that company. It's so clean that it doesn't have to be treated at all!

Source: http://www.eskawater.com/what-we-believe/
It's illegal to sell untreated water. Their product is ozonated and most likely goes through a basic filtration process to reduce the risk of bacteria, because bacteria can exist at 5°C. It's also illegal to sell untreated tap water in a bottle, they're pulling from the ground and it just happens to be the same source as the town.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada