HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 11:52 PM

Moving to Edmonton

I've been following on SSP for a while and this is my first post.

Here's the scoop, I'm considering a move out west to Edmonton. I've only been to the city once and it was on business. I don't know the city well, and am looking for a few pointers.

-What neighborhoods would be recommended for good, urban, inner city living? I live in Barrie but grew up in Toronto, and am a 'city' guy

-What would the rent and/or cost of a house be on an apartment in said nice inner city neighborhood? Two bedrooms at least. I'm also open to purchase of a condo, if it has two bedrooms and at least 1000 square feet.

-what's the commute like from downtown to the airport?

Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 1:58 AM

I also moved from Ontario to Edmonton 3 years ago, so I don't know Edm well enough to give you the scoop on the neighbourhoods really, but I can say that my neighbourhood, Queen Alexandra, is excellent. Close to Whyte Ave, the Uni and all various businesses set up along Whyte and Calgary Trail. Lots of public transportation options and good eats/nightlife.

I live in a 2 bedroom condo we are renting for 1650/month. That might be on the expensive side. I used to live in a basement for 700/month.

Approx 30-40 mins I'd say, but heavily dependent on traffic conditions,

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 6:09 AM

Thanks drynagolt! 1650 a month for two bedroom condo is more than I'm used to but the wages should make up for that. I'll streetview the area you mentioned (Queen Alexandra and Whyte Ave)

30-40 minutes to the arera near the airport is longer than I would have thought for a city the size of Edmonton, but it's still decent.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 2:02 PM
Community Guy

Grandin, Oliver, Downtown, Garneau, Strathcona, Mckernan are all great central areas. Most are on the LRT which is an added bonus. Rents would be $800-1200 for a 1bdrm and 1200-1600 for 2bdrm.

I can get from my condo downtown on the LRT and new 747 bus in 50mins. Driving I can do it in 30 flat at non peak times.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 2:41 PM

Thanks Coldsrx! I streetviewed those areas you suggested and they look decent. I like the Strathcona area the best, but it's too far from downtown. I'm going to focus on Oliver and downtown. what do people think of the area called Boyle or Boyle Street? It doesn't look great in the streetview but it's close to downtown.

I'll be coming out to Edmonton for a look see pretty soon. Any suggestions on things to look at and check out? I'm not a mall person so the big mall won't be on my list.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 4:07 PM
So very tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
what do people think of the area called Boyle or Boyle Street? It doesn't look great in the streetview but it's close to downtown.
Currently a rough neighbourhood, though it is slowly changing for the better. Not quite there yet...should look quite different in 10 years or so.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 11:06 PM

Thanks Bulliver! I kinda got that impression from streetview. Too bad, because it's nice and close to downtown.

I was streetviewing Grandin, and it looks nice.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 5:09 PM
Urbis Maximus

Grandin is an excellent neighborhood. Close to the shops, bars and restos on Jasper, LRT, Legislature grounds and the river valley.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 6:05 PM
Community Guy

Concur, excellent location.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 5:56 PM

Thanks for the info guys! I'll be heading out there soon, and looking forward to the trip. Are there any suggestions of places that the wife and I can check out. Parks, museums, etc.. ? Are there any short day trips that would be worth doing? Also I have that there is a large Ukrainian community in Edmonton, and would like to try out some Ukrainian food, if anyone knows of a great place.

Cheers, Blaine.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys! I'll be heading out there soon, and looking forward to the trip. Are there any suggestions of places that the wife and I can check out. Parks, museums, etc.. ? Are there any short day trips that would be worth doing? Also I have that there is a large Ukrainian community in Edmonton, and would like to try out some Ukrainian food, if anyone knows of a great place.

Cheers, Blaine.
Uncle ed.'s for ukranian food.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 7:21 PM

If you are a downtown TO kind of person like myself, you really need only to be looking in the Garneau/Whyte Ave area...being close to the UofA brings a bit of the variety/vibrancy that you might otherwise miss, depending on where you lived/liked in TO. That said, there are plenty of lovely renter friendly areas such as Oliver and Grandin, but be cognoscente of proximity to grocery stores as it is not necessarily as much as a given as it is in the big smoke.

As for airport access, there's no way around hitting the highway. If it's a big concern, stay south of the river as crossing during peak times can make you miss a flight if you like to cut it close.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 6:36 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and info everyone. I'm heading out there this week and will be checking out the city. Too bad the hockey season is on hold, I would have loved to catch an Oilers game and see the building where Gretz used to play. Any other suggestions on stuff to see or do while Edmonton, just post here, I'll check it later.

Cheers, Blaine

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
Uncle ed.'s for ukranian food.
Aside from Perogies..what are some good dishes to try? Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions and info everyone. I'm heading out there this week and will be checking out the city. Too bad the hockey season is on hold, I would have loved to catch an Oilers game and see the building where Gretz used to play. Any other suggestions on stuff to see or do while Edmonton, just post here, I'll check it later.

Cheers, Blaine
You can always check out an Oil Kings game, they play in the same building.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 7:49 PM
DRINK

Quote:

Cheers, Blaine
Esks v Riders at commonwealth on Saturday....should be a very big crowd.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Esks v Riders at commonwealth on Saturday....should be a very big crowd.
This way you could check out Edmonton and see a Riders home game at the same time

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 1:12 AM

If you go to an Eskimos game, be sure to sit high on the upper deck on the East side. You get a great view of downtown skyline and the North end of the city. These days that view is better than the Eskimos, in fact.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 2:52 PM

Just wanted to say that I've been enjoying my time in edmonton. Aside from the winter weather it's been a good visit. Folks have been friendly, and I have to say the city is nicer than I expected. spent yesterday evening walking Whyte ave. and checking out that area. It was quiet, but I attribute that top the weather. The area around White Ave (Stratchona) is nice, and the river valley must be beautiful in the summer I imagine. Didn't get to try Uncle Ed's, maybe next time

We're heading down to Calgary and Banff. Thanks again for all the help.

cheers, Blaine

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton