HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I think this is a case where Arson could be a good thing... If the hospital were to burn to the ground, wouldn't they be forced to reconsider their "preservation". Or would the morons try to reconstruct it in the name of history...
"Preservation" was only a ploy in their scattergun approach hoping something would stick.

In the end, they won with the dry vote. So if it burned down, it would be an empty lot eyesore, rather than a dilapidated hospital eyesore. That said, there is nice zoning on this site (FAR 5.0), so if Hairston played ball and let a proposal sail through the Lakefront Protection Ordinance extortion stage of the approval process, we could potentially be blessed with a highrise designed to maximize the blockage of light and air available to the adjacent Vista Homes.

More likely, this will become yet another ages-old rotting monument to Hyde Park's crippling NIMBYism, joining many other stunted redevelopment sites slowly sucking ever more life from the neighborhood.

One of the biggest residential booms in the city in decades and decades from 2000-2007, and Hyde Park got... what done, exactly? They streetscaped some of 53rd Street. There were a few townhouse developments in the late 1990s. Bravo. Still losing residents and residences - and with them will follow ever more business.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 3:19 PM
Registered

Concerning the new Loyola Facility on State Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
I think they're trying to play with volume and mass. Maybe they should take a look at the Geotz Collection by HdeM or the LAGA HQ by our very own VDT for some better inspiration?
(I carried this conversation over here from Boom Rundown because the building in question isn't really a highrise yet.)

I'm sure they are... that's a fine game to play. Your examples are good ones.

The execution here appears terrible. The materials are weak, the massing is weak, the form is unexciting, etc. It looks like a medical office building in Burr Ridge with a big atrium sliced through the center.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
(I carried this conversation over here from Boom Rundown because the building in question isn't really a highrise yet.)

I'm sure they are... that's a fine game to play. Your examples are good ones.

The execution here appears terrible. The materials are weak, the massing is weak, the form is unexciting, etc. It looks like a medical office building in Burr Ridge with a big atrium sliced through the center.
See, to me it looks like they've "adaptively reused" a pre-existing medical office building. Who are the architects? I get the impression that they're more familiar with office parks than design of this caliber; you can see they're trying but falling way short...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 7:37 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Some pictures of inside the hospital too: http://hydeparkprogress.blogspot.com...hat-youre.html
A real gem for the neighborhood.
Out of curiosity, has the radiological equipment in those photos been stripped of its radioactive sources? In Brazil looting of an old hospital resulted in one of the most serious radioactive contaminations in history. And one could always throw in the old "dirty bomb" terrorist threat angle, too.

Seriously, have those been properly mitigated?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 3:46 AM
BANNED

SCB is the architect of the new Loyola SBA building...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 7:18 AM

^Hmmm...not sure how big a fan I am of SCB's seeming monopoly on projects these days...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 8:46 AM
TL;DR

^^ Eh. They deliver consistently-good modern designs, and I'm sure that their gigantic size allows them to go from concept to construction drawings quickly and inexpensively.

They also have a long history in Chicago - they go back to the 1950s, at least - and they have produced some gorgeous results, like 340 OTP and Parkview West.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 10:00 AM

^Fair enough. I guess I just find them unengaging and a bit cold. Perhaps sterile and safe would be better descriptors. Never the less, it makes for comfortably predictable designs that don't really offend and don't really please.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 4:30 PM

Quote:
^ That actually passed?

This is one preservation battle I just can't identify with... I think the building is unremarkable, and the site could be much better served by a higher-density use. Now this fight is having ramifications far beyond its target, and could backfire quite easily. Battles like this don't help the preservation cause very much in my opinion.

While the building isn't architecturally special, it has some nice brick work and it plays nicely with Hyde Park High down the street. While I'm a fan of development and highrises, this is one building i'd like to see saved.

Now when I say "saved", I don't mean to say that major changes should be allowed. I think this is a great candidate for a facadectomy. I don't know exactly how deep the site is, but I just have a feeling that if it's torn down, whatever replaces it will be fugly.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Now when I say "saved", I don't mean to say that major changes should be allowed. I think this is a great candidate for a facadectomy. I don't know exactly how deep the site is, but I just have a feeling that if it's torn down, whatever replaces it will be fugly.
Facedectomy would be the only option - see the link to interior pictures posted previously.

It actually is a pretty deep site, and I think at least a partial facadectomy would work -BUT it would necessarily be paired with a taller tower rising behind since it would be set back from the street so far.

Of course I'm fine with that, but the mouth-breathing knuckle-draggers on Harper Ave or in Vista Homes would be rendered apoplectic by the mere suggestion of a 15-minute shadow being cast on their beloved backyards that are already shaded by the elevated railroad embankment.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Facedectomy would be the only option - see the link to interior pictures posted previously.

It actually is a pretty deep site, and I think at least a partial facadectomy would work -BUT it would necessarily be paired with a taller tower rising behind since it would be set back from the street so far.

Of course I'm fine with that, but the mouth-breathing knuckle-draggers on Harper Ave or in Vista Homes would be rendered apoplectic by the mere suggestion of a 15-minute shadow being cast on their beloved backyards that are already shaded by the elevated railroad embankment.
I saw the images of the interior before I commented

Screw them and their fear of shadows

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 8:26 PM
Registered

Quote:
Well, even though I don't really think it's a noteworthy piece of architecture, in all fairness this is a shallow argument. I guess you've never done much rehab work, but all of the things showing in the images were cosmetic or, if structural, likely very minor. I saw no evidence whatsoever that the building could not be renovated.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 12:03 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

The Economist Tags Chicago

The Economist has a new article up on Chicago:

The spotlight beckons
Nov 13th 2008 | CHICAGO
From The Economist print edition

Barack Obama’s ascendancy portends America’s third city’s, too

Television sets across the world showed a vast sea of people, young and old, black and white, dancing and crying and cheering. In the background stretched a twinkling skyline with “Vote 2008” and “USA” spelled out in lights......The city, still buzzing from the election, is now wondering what comes next.....Chicago is in many ways ready for the spotlight....

-----

Continue reading at:

http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/displayStory.cfm?source=hptextfeature&story_id=12608241

Last edited by wrab; Nov 17, 2008 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Well, even though I don't really think it's a noteworthy piece of architecture, in all fairness this is a shallow argument. I guess you've never done much rehab work, but all of the things showing in the images were cosmetic or, if structural, likely very minor. I saw no evidence whatsoever that the building could not be renovated.
What's worth saving? I find the argument that any of that interior is worth saving rather shallow, so it's an unuseful exercise to force a study of reuse when the developer has a plan to put the land to good use as a hotel - and that interior offers nothing of any value whatsoever to a hotel use. Even if ripping out the dropped ceiling reveals some nice crown moldings, or gutting the bathrooms uncover some nice tilework, none of these would contribute to an economically viable hotel development. By all means look at re-using the facade, but there is probably .01% of the interior worth saving, and that can be salvaged and re-used in some new context other than something that could be considered "preservation of the interior."

Fair enough, though: a dilapidated moldy interior alone does not necessitate that a building is completely unsalvagable or unrestorable. If the developer were seeking to restore this into an active hospital, it could likely be accomplished without complete demolition.

Last edited by VivaLFuego; Nov 17, 2008 at 5:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 5:34 AM
TL;DR

^^ I'm sorry? The inside can be stripped without performing a facadectomy. Basically, you would just strip the building of all interior partitions.

Also, the stuff you see from Stony Island does not go all the way back to the IC embankment. There are several wings that jut out of the back, including a power plant and other utilitarian structures difficult to re-use. If these were demolished, it would allow for a hotel tower to be erected in a very sizable backlot, with the classical brick buildings preserved up front to use as ballroom and meeting space. Plus, this extremely wide frontage building could have a portion divided into condos, and the building would screen a possible parking garage in the back of the site.

The porte-cochere, to me, makes the building seem quite hotel-like. The green space surrounding the circular drive can be re-landscaped in a much more pedestrian-friendly and inviting way.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 5:59 AM
Registered

Quote:
What's worth saving? ...
Well, from what I've seen, essentially nothing.

I was merely commenting on the argument that dilapidation = need to demolish, which we do hear quite frequently from developers. I thought it was worth a small interjection on that point, although in general I am in agreement with you on this issue.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 3:54 PM

Quote:
I was merely commenting on the argument that dilapidation = need to demolish, which we do hear quite frequently from developers.
Yes, true enough, and looking back at my previous posts that's a worthwhile clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila
^^ I'm sorry? The inside can be stripped without performing a facadectomy. Basically, you would just strip the building of all interior partitions.

Also, the stuff you see from Stony Island does not go all the way back to the IC embankment. There are several wings that jut out of the back, including a power plant and other utilitarian structures difficult to re-use. If these were demolished, it would allow for a hotel tower to be erected in a very sizable backlot, with the classical brick buildings preserved up front to use as ballroom and meeting space. Plus, this extremely wide frontage building could have a portion divided into condos, and the building would screen a possible parking garage in the back of the site.

The porte-cochere, to me, makes the building seem quite hotel-like. The green space surrounding the circular drive can be re-landscaped in a much more pedestrian-friendly and inviting way.
I think we're in agreement - the front facade could certainly be re-used to good effect, but it's difficult to imagine anything behind it playing any role in a future hotel. It's a deep enough site that losing the setback space isn't an issue if you make up for it with a taller tower to reach the same FAR and key count for the hotel.

Of course, this is all academic since the NIMBYs have apparently succeeded in killing the project in the near future anyway.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
The Economist has a new article up on Chicago:

The spotlight beckons
Nov 13th 2008 | CHICAGO
From The Economist print edition

Barack Obama’s ascendancy portends America’s third city’s, too

Television sets across the world showed a vast sea of people, young and old, black and white, dancing and crying and cheering. In the background stretched a twinkling skyline with “Vote 2008” and “USA” spelled out in lights......The city, still buzzing from the election, is now wondering what comes next.....Chicago is in many ways ready for the spotlight....

-----

Continue reading at:

http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/displayStory.cfm?source=hptextfeature&story_id=12608241
Good eye, Wrabbit. In my own little fantasy world, The Economist has a crush on Chicago (they ran a special feature on it a few years back) but it's probably just that the sheer volume of reporting is bound to include a few stories about our fair city every once and awhile. Then again, maybe it's one of the few publications to really "get" us?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Loyola Update.

I am at a presentation about the future of Loyola's campus' right now, hopefully I'll be able to dictate anything of interest here as the presentation goes on.

Flanner Hall which is right along Sheridan will be reclad from Damen style Brutalism to red brick and glass like the new Quinlin center adjacent to it. Looks pretty sharp and modern.

Also, Halas Sports center will be re-clad from gross brutalism to red brick and glass as well, a little pomo in this one to match the adjacent gym. It will also be repurposed into a type of student union.

There are also plans to move all the sports facilities to an expansion of the current Gentile center sports

OOOO I like this one, Mertz/Centenial Forum Student Union is going to be rennovated and it looks SHARP. It has the same kind of feel as the new Art institute. Lots of vertical glass and open atriums.

Lots of talk of how Loyola has constantly abused building towards city streets and how they plan to rennovate buildings to make them face main streets, like building an enterance to Mertz facing Sheridan, instead of a gate and enterance to campus.

They plan to remove all parking lots from campus and replace with green space. New green space between Coffey Hall and the Chapel along there lake where there currently is a parking lot.

Plans to turn the Area bounded by the El, Sheridan road and Granville into 6 to 8 story residence halls. Have bought most of it plans to tear down all the gross 4+1's from the 60's and replace them by modern dorms. Eventually want to make streets more pederstian friendly by setting the buildings back and removing fences. Have the support of the Alderman.

Water Tower Campus.

School of Communications will open in January. (Meaning the Clare will be open).

There will be a Storefront Radio Station and perhaps TV studio at the corner of Wabash and Pearson in the Clare. Should be nice, will really bring that corner to life...

Honte should be pleased that there is lots of repurposing and rennovations compared to just tear downs, Damen is the only building planned to be torn down currently on campus (with the exception of the rancid 4+1's south of campus)...

Also, it sounds like Damen will be imploded, which sounds like it will be fun to watch at a minimum...

Last edited by Nowhereman1280; Nov 18, 2008 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 10:55 PM
Registered

^ Thanks for thinking of me, but I wish I could be excited... I think this sounds mostly like steps in the wrong direction. The new SCB, brick-and-glass buildings they have put up couldn't be more banal and pointless architecturally. Their efforts to retool everything toward some kind of 'consistency for the blind' will only make that campus less invigorating than it already is.

4+1's probably are fine to replace although with the extra-low quality of things being built these days, I honestly have to say that I prefer them to a lot of the new construction around town.

Last edited by honte; Nov 19, 2008 at 1:03 AM. Reason: Speeeeeling

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development