HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Is it a Hyatt Place by any chance?
Yes it is a Hyatt.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRYDI View Post
Yes it is a Hyatt.
Sorry, MIRYDI - I meant specifically if this is a Hyatt Place proposal.

They have different brands, like Park Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt House, Hyatt Place, etc. It makes a big difference with what they do.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I meant "base" as in "default" model. I wasn't refering to this particular hotel's physical "base."
Yeah, it appears that this is just some kind of spec building that Hyatt is building in multiple cities. Here is the one in Austin, it's almost identical, just a little taller.

At least the front looks OK.

(Before the signage was added)

(After the signage was added)

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 4:04 AM
Future God

Quote:

They have different brands, like Park Hyatt, Hyatt Regency, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt House, Hyatt Place, etc. It makes a big difference with what they do.

Yes, it's a Hyatt Place.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 4:05 AM

Quote:

My bad...

Yes, it is a Hyatt place...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 4:07 AM

I don't think it looks horrible, its just that since its so similar to other hotels they have adds a level of tackiness that otherwise wouldn't be there.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 4:17 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I meant "base" as in "default" model. I wasn't refering to this particular hotel's physical "base."
Lol I know, that's why I said the "base at street level". I was just stating that nothing about the architectural base was outright horrible. Everything works...it's just not very attractive and is bland.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 4:25 AM

Hyatt Place is sort of their answer to a hybrid of Marriott's Courtyard & Residence Inn combined. They're nice on the inside, but they usually don't "step it up" too much with them. Some of you may remember a couple of years ago they bought out AmeriSuites and launched this brand with those properties. We have one in Downtown Atlanta right across from the iconic Hyatt Regency that looks tacky as hell, but it's great on the inside. The new builds tend to be pretty formulaic, but not too bad.

Here's a breakdown of their various brands, Andaz being their newest and most "boutique" like and Park Hyatt being their answer to Four Seasons:

http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/about/index.jsp?type=clear

What's interesting is that the Pritzker family of Chicago owns them. They are huge architectural fans, and actually are the name behind the Nobel-level annual Pritzker Prize in Architecture:

http://www.pritzkerprize.com/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
I don't think it looks horrible, its just that since its so similar to other hotels they have adds a level of tackiness that otherwise wouldn't be there.
There are some folks on UP that think it is the worst sin ever committed against the city (OK...maybe a slight exaggeration)...but I don't see what the fuss is over. The blank firewall sucks. It doesn't look 'pretty' or especially 'nice'...but it's just a midrise hotel. And at least it is an urban design.

There's a lot more that is going to be built in SoBro. This is just going to be 'another building' in the end. Christ...we shouldn't be expecting a Hyatt Place level hotel to be pushing the boundaries of architectural innovation or anything. It's a mid level hotel in a mid level building.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 4:54 AM

I think people miss the point with urban design half the time. If you make only the most luxurious and most ornate buildings, only the wealthy and elite will ever be able to entertain themselves.

Its perfectly fine and acceptable to expect buildings like this. Its good for the city.

In so far as my opinions on UP, that forum has - shall we say - issues. I'm glad I'm not there listening to it.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 5:00 AM

Quote:
I think people miss the point with urban design half the time. If you make only the most luxurious and most ornate buildings, only the wealthy and elite will ever be able to entertain themselves.

Its perfectly fine and acceptable to expect buildings like this. Its good for the city.

In so far as my opinions on UP, that forum has - shall we say - issues. I'm glad I'm not there listening to it.
Oh, it's not that bad. I think it's people there (since they are among like-minded folks) are a bit more open and passionate about their feelings. I should know. I'm one of them.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to raise the architectural standards of the city. But keep things in perspective. As you pointed out, if every building was luxurious/ornate, it would be incredibly expensive. We need some 'average joe' type infill to keep the area mixed income (both residents and visitors). As long as it's sound urban design, it's fine by me. We'll have some nicer developments that will easily overshadow stuff like this from a design perspective.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 5:03 AM

Quote:

I agree, Brandon. Nashville's core is really 'bulking up' to impressive levels. The luxurious stuff is certainly on the way, but it seems like everything is lining up to finally be what it should be. I'm actually excited for Nashville right now. I'm overdue for a visit!

As far as UP goes, meh. I haven't posted there in forever.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 5:29 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:

I'm sorry I helped take this kind of off topic, but I just have to say that a low budget is no excuse for a bad design. No one is demanding that every building be the Palace of Versailles, but good architecture can be done well on a budget, and it can even be mass produced. It's really kind of a false choice to draw the choices as either The Plaza or a freeway-side Motel 6. Hyatt's new default format, particulary for its Place brand, is just really sloppy/tacky architecture, and it has nothing to do with the price point of who they hired for the design (or even if it's done in-house).

People need to understand that a critique of architecture also isn't necessarily a critique or judgement on the entire benefits of a project. This thing has not ruined Nashville by any stretch of the imagination, but people should be able to make a critique of the design without it being conflated to a mass judgement on development in Nashville or anywhere else for that matter. One can believe that the function of this building is a net plus and positive for downtown Nashville, and still think the architeture looks like something straight out of an updated Sears' catalogue.

Last edited by LMich; Aug 17, 2013 at 5:45 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 1:34 PM

^Its not off topic, and its fine if you hate the building. I don't actually think its *that* bad.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 1:59 PM

Quote:
^Its not off topic, and its fine if you hate the building. I don't actually think its *that* bad.
Agreed. Could it be better? No doubt. Is it hideous? IMO, no. Just a bit on the bland side.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 12:55 PM

Another article about BRT posted in the Tennessean today.

Nashville's bus rapid transit projected to bring thousands to Broadway, West End

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...nclick_check=1

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 1:27 PM

This would be awesome for Nashville! It's a rather long article, so I'll just post up a few quotes from it.

Gunmaker Remington looking at Nashville for expansion, relocation

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ion-relocation

Quote:
One of the nation’s largest gun manufacturers, Remington Arms, has looked at sites around Nashville for a potential corporate relocation or expansion that would likely include hundreds of manufacturing jobs.

Reports about Remington’s search for sites come as owners of large tracts of land and economic development officials said they’re seeing more corporate relocation and other prospects in Middle Tennessee. Within the past two months, local real estate investor and developer Bert Mathews has encountered unidentified prospects at his 180-acre Buchanan Point site near Nashville International Airport off Interstate 40.
They include a 50-acre user, a 10-acre user and another users that had sought space for a 250,000-square-foot building. “Everybody’s looking at Nashville,” said Mathews, also a past chairman of the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2013, 9:52 PM

Just commenting on a couple of things...

1. Yes, Nashville needs a true luxury brand hotel. It's long overdue that Nashville should have a Ritz, Four Seasons, Intercontinental, etc.

2. If Four Seasons builds a hotel in Nashville I just don't see them building a 60 story hotel property. Nashville couldn't get a 65 story apartment/condo building off the ground, I just don't see a hotel becoming the first 40+ story building in Nashville, especially considering that the Omni had the opportunity to do just that. Unless one of the luxury brands interested in Nashville wants to limit the number of rooms per floor to being under 10 I just don't see any hotel coming close to 60 stories. I would love to see it. But, I doubt that it'll happen.

3. The Hyatt Place is what it is. It's an off the shelf design by Hyatt. It's serves a different market than it's higher end brands. The design, while not pushing the architectural design community, is more of an urban design that fills in space. Depending on the location of a Hyatt Place it can either be a focal point or get lost. In a downtown location it more than likely will get loss. In a suburban town center concept it could very well be a focal point among the other hotel designs. After all the Hampton Inn and Suites certainly isn't catching any glances either in terms of design for an urban center. For that matter even the Omni is lacking in overall architectural significance given it's prominence in serving the MCC. I think if some of the other plans we've seen for SoBro come to fruition, nobody will care about the look of the Hyatt Place and the Omni. If Tony G's residential tower is built then it will become the next jewel of SoBro. Quite frankly, I think his office building concept for his Church Street property should actually be in SoBro not bunched up with buildings in the core of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 1:48 AM

Developers unveil $700M Cool Springs master plan

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/8...gs_master_plan
Quote:
Executives with development firms Highwoods Properties and SouthStar on Tuesday afternoon showcased their plans to develop about 90 acres of prime Cool Springs land into a mixed-use center called Ovation.

The project, which will rise in the southeast quadrant of the Carothers Parkway-McEwen Drive intersection, will include about 350,000 square feet of retail space, 1.4 million square feet of offices, a 300-room hotel and a still-unspecified number of for-sale and for-lease residential units. About 57 acres of the 147-acre tract will be maintained as green space. If they complete Ovation as planned, Highwoods, Southstar and Bristol Development Group — which has been tapped to lead the apartment/condo work — will over time invest $700 million into the project.

Ed Fritsch, president and CEO of Highwoods, said Ovation will meet his firm's goal of combining "a sophisticated blend of conservation and being able to grow the economy." He pointed out that plans call for a strong sense of connectivity between the site's live, work and play elements, letting shoppers, workers and residents transition easily from one sector to the other. (See below for some renderings; the development team's website is here.)

The Ovation site — which has often been referred to as the Pickering property — sits across Carothers Parkway from the land where Vanderbilt University Medical Center is building a campus to house many of its Williamson County outpatient services. It is southeast of the prominent parcel on which Spectrum|Emery Properties has begun to develop its Franklin Park project, which will over time also bring to market more than 1 million square feet of office space.

The development consortium is working with Franklin officials to obtain the necessary approvals — some, including a height variance, already are in the bag — so that it can begin infrastructure work in a year. If things progress according to plan, Fritsch said Highwoods could break ground on the first office building in late 2014 with an eye to delivering the space in mid-2016.

Fritsch added that, depending on the health of the office market, the buildings could range from 125,000 to 300,000 square feet and that Highwoods could be flexible in terms of pre-leasing requirements. When fully built out, Ovation's offices will house between 5,500 and 6,000 workers.

"We're not a group of shrinking violets," Fritsch said of his firm, which has invested $338 million in more than 20 Middle Tennessee properties since 1996. "We have an experienced team."

Ovation's retail space will be built out all at once but the scope of its residential component is still being worked out.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2013, 3:52 AM
Future God

Aww, how cute. They even have a pretend trolley to complete the illusion.

Eh, you know what, obviously I wish a more urban version of this was being built in the city, but if there is going to be development in the burbs, then I'm glad it looks like this.

-Bob Marley

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations