HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 11:01 PM

Wow there is SOOO much going on in Miami now it is unreal. Last week, driving north on 95 I scanned the skyline and there were cranes up in every single direction....from every angle!
Way to go Miami!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 11:21 PM
Show me the blueprints

I heard someone say on a TV show about the Beijing Olympics that the stadium by H&dM COULD NOT be built in the US. The construction cost for a super-engineered innovative structure like this in the US would be prohibitively expensive—like 3-4 Billion.

The Chinese can built it for cheaper, but there is also another motivation that doesn't compare to the US in that, like Dubai, the Chinese are building this to show off to the world that they've "arrived"... they have something to prove. I wish that the US still had something to prove.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 12:17 AM

I went by the Carnival Centre tonight and each level of the stone work that creates the shell of the PAC is illuminated with white lighting. It really does a lot to help that bland stone work.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 12:22 AM

is met 2 still parking ? or has work progressed?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 1:14 AM

Met 2 has started, Met 3 is still a parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 2:26 AM

Mad Hatter, I'm also suprised that it didn't make bigger news. I'm sure once we have some renderings or something more concrete it'll start making waves. Maybe we are a little sour because the overruns of the PAC and the Airport.

ps. I hope you all stick around for a while. We need more Miami around here.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 2:34 AM

Don't look now, but a couple of city councilman up here want to move the Marlins to Orlando. I'll try to keep you abreast of developments.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
brickell-quote
"MAM chooses Herzog and de Meuron for the new building.
http://southflorida.bizjournals.com/...l?surround=lfn
can't wait to see some renderings."

Why is no one excited about this...this should of been frontpage news....Back when i heard that the MAM was trying to choose an architect to design the new building first name that popped in was Herzog de Meuron, they're great....some pictures of there work...Hopefully the museum people dont get cheap.

I guess this means the museum won't be med tile ?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
Don't look now, but a couple of city councilman up here want to move the Marlins to Orlando. I'll try to keep you abreast of developments.
No offense to Orlando, but this would would have less of a chance than the San Antonio bid. Didn't they have a problem keeping the minor league Rays in town?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell
No offense to Orlando, but this would would have less of a chance than the San Antonio bid. Didn't they have a problem keeping the minor league Rays in town?
I'm not sure why we lost the minor league team. I will say this: even though I'm not for whoring after a greedy outfit like the Marlins (how long would it be before they held Orlando hostage ?), it wouldn't be hard to sell more tickets for the Marlins than Miami did. I swear, whenever I watch a Marlins games there are about 17 people in the stands.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 4:21 AM

Just got back from a 5 day cruise...driving through the Downtown area of Miami..the cranes were impressive. Im a mortgage broker. Been in the business for 10 years. The writing is on the wall for miami..there is NO WAY the miami market can support that many condos coming on the market. The sky isnt falling, but the miami market is def a bubble market. It looks good, but its gonna be a bad deal for any investors. I support healthy growth...not abnormal growth. Anyone who disagrees is chewing on "hometown" fantasies. The new buildings will look neat!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardon
Just got back from a 5 day cruise...driving through the Downtown area of Miami..the cranes were impressive. Im a mortgage broker. Been in the business for 10 years. The writing is on the wall for miami..there is NO WAY the miami market can support that many condos coming on the market. The sky isnt falling, but the miami market is def a bubble market. It looks good, but its gonna be a bad deal for any investors. I support healthy growth...not abnormal growth. Anyone who disagrees is chewing on "hometown" fantasies. The new buildings will look neat!
There is no such thing as a real estate 'bubble'. We've had extensive discussions about the concept over on SSC.

And dave produced a chart a while back in which he broke up highrises constructed since about, I think 1950, into five year increments. The chart demonstrated that at no time has highrise construction in Miami stopped. Ebbed and flowed, yes, but never stopped.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umiami305
Met 2 has started, Met 3 is still a parking lot.
Met2 sure looks like a parking lot in the webcam picture i posted yesterday....

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721
Met2 sure looks like a parking lot in the webcam picture i posted yesterday....
They got the crane and the pilings driver set up at the Met 2 site. They even moved the Metropolitan Miami sales center building accross the street onto the Met Square site.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 2:25 AM

Thanks, u. What do you make of the comment one forumer made that it looks like dirt has been pushed around more on the Met 3 lot than on the Met 2 lot ?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 3:47 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Met 2 & 3

Enough already! I'll just go look for myself tomorrow, and regardless of what the market is doing, what is already under construction is quite incredible! There has probably been nothing like this in this country! I don't think either New York or Chicago ever had so much construction going on at one time, and the more powerful developers are going to want to make their mark on the new Miami in spite of everything, so no doubt we will see more projects rise as others fail! We've only seen the first or second wave of this high-rise construction tsunami that is going to continue on into the next decade. No doubt now that with Shaq and his buddies on the band wagon, we will see both Met 2 & 3 under construction soon and built maybe even taller than the current specs.

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Sep 23, 2006 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 3:53 AM

Well going back a month or two, there was a crane that sat in the corner of the Met 3 site while bulldozers started moving earth around on this site. Which is what caused the chatter about Met 3 "finally breaking ground". I also thought it was official. I think anyone who saw these pics I took would come to the same conclusion.
MET 3 SITE

Then all the action on the Met 3 lot suddenly stopped and the cars re-emerged and brought back the famous parking lot.
MET 3 FAMOUS PARKING LOT

Now, as previously stated, a crane and pile driving device have set up in working position on the Met 2 site and the Metropolitan Miami Sales building was moved from the Met 2 site accross the street to the Met Square site.

I will try to get some pics because you cannot get a good angle from the web cams on the Met site, specifically the Met 2 tract of land. To be cont....

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 4:21 AM

Wow ! Talk about on-the-spot reporting !

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 3:12 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

I saw a crane on the Ice2/Element site too at the beginning of the year, and pilings were drilled into the ground at the Onyx2 site, but I'm still waiting to see something rise out of the ground at both sites. Would love to see 500+ feet buildings extending as far north as 31st Street and the Bay (Element). What a skyline that would make! Last I heard, both those projects were resold as plans and property packaged deals.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 8:50 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by umiami305
They got the crane and the pilings driver set up at the Met 2 site. They even moved the Metropolitan Miami sales center building accross the street onto the Met Square site.
Yes, it is true! I went into the sales office today, which was sitting on top of wheels and concrete blocks across the street from where they were. The sales representatives said they were ready to rock and roll on both Met 2 & 3! Infinity II indeed is NOT under construction even though it is listed as such by Emporis. What else is new? I went into the sales office, which is sitting where Infinity II is supposed to be built, and the sales representative there told me they were not due to start construction until March of next year. The Capital I & II site is laden with construction materials, though no cranes yet and looks poised to start any time now. I still lament the original specs of 805 feet. With the Four Seasons at 789 feet. Capital I & II could at least go 100 feet taller than the current specs and keep the FAA and MIA happy. Onyx2 is truly dead with the sales office surrounded by a rusting fence and overrun with tall weeds, an awful sight. There is a "For Sale" sign on the site for the property, plans, and permits, not the units. I went by the Opera Tower sales office and picked up some literature that puts them topping off at 60 stories instead of 56 as listed by Emporis. Not sure if that means taller in feet than the original specs or not. There is still nothing going on at the Element (formerly Ice2) site, but the lot itself is begging for a huge development project. The lot could hold 3 towers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations