HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaodagongjian View Post
In china's opinion, China having the ability of space is helpful for the world's peace, which can bring balance to the world, something very different from now.

In China's opinion, the U.S. always do things aggressively, such as overthrow Jugoslavia, occupancy Iraq... So the world need another superpower to keep balance, which can make the U.S. more prudent, when making the decision of a war.
Hilarious. What amazes is the pass given China by it's own people, not only about its bloody past, or its authoritarian present, but also about its cutthroat international hooliganism, whether violating copyright laws, shooting missiles into space, or cutting oil and mineral deals with the worst regimes imaginable, as well as absolute intransigence over Tibet.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2007, 3:26 AM
be nice to the crackheads

There's almost too much to chew on in this thread.
China is a complicated country. There is no black or white. On one hand, I feel much more free here than I ever did in Canada. Whether this is because I'm a foreigner with money or because the Chinese take a live and let live stance on life, I don't know. I do know that I feel like I look over my shoulders much more back home due to overzealous police officers that are bored and bent on making that quota (this is due to me having a beer in public which is not illegal in China). There is much less red tape here. I find that the government trusts it's people much more than the rest of the world gives it credit for.
On the other hand, I see the poor in China really getting a raw deal. Many of the Hutongs (old neighborhoods) in Shanghai are being torn down because they are old, cramped and poorly maintained. The new high rise developments that take their place are clean and modern. This sounds like a good deal, but only if you can afford it. Most of these families from these Hutongs are moved to new neighborhoods far away in Pudong by the government. Families that have lived in the same area for generations are now part of a community that has no identity and no trust. Thousands of people are forced to live here. They aren't happy about it and it shows. These new enclaves are some of the most dangerous urban areas in China due to poverty and a lack of community.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China