HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 3:58 PM
Me?!?

A good article about Media:

How one Delaware County town became 'a cool place to go in the suburbs'
Updated: JULY 20, 2018 — 5:00 AM EDT
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pe...-20180720.html

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 6:17 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Recent article on the Victor building and its place in Camden’s resurgence.

https://www.roi-nj.com/2018/07/02/re...cial-building/

Infrastructure improvements on Cooper Street to better handle increased traffic.

http://www.fox29.com/news/camden-s-r...ent-jaywalking

Last edited by Philly-Drew; Jul 22, 2018 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 1:53 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 12:50 PM

Not great news across the river. It seems that they were banking on government incentives that may not pan out, pretty big risk.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 1:31 PM

Remember when the governor said that he was gonna shovel money into Camden?
Seems like they've already gone through an entire development cycle with one building. Big, hyped projects, downsizing, construction, and cutbacks.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
There are two construction sites between big fish and the dravo plaza shopping center at the riverfront in Wilmington, I know one is a new hotel, does anyone know what the second one is? Are the going to connect both sides eventually and be on big hotel or is it a separate project?
They're both hotels. One is a Homewood Suits by BPG (one closest to Dravo) and the other a Hyatt Place by the Big Fish ownership group.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...ent/651262002/

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:59 PM

^Yep, exactly correct. Both hotels are being constructed at nearly identical paces too. I walked by last night, and the elevator cores for both projects are already topped out.

---------

In other Wilmington area news, the AZ complex on 202 should be seeing further changes in the near future (if you don't recall, AZ downsized):

""A local developer wants to mix apartments, office space, shops and a hotel on the Fairfax campus once entirely occupied by AstraZeneca north of Wilmington.

Delle Donne & Associates purchased the 80-acre property off U.S. 202 for $50 million last year and is preparing to move a redevelopment plan through the county's approval process.

The plan involves demolishing and rebuilding hundreds of thousands of square feet of existing office space on the campus to attract new corporate tenants, according to correspondence distributed by New Castle County Councilman Bob Weiner, who represents the area.

AstraZeneca, which saw waves of downsizing before offloading of the property last year, will lease about 400,000 square feet of office space as an anchor tenant. The pharmaceutical giant signed a long-term lease agreement for two buildings when it sold the property last year.

he plan will also include a new development being branded as "Avenue North."

That development will include approximately 300 apartments as well as shops, restaurants, retail stores, a fitness center, a day care as well as a hotel and meeting facilities, Weiner said in an email publicizing a meeting to discuss the developer's plans.

Larry Tarabicos, an attorney for the Delle Donne organization, said the retail portion will be "amenity" and not "big box." He added the Avenue North portion will also include new-build office space.

"Office is still a primary focus on this site," Tarabicos said. ""

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...202/824942002/

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:58 PM

Hilton breaks ground on 121-room hotel near Valley Forge National Historical Park

Quote:
nother Hilton hotel is coming to Montgomery County.

The hotel company broke ground on a new mid-scale hotel — a category targeting an underserved traveler not willing to dish out a considerable amount of money on lodging, but one that still generates a good amount of revenue for the local economy.

A 121-room, five-story Tru by Hilton is under construction at 825 Forge Ave. in Audobon, Pa. The hotel brand and Audobon Land Development broke ground on the property Thursday, and it's expected to be completed by fall 2019.
More: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...k-wingate.html

Site: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1252...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslice View Post
They're both hotels. One is a Homewood Suits by BPG (one closest to Dravo) and the other a Hyatt Place by the Big Fish ownership group.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...ent/651262002/
Yeah. Here is a rendering of the Hyatt:

Also, any news on Downtown development? I think it's great to see all this development on the Riverfront but I am also interested to know how downtown projects are doing and if any new ones have been proposed.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Hilton breaks ground on 121-room hotel near Valley Forge National Historical Park

More: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...k-wingate.html

Site: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1252...7i13312!8i6656
My office is on Adams Avenue just down Trooper Road from the site. Should be a nice addition to the area.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 3:51 PM

Pics of One Ardmore Place construction taken 7/29/2018:

Excavation for the 5 story apartment building that will be across Cricket from One Ardmore Place:

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 10:46 PM

Interesting, I was hoping for another apartment complex at the riverfront, but I suppose 2 hotels are good as well, that's a lot of hotel space though.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I was hoping for another apartment complex at the riverfront, but I suppose 2 hotels are good as well, that's a lot of hotel space though.
Agreed. Although then again there is only one hotel right now on the riverfront. I still think that maybe one or two more downtown hotels would be good too.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyEngineer View Post
My office is on Adams Avenue just down Trooper Road from the site. Should be a nice addition to the area.
Oh yeah? My office just closed down on Adams Ave

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
A few reasons - one, the Riverfront Development Corp. really wants the Chase Convention Center to be able to get larger events. These 2 hotels when completed are literally next door to it.

The Sixers training facility across the river will be hosting basketball tournaments - AAU type, and the new facility will be able to hold around 2,500 people, so more hotels are needed.

Also, lots of news recently about all of the roads, bridges have approved (or under construction) to link both sides of the river. It's only a matter of time before we see new residential development on the east side of the river. The Christina Landing/ River towers won't be alone for much longer. see below:

Delaware awards $20 million contract to build new Riverfront roads in Wilmington

The transformed Wilmington Riverfront will undergo more change during the next two years as Delaware and the federal government spend $20 million to build new roads that connect with a Christina River bridge under construction.

The estimated 516 days of work likely will overlap with construction of two hotels on the Riverfront and a new arena for the Delaware 87ers in Southbridge — the latest redevelopment efforts in an area where state officials have invested hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars.

"This involves roadwork on each side of the Christina River, the Wilmington Riverfront, both Market and Walnut streets, as well as the street network around Frawley Stadium and the Chase Center," state project manager Matthew Vincent told a gathering of contractors in May.

The project is scheduled to be complete by the summer of 2020.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...ads/843536002/

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
It's only a matter of time before we see new residential development on the east side of the river. The Christina Landing/ River towers won't be alone for much longer. see below:
Do you think this could mean more residential skyscrapers like Christina Landing? They do kinda look lonely off to the side in the skyline. I really hope so.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Do you think this could mean more residential skyscrapers like Christina Landing? They do kinda look lonely off to the side in the skyline. I really hope so.
I mean anything is possible -- but looking at B/P Group's recent track record:

Justison Landing - Riverfront
Harlan Flats - Riverfront
Hilton Hotel - u/c at Riverfront
The Residences at Mid-town Park - nearly completed, Downtown
Concord Plaza - North Wilmington - u/c
Bancroft Mills apartments on Brandywine River - starting soon
The National - Old City, Philadelphia

These are all mid-risers, 5-9 floors. They haven't built anything "tall" in a long time.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:

These are all mid-risers, 5-9 floors. They haven't built anything "tall" in a long time.
Why does it seem like B/P is the only active developer in Wilmington? Who developed Christina Landing and the other downtown skyscrapers and why haven't those developers done anything recently?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Why does it seem like B/P is the only active developer in Wilmington? Who developed Christina Landing and the other downtown skyscrapers and why haven't those developers done anything recently?
I think there are actually a lot more active developers now than there has been in years past.

Capano - AOTA
Delle Donne - Avenue North (slightly outside city)
Tsionas - Penn Ave

Have they started on sixers fieldhouse?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 4:29 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:

Which part of the Wilmington Riverfront is most cohesive with shopping, dining, hoteling, and other public amenities? From looking at the map, it doesn't look that cohesive if you wanted to pick a spot and hang out for the day. I'm thinking something like Baltimore's inner harbor and if any of the Wilmington Riverfront will resemble that in its current iteration or future build up? Thanks.

Anyone with first hand experience, please feel free to chime in?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations