HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 1:08 PM

I'll take the character and depth of an old city like Montreal. To me, there's no comparison.

Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 7:02 AM
As seen on SSC ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
The East end of downtown Montreal is definitely trashy, covered with graffitis and full of punks and weirdos and I understand how a stranger can feel unsafe in such a context. Hopefully things will change with Quartier des spectacles because I hate this place and I feel embarrassed when I walk there. But Montreal is definitely not a dangerous city, I walk in those areas all the time late at night, sometimes with my 2000$-worth camera, and never ran into trouble. This is a sterile debate, because as someone said you can't compare a 400 years-old industrial city to a sunbelt city.
I came to MTL for three days for the first time last July and I can't say I ever felt unsafe. I was out all times of day and night and I always found the atmosphere extremely friendly and reassuring. It was the happiest place I've even been to be honest. There were always people around and lots of laughter and diversity and most places were well lit. I think Americans may be confused in the sense that graffiti in the US is often associated with hard crime and gangs but that's often not the case in Canada. Here graffiti tends to be more associated with young artistic types or hipsters rather than gangs or thugs. I suspect many graffiti artists' only crime is the graffiti itself.

The city definitely does have a "shabby chic" thing going on (although definitely not in this nabe), but to be honest, there were too many other things going on for the dinginess to even register. Its charisma is enough to overcome all other downfalls IMO. I'm strongly considering moving there.

Great picture btw!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
My argument like I said is not based on crime statistics. I obviously know that Phoenix is one of the more dangerous cities in the US, but it is about feeling. Montreal feels like the hood. I walked up and down St. Laurent which I was told is one of the more vibrant areas, and it was extremely run down.

I understand you all are defensive when someone says something about your city, but I think you are taking it out of context, or I explained it poorly.

This:

Looks like some scumbucket eastern european street corner. Trash on the street, wooden telephone poles, clutter on balconies (at least its not clothes hanging to dry), graffiti, busted up streets and sidewalks, etc. I won't even go into how frightening those alley ways look.

As opposed to this, which has intact streets and sidewalks, no clutter, no trash, everything clean and nice.
LOL, what the fuck? Is this post for real?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
It's a good thing Vicelord didn't wander into Kensington Market while he was in Toronto or his head would have exploded.
Or god forbid, northeast Hamilton (sorry Flar).

Montreal has its seedy edge, but in a way that I think gives it character. I've been in the thick of it numerous times, on Rue. St-Catharine, and never felt unsafe. If done right (as it usually is in Montreal) by professionals, graffiti can give a city a bit of character.

I come from a smaller city in Canada that is much newer than Montreal and quite 'Phoenix-like' in its sprawl. All of the cities in the region have these anal by-laws against graffiti. The result is that most of the landscape is bland and what little graffiti you do get is mostly gang tagging or, more often, poser-gang tagging.

If Montreal is a shithole of urban landscapes, then that really doesn't reflect well on the nation of Canada as a whole.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 2:38 AM

Vicelord,

Montreal is a city, not a dormitory for elderly people.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 12:27 AM

that architecture is seriously something special....

and its funny how a person with a screen name of one of america's most notorious street gangs is frightened by wooden telephone poles and clothes drying...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 1:08 AM

Such beautiful scenes. I cannot wait to get up there, probably this spring or summer.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 5:42 AM
The New Republic

love love love Montreal

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 8:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
My argument like I said is not based on crime statistics. I obviously know that Phoenix is one of the more dangerous cities in the US, but it is about feeling. Montreal feels like the hood. I walked up and down St. Laurent which I was told is one of the more vibrant areas, and it was extremely run down.

I understand you all are defensive when someone says something about your city, but I think you are taking it out of context, or I explained it poorly.

This:

Looks like some scumbucket eastern european street corner. Trash on the street, wooden telephone poles, clutter on balconies (at least its not clothes hanging to dry), graffiti, busted up streets and sidewalks, etc. I won't even go into how frightening those alley ways look.

As opposed to this, which has intact streets and sidewalks, no clutter, no trash, no people everything clean and nice.
Clutter, trash, and graffitti are generated by human beings. You're not going to have much of it in a city where there are no people using the sidewalks, rather they just drive from their house to the mall, to the office building or shopping plaza with the big parking lot out in front.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 3:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

One of many great neighborhoods of that fair city. Even around the gritty edges, the place just oozes urbanity.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos