HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 10:58 PM

I do not consider the sphere to be an eyesore. It is an amazing testament to man's craftsmanship, just as the pools and towers next to them are. Honestly, what could be more "symbolic" than that?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
The sphere looks disgusting - it's an eyesore - it shouldn't be displayed anywhere

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 12:52 AM

Just like they planted the "survivor tree" on the plaza, which was near the base of the Twin Towers and survived the attacks, I personally think it would be a powerful symbol of continuity and resilience to put the sphere somewhere near the base of 1wtc on the Memorial Plaza. Or in front of the performing arts center. Maybe with a plaque stating its history at the site. Or maybe even restore it to its pre-attack appearance. Just a thought. I am sure as time goes on, artists and scupltors will come along who will want to add tasteful, sculptural elements to the Memorial Plaza. The site should be a mix between remembrance and hope in my opinion. The near-completion of 1wtc is a big step in moving forward.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 12:59 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Seriously fellow forumers, How can anyone say the Sphere that survived 9-11 doesn't belong anywhere close to the site(because it's dented from falling debris and falling bodies,, perhaps?) This is just (in my opinion) the worst thing any fellow American could ever say.. Why am I so pissed and others aren't, Seriously the sphere represented the 2 bldgs... I saw it, before I entered back in 99 and it was Magnificent, It was the first thing I saw before I entered the WTC and remember it to this day.., Even though I live states away,, I remembr that sphere...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 1:23 AM

The Sphere was a sign of hope more than anything for New Yorkers...

Quote:
The fact that it was originally sculpted as a symbol of world peace made the Sphere's endurance a poignant symbol of resilience after a horrific act of terror.

"It survived, out of all the things, it survived," Michael Burke told The Huffington Post. Burke's brother, Capt. William F. Burke Jr. of Engine Company 21, was killed on 9/11. "That's symbolic. It's a message that we want to convey to future generations. Hope, faith and the enduring values that overcome intolerance."...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_1872779.html

MSNBC.com

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1148255

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 14, 2012 at 4:03 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 1:34 AM
Back to Basics

Perhaps learning about the Sphere would change your opinion of its value and its display worthiness.

And in the scupltor's own words:

Quote:
"It was a sculpture, now it's a monument," Koenig said, noting how the relatively fragile metal globe had mostly survived the cataclysm. "It now has a different beauty, one I could never imagine. It has its own life – different from the one I gave to it."
Link to Wikipedia article about the: Sphere

(All images courtesy of Wikipedia article found Here )

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 1:45 AM

Yes the sphere has meaning way beyond it being merely a sculpture....it was and is as others have said here a sign of hope....in the immediate aftermath that it survived and we will too

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 2:51 AM

I'm perfectly fine with the sphere being in Liberty Park it's better than it being all the way in Battery Park.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:20 AM
Come As You Are

I was always strongly against putting the sphere in the memorial. It's much better in the elevated Liberty Park, overlooking the memorial.

But this thread is about 1WTC!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 4:26 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
The sphere looks disgusting - it's an eyesore - it shouldn't be displayed anywhere
A lot of people disagree with that statement, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
I was just wondering, once the tower is finished and the immediate plaza around it is open to pedestrians, are there any plans to somehow put back the gold globe that was at the center of the old wtc plaza, and which survived the attacks? I know they moved the globe to a nearby park, but just curious if they planned to reunite it with the new wtc tower when it's finished next year?
In fact, there has been talk recently of putting the sphere on one of the plazas around the Freedom Tower. I can't find the article I read, but here's a little...

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...phere-go-here/

Could the ‘Sphere’ Go Here?

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
August 17, 2012

Quote:
The “Sphere” must make way soon — perhaps within a month or so — for a renovation of the park by the Department of Parks and Recreation on behalf of the nonprofit Battery Conservancy.....

The likeliest place would seem to be on the 9/11 Memorial plaza, not far from where the sculpture stood before the attack...But the chairman of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center Foundation — otherwise known as Mayor Bloomberg — will not entertain this idea. He hasn’t said so publicly, but his opposition presumably has to do with the fact that the memorial has already been designed to underplay evidence of the savagery of 9/11. What’s more, structural reinforcement would be needed to set the 22.5-ton sculpture on the plaza, which doubles as the roof of an enormous underground complex.

(The PA) favors moving the “Sphere” to the one place at the World Trade Center site over which the Port Authority has little control; and where the man who does have control doesn’t want it to go. That doesn’t sound too promising. There is, however, a plaza over which the Port Authority has authority and which, at the moment, has no defined future use. It is a small open space on Fulton Street, directly opposite the north memorial pool, between 1 World Trade Center and the site of a planned performing arts center.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/2...-iconic-sphere

Alternate location at trade center site could be new home for iconic sphere

September 10, 2012

Quote:
The iconic Koening Sphere might return to the World Trade Center site, near the One World Trade Center tower, as an alternative to putting it back where it had been located on the plaza between the former Twin Towers....Burke, of the Bronx — whose brother, Capt. William Burke of Engine 21, was killed rescuing people in the towers — suggested to the Port Authority in June that returning the sphere to the site could have been the centerpiece of this year's commemoration, since the 9/11 museum will not be open in time.
Burke’s idea to return the sphere to the trade center site was endorsed by Port Authority Executive Director Patrick Foye.

He said Foye proposed the alternative location on the site during a meeting they had, after Burke spoke at the June Port Authority board meeting.
“He said an alternative might be next to One World Trade Center. I said, ‘That works for me,’ ” Burke said. “He said he’d look at that and the idea of returning it to the memorial plaza where it was.”

ericwill

joe929

Richie Wisbey Collection

__

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 14, 2012 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 10:58 AM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
An Optimistic Realist

That's the best view of the 3 skylines I ever seen.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 1:54 PM
Bionic Boogie

i wonder if it will look like this in 10 years from now

DSC00008 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 1:56 PM
Bionic Boogie

DSC_5387 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 2:51 PM

I personaly think that the sphere should either be in the muesuem lobby or one of the towers lobbies. If any 1 wtc seems the best

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURKEY427 View Post
I personaly think that the sphere should either be in the muesuem lobby or one of the towers lobbies. If any 1 wtc seems the best
I would put it at the northeast corner of the memorial plaza...maybe lose 4 or 5 trees at that spot. Since the Museum pavilion is now where the Sphere used to be and I do not think the Museum lobby could house it, then the closest comparable and easily accessible location would be in the plaza.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Well, yeah, if you had a shitton of debris - we're talking well into millions of tons here - falling right on you, of course you're gonna look like a f'ing eyesore! Do you tell severe burn victims they look like eyesores?? I think it ROCKS that The Sphere survived the 9/11 attacks AND all that debris. I'd LOVE to see it in the memorial plaza, alongside the Survivors' Tree.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 3:43 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandxtreme26 View Post
I would put it at the northeast corner of the memorial plaza...maybe lose 4 or 5 trees at that spot. Since the Museum pavilion is now where the Sphere used to be and I do not think the Museum lobby could house it, then the closest comparable and easily accessible location would be in the plaza.
If you look at the layout of the memorial plaza as I posted on the previous page, you will see that according to the original design plan, there will be no trees in the spot just West of where it originally was. It was only going to be a clearing with a few strips of the grass anyway.

(Full size found HERE )

There is no reasonable excuse not to place it there, other than the owners of the buildings do not want their future tenants turned off by the constant reminder of the horror that happened nearby. That is the REAL reason the memorial has been so sanitized of the actual events. The owners literally buried the memory (Museum underground) to avoid the visual reminders.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandxtreme26 View Post
I know this is the ONE WTC thread............

but what are the little houses they built next to the pavillion??

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
If you look at the layout of the memorial plaza as I posted on the previous page, you will see that according to the original design plan, there will be no trees in the spot just West of where it originally was. It was only going to be a clearing with a few strips of the grass anyway.
That is the exact place I was referring to. I was under the impression it was originally where the pavilion now is, but your diagram is exactly where I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
I know this is the ONE WTC thread............

but what are the little houses they built next to the pavillion??
My bad; I forgot what page I was on, and I was responding to another post about the Sphere...although it was suggested about moving the Sphere into the lobby of 1WTC. I believe the "houses" are mechanical/vent buildings.

Excuse the question that has likely been answered already in one of the other 26,000+ posts, but in an effort to make my post about a 1WTC topic I'll throw this out there - when will the building be open to move in? I know we are looking at late 2013 for completion, but will they wait until everything is completed (i.e. observation deck) before allowing tenants like Conde Nast and the GSA to begin moving in, even in a limited capacity?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive