HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigleysr View Post
Construction fence is up and mobilization began yesterday near the southeast corner of 19th and Ludlow. I thought I heard that this was supposed to be a POD hotel going up on the Parkway lot, but haven't seen much about it lately.
Bird's eye view from One Liberty, definitely look like this is starting now:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
oh for God's sake, can we drop the identity politics?
just because the people they chose to show in one rendering aren't "diverse" enough, it doesn't bode well for the success for the project?
Please. Iditiotic.
Instead of being dismissive and referring to someone's opinion as "idiotic," perhaps spend some time educating yourself on matters of racism and under-representation. I'm not sure what exactly you gain by insulting minorities on internet message boards.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Instead of being dismissive and referring to someone's opinion as "idiotic," perhaps spend some time educating yourself on matters of racism and under-representation. I'm not sure what exactly you gain by insulting minorities on internet message boards.
I think this is the same poster that went on an unhinged rant because we have too many holocaust memorials. Draw whatever conclusion you would like from that.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

Great shot!

I can't remember if the 19th century buildings fronting 19th street come down as part of this development?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:34 PM

Hale looking good. Still some tags to clean up on the roof:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:05 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

What is going here?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Hale looking good. Still some tags to clean up on the roof:

God damn. This building looks so great. Such an incredible jewel for this city. The difference between rehabbing this building and replacing it with another nondescript modern mid-rise is enormous. Hats off to the developer.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 7:03 PM

I know this is getting a lot of talk and media coverage, and I was wondering where we stand on this, individually or as a group. I know the headline is not meant to be taken seriously, I was more inquiring on what we think of the project in general. Personally, I think it's going to end up happening, whether it should or not.

NAACP calls on Temple to build stadium in Rittenhouse Square

BTW, that was the first time I submitted a link here, so if I screwed up, let me know and I'll fix it.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:02 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
I know this is getting a lot of talk and media coverage, and I was wondering where we stand on this, individually or as a group. I know the headline is not meant to be taken seriously, I was more inquiring on what we think of the project in general. Personally, I think it's going to end up happening, whether it should or not.

BTW, that was the first time I submitted a link here, so if I screwed up, let me know and I'll fix it.
I'm not a fan of Temple building its own stadium because I believe that an additional football stadium is a complete waste of land and resources. I'm a fan of urban stadiums generally (particularly those which receive heavy usage such as for soccer or baseball), but there's a time and a place for them... and a football stadium in the middle of North Philadelphia is not it, IMO. What we'd end up with is another massive stadium sitting unused for the vast majority of the year, and the Linc additionally going unused for at least several more Saturdays. That said, the Eagles should offer Temple a better deal rather than hiking up the rent on them so much like they've allegedly been doing.

As to whether it will happen, the last coverage I read made it sound like Clarke was against it, and I think if he's against it, it won't happen. But that's complete speculation.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:28 PM

I was disappointed to hear Clarke's stance on the stadium. Although there is a vocal group opposed to the construction, the truth is that the quality of life of near neighbors will not be significantly impacted by 8 football games out of 365 days-many city citizens live in close proximity to event spaces and are capable of dealing with the occasional inconveniences (parkway residents for example) However, the neighborhood could be significantly improved through the inclusion of community service facilities in the stadium footprint. This is a situation that requires Clarke to get involved and help to find a solution that satisfies both Temple and the near neighbors. With his help the community could extract generous concessions from Temple and both the neighborhood and the city would be much improved. This is his job as a councilman, this is what he is elected to do. He needs to lead, not simply to parrot the opinion of the loudest group.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:43 PM

Quote:

Link works!

My 2 cents, I'm for it. The latest proposals seem to be integrating into the community as best they possibly could. I'm sure there are a few more reasonable concerns that the neighborhood has that could be taken into account, but from what I've seen/read, Temple is doing a great job. Some (vocal) people can never be pleased.

While politics with the Eagles increasing rents is another issue into itself, if Temple wants to grow into a full campus and shed it's commuter roots, an on campus stadium is a great step. They missed the boat to join the Big 10 for now, but they're following a more reasonable version of the path that Rutgers took and if there is further expansion they will be well positioned (although there is no way to tell the future).

You can argue the merits of investing in football, but a better image, including a better conference brings more competitive students (i.e. the HQ2 proposal highlighting locations near an Ivy institution) and possibly more companies to the city as well. We don't want to displace or destroy the community surrounding Temple, but we also can't stunt the growth an an economic engine for the city. They've got to find a way to coexist as the neighborhood changes (as all neighborhoods do).

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 9:08 PM

Yesterday the Philadelphia port received it's two new container cranes capable of more efficiently handling larger ships than the current cranes. For anyone traveling north on 95 just past the Linc, these are pretty impressive, especially next to the existing ones.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 9:14 PM

I think people are underestimating how a stadium could negatively affect the community. As a student at the University of Pittsburgh I am used to traveling to Heinz Field for games. Pitt gets school busses to get some students there but most people take public transit. That's a bus and Pittsburgh's excuse for a subway, 2 seats but it works fine. Temple students get a direct one seat ride to the stadium.

I am glad it as Heinz Field, as I am glad Temple games are at the Linc. As much as I love tailgating I would not want to have that in my backyard, especially if I'm not a student. Thousands of drunk college students on a Saturday morning will be a huge nussiance to the neighbors who already have to deal with it during Friday and Saturday night.

I understand Temple's need to grow out of the commuter school that is currently happening but I do not think a stadium is the best way to do so. The playground there is heavily used by local residents that will lose there green space which in an area as urban as North Philadelphia is highly sought after. Especially when that one is well lit by Temple and parks and basketball courts nearby may be in worse condition and less safe sections.

The only way that this stadium can be successful and I hope its not built is if there is huge community involvement and that the community can use it whenever they please. I really don't understand why the Eagles can be allowed to charge so much if the City of Philadelphia owns it and it received state subsidies to build and Temple is a state school. There are plenty of other things that Temple can do to grow and create a campus feel (although its a city not a campus in the middle of nowhere so I'm not sure why they want this "campus" feel) without a stadium that will displace people, such as housing or educational buildings.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
What is going here?
A hotel—11 floors, with ground floor restaurant and rooftop restaurant, and 200-something hotel rooms, is what the permit says.
Actually 252 rooms— which seems extremely high for only 10-11 floors of rooms, but it’s a POD Hotel. (Capsule hotel concept, many small rooms, cheap rooms, funky chic modern designs... if you build it, the hipster will come... seems to be the marketing plan).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 12:55 AM

Quote:

Rittenhouse Sq. that's just dumb.
Everybody knows the stadium should be build on Independence Mall. That way poor little Temple wouldn't have to deal with the City, as the Mall is Federal land.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:09 AM

Is there a rendering of the new pod hotel?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Rittenhouse Sq. that's just dumb.
Everybody knows the stadium should be build on Independence Mall. That way poor little Temple wouldn't have to deal with the City, as the Mall is Federal land.
I don't think the Rittenhouse Square claim was went to be taken seriously. I think it was more to start talk than anything else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My take on the stadium: I see plenty of pros and cons to either side.

One con that hasn't been brought up was a few years ago when Temple was really good, they sold out the Linc for the Penn State and Notre Dame games. I was at the Notre Dame game (ND fan here), and there were easily more ND fans than Temple. If they built a stadium with a capacity 35-40,000, that wouldn't be enough for the Penn State and Notre Dame crowds, should either of those teams come back. For that, they may as well go back to the Linc.

On the plus side, having your own stadium does bring a sense of identity to the team, and the school by extension. How many times has Temple played with the Eagles logo in the endzone? Unless a popular team is there (see above), it seems like no one goes to the games. It would be good for them to have a place for school spirit for these games.

Will it get built? Yeah, probably. Should it? That's a different question.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I don't think the Rittenhouse Square claim was went to be taken seriously. I think it was more to start talk than anything else.
I don't think his bid to build on Independence Mall was meant to be taken seriously either

Besides, we all know they should build a floating stadium on the Delaware.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
I don't think his bid to build on Independence Mall was meant to be taken seriously either

Besides, we all know they should build a floating stadium on the Delaware.
Personally, I'm pulling for a rooftop stadium on Blatstein's next development. With a rooftop Wendy's, of course.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Yesterday the Philadelphia port received it's two new container cranes capable of more efficiently handling larger ships than the current cranes. For anyone traveling north on 95 just past the Linc, these are pretty impressive, especially next to the existing ones.

I do not own a car. But if anyone does and is on 95, PLEASE take a photo of these new container cranes. I am very curious

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development