HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
That business was so out of place there
But it played right into the hipster pretension of being edgy and progressive. What could possibly go wrong?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 3:47 PM

Latest development pics in this thread are 2018.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...201516&page=32

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
But it played right into the hipster pretension of being edgy and progressive. What could possibly go wrong?
It was essentially a grocer store...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:17 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The old Vision Council really scripted this when they nixed the plan they had previously approved. Had the Beedie development been allowed to proceed and others allowed to follow, it certainly would not be in the state that it is today. Some of us saw the that it was going to have negative affects, even I was caught of guard on how quickly they came to be.
Even if a new council reversed course in the fall, I feel it would already be too late for what's left of the Chinatown heart, it would really take a massive effort from a very jaded Chinese community believing that city council would not abandon them again.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:32 PM

Quote:
It was essentially a grocer store...
At the intersection of Ground and Zero.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
At the intersection of Ground and Zero.
Hardly. The block of East Georgia there has a good bookshop, Fat Mao, Phnom Penh, and the recently re-opened Tin Lee market, Sean Heather's restaurant and an advertising agency office. There's a well managed co-op building, a hip new rental and a hipper new condo. As it's opposite McLean Park housing, there isn't much of a hipster crowd to pay the 'organic grocery' prices. It might have survived on Union from the passing bike trade - but probably not, it was, as others have noted, the wrong concept for that part of town.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 6:40 PM

If anything Chinatown has too much retail square footage for the amount of residents and tourists/out of area shoppers.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
They should start by blanketing Chinatown with CCTV.
Extremely woke City councilors will hear none of that.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The old Vision Council really scripted this when they nixed the plan they had previously approved. Had the Beedie development been allowed to proceed and others allowed to follow, it certainly would not be in the state that it is today. Some of us saw the that it was going to have negative affects, even I was caught of guard on how quickly they came to be.
Even if a new council reversed course in the fall, I feel it would already be too late for what's left of the Chinatown heart, it would really take a massive effort from a very jaded Chinese community believing that city council would not abandon them again.
Once that Beedie project got axed, it spelt the end of Chinatown. There were Nimbys at the time who saw it as a victory: they should be ashamed of themselves. Other than the City, the Chinatown Chinese community, especially the younger folks who started the movement to stop Beedie, has a lot to be blamed for the demise of their own neighbourhood. Their chauvinistic view should not be tolerated in this day and age.

Quote:
Vancouver Residents Fight for Culture in Chinatown
https://newcanadianmedia.ca/vancouve...rve-chinatown/

SAVE CHINATOWN Block Party (Alternative Open House) challenges 105 Keefer proposal by Beedie Development Group. May 16th, 4-7 pm @ Chinese Cultural Centre Courtyard
https://cityhallwatch.wordpress.com/...keefer-may-16/
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Yeah I don't get where a few people have it in their head that Chinatown is deteriorating. It's a functional neighbourhood that is slowly improving. Once the viaducts are cleared away, there will be a large influx of people moving in. Chinatown is going to be one of the most interesting and diverse neighbourhoods in Vancouver.
Recapping your 2019 comment: what do you think of Chinatown today?

Last edited by Vin; Jul 19, 2022 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Yeah I don't get where a few people have it in their head that Chinatown is deteriorating. It's a functional neighbourhood that is slowly improving. Once the viaducts are cleared away, there will be a large influx of people moving in. Chinatown is going to be one of the most interesting and diverse neighbourhoods in Vancouver.
Re: Viaducts
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/duns...ek-plan-update

"In an update on the project this week, the first update on NEFC in years, City of Vancouver staff stated the demolition process for both 1 km long bridge structures that bring Eastside and regional arterial vehicle traffic directly onto downtown’s escarpment will begin no earlier than 2027."

So that's not happening for a good number of years and that decision will need to hold with not one but two new city councils (2022, 2026), who knows what they will think of the demolition plan.

Sounds like a long time for the neighborhood to be holding its breath.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 9:50 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Once that Beedie project got axed, it spelt the end of Chinatown. There were Nimbys at the time who saw it as a victory: they should be ashamed of themselves. Other than the City, the Chinatown Chinese community, especially the younger folks who started the movement to stop Beedie, has a lot to be blamed for the demise of their own neighbourhood. Their chauvinistic view should not be tolerated in this day and age.
I forgot about the losers in the Chinatown community who pushed so hard against that Beedie project. you reap what you sow.

its funny their sign says >>

I wonder how the precious Seniors are enjoying the neighbourhood these days? I hope they all enjoy it as they brought it on themselves.

SLOW DOWN THERE ARE DRUG ADDICTS/HOBOS TAKING OVER YOUR NEIGHBOURHOOD. ENJOY

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
i would agree. i forgot about that development being denied. what ever happened with the lawsuit of that?

the pandemic really sped up the erosion for sure. but i dont see where vancouver can go at this point. it needs more than the City to do. it needs all levels of government.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 11:48 PM

Chinatown or the DTES can't gentrify itself out of its current situation.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:24 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Innocent, elderly bystander 'caught in crossfire' of fight on Downtown Eastside

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/innocent-elder...side-1.5994476

one of the Seniors these people were ... umm ... "protecting"?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 3:30 PM

So, just curious who y'all are voting for in October, and how they plan to solve the various grievances?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 3:45 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Quote:
Chinatown or the DTES can't gentrify itself out of its current situation.
I agree, but the solution is certainly not more of the same either. Building more SRO's and concentrating more services in the area has only amplified the situation.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2022, 5:20 PM

DailyHive - Help is coming to Chinatown: Vancouver City Council to order urgent relief
Kenneth Chan Nov 10 2022, 6:12 pm
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...-november-2022

Accordingly, near-term initiatives and strategies to support Chinatown are amongst ABC Vancouver’s key policies up for consideration on Tuesday, when the new Vancouver City Council convenes for its first public meeting for policy and business.

Some of the directions outlined in ABC councillor Sarah Kirby-Yung’s member motion were requests previously made by business and community stakeholders for years, but they failed to receive the sufficient traction needed by the majority makeup of the previous City Council, who were largely lukewarm in their support and response for Chinatown’s call for help.

City staff were invited to be part of the delegation, but did not attend

Last edited by Jimbo604; Nov 29, 2022 at 11:27 PM. Reason: removed accidently duplicated quote text

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 5:05 PM

Del.

Posted news story here. Oops, it'd been such a long time I forgot there was a 105 Keefer Thread

Last edited by Jimbo604; Dec 13, 2022 at 5:55 PM. Reason: redirected to 105 Keefer Thread

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 3:16 PM

Src: Colliers Canada

796 Main Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
For Sale | Main & Union Mixed-Use Residential Development Site

Not much happening in the SSP Chinatown thread. I did notice this for sale for $23,888,000 CAD [corrected typo]. Maybe it has been on their website a while though. Perhaps close proximity to new St. Paul’s Hospital development will be enough to move this.

shapeyourcity.ca lists CD-1 11 storey rezoning Application received May 01 2017 and application was approved by Council at Public Hearing on February 9th, 2021 with some key changes "Key changes from the last submission (received May 1, 2017) include: Height reduced from 150 ft. to 114.3 ft. (or from 15 storeys to 11 storeys), Reduction in residential strata unit count from 99 to 75m, FSR reduced from 8.12 to 6.68, Floor area reduction from 104,252 sq. ft. to 85,673 sq. ft."

"Colliers is pleased to offer a rare opportunity to acquire a high exposure 12,844-SF mixed-use residential development site on the corner of Main and Union Street. The location is within 300 meters from the new St. Paul’s Hospital development, a major draw for complementary healthcare and biotech companies."

Here is an almost 10 yr old article from vancouverisawesome.com about developing this site:

Petition raises concerns over future of Brickhouse Nov 27, 2014 11:43 AM

Potential Chinatown redevelopment could affect neighbourhood bar, student residence - Naoibh O'connor

Last edited by Jimbo604; Oct 3, 2023 at 7:17 PM. Reason: corrected typo

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
Not much happening in the SSP Chinatown thread. I did notice this for sale for $28.888m CAD. Maybe it has been on their website a while though. Perhaps close proximity to new St. Paul’s Hospital development will be enough to move this.
It's been for sale since the beginning of the year. It's $23.88m. The building has to provide 19 social housing rental units, as well as then being able to build the 75 condos in the approved design.

As Sparrow, with 25 condos slowly completing a block away on Keefer still has 10 unsold after 5 years of sales, it's not a particularly attractive development prospect at that price. If it was less expensive, the Main Street site might make sense as a 100% rental project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver