HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I don't know if it's big in the Maritimes. But it is in Newfoundland.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:10 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
that's an awesome link.. too bad I didn't post a bit of text to gain some interest. What was I thinking...

Yet another reason not to drink Labatt.

Quote:

People who drink craft beer know that Shock Top is a beer made by AB-InBev and its local consortium Labatt, and those same people who know that Shock Top is a Labatt product often speculate that the line between Shock Top and actual “craft beer” is likely left intentionally hazy so that Labatt might conceivably pass Shock Top off as craft beer–which it most certainly is not.

And while we, the stout sniffing cognoscenti, have always known in our heart of hearts that Shock Top is part of the macrobrewery effort to get “crafty” as a means to compete with (and presumably crush) small brewers, it doesn’t make it any less galling to actually see that strategy laid out on paper.

But now we can.

Yes, Ben’s Beer Blog has obtained a document, labelled a “Connections Brief” and dated September 16, 2014, that actually lays bare the 2015 strategy to pass Shock Top off as craft beer and, while your inclination while reading the marketing-speak-riddled nonsense (Link to PDF below), might be to assume that this is a joke I created, I assure you it is not.

The brief discusses the plan for new advertising for Shock Top and explains that the increased marketing is because “Shock Top is Labatt’s big bet in the battle against Micro Craft.” And while I wish that “Micro Craft” were a bearded super villain hoping to take over the world one firkin at a time, it seems clear that this is the term that Labatt uses to discuss the scourge that is brewers making craft products in small batches–brewers who are incidentally (and awesomely!) “eroding Labatt’s share,” according to the document.

The marketing plan, it seems, is to build on the opaque nature of the story of Shock Top’s origins because Labatt feels it “has the small brewer/craft credentials to compete.” Indeed it looks as though they look to build on the misconceived notion that Shock Top “is from a small brewer,” something that their market research has shown 75% of people believe.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 7:37 PM

This is an intersting study reported by Bloomberg News....

Medical pot lifts beer sales: analyst

The legalization of medical marijuana has helped beer sales, contrary to previous research that pointed to a decline, according to a note from Sanford C. Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling. Recreational pot use in the two states where it's legal has so far not had a "significant impact" on beer, he said.

"The average blue-collar Bud drinker is less likely to be smoking pot," Stirling said. "As far as medical marijuana is concerned, it does not appear to be a big threat to the beer industry."

Legalized recreational weed is likely to lead to lower prices in the long term, potentially freeing up more cash either for more weed or more beer," Stirling said.

-- Bloomberg News

Although an analysis from south of the border, it's effects could potentially be felt here. Not an unexpected result

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
You'd be surprised how many examples there are. Blue Moon in the US is brewed by MillerCoors which is a joint venture of SABMiller and MolsonCoors. In Canada it's sold as Rickards White. Rickards is of course MolsonCoors.

They also own Creemore Springs and Granville Island but are still producing solid craft beers.

There are also pseudo craft beers relying on buying a history and/or clever marketing "truths".

Sleeman is one. They also managed to pick up Okanagan Spring, Upper Canada, Shaftburey, and Unibroue before being bought by Sapporo.

Stanley Park Brewery is another which is owned by the Mark Anthony Group which makes other craft malt beverages like Mike's Hard Lemonade, Palm Bay, and Rockstar. (I actually like the Noble Pilsner)

And then there's Calgary's own Minhas who along with their rotating "craft" crap they also make beer for homeless people brewed in the US and sold as Canadian beer.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 9:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Does anyone like the "Beer Store"?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Does anyone like the "Beer Store"?
One of the most awful retail experiences anywhere in the world.

Only in Canada would we allow a private cartel of corporate brewers to run a for-profit monopoly in retail outlets that exude Communist breadline ambiance.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 1:00 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Only in Ontario.

I think the rest of the provinces have easy access to booze, don't they?

I know you couldn't get it in groceries or corner stores in Manitoba. But you could get it in hotels, so it kind of evened out.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Only in Ontario.

I think the rest of the provinces have easy access to booze, don't they?

I know you couldn't get it in groceries or corner stores in Manitoba. But you could get it in hotels, so it kind of evened out.
Pretty much the case in Manitoba.

Although a number of safeway grocery store locations, now CO-OP grocery locations, have Liquor Mart locations in Store, you can pick up your milk, eggs and bacon and grab a case of beer at the same time.....So we're slowly moving out of the 70's..

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 1:40 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh awesome! I never noticed that when I was there (I don't think so, anyway) but my local grocery was really small. It was the Fort Rouge Safeway, on Osborne (NOT in the Village, south of there, between Lord Roberts and Riverview).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 2:13 AM

^ hard to notice, I'd miss them myself. The ones I know about are the Liquor Mart Express(new catch phrase) at 2155 Pembina Hwy. so Fort Richmond. There is one at Richardson International and one in a Sobeys in Brandon. There's one in Charleswood but not sure if it's attached to any grocery outlet.

Not sure yet, but one was supposed to open at a Superstore at Gateway Rd and McLeod Ave. in N Kildonan. Slow process but moving along, Manitoba time....

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 8:55 PM

Wasn't aware of it's popularity across Canada. Craft/Draft beer to go..what a great a concept, new in Manitoba of course..1.89-litre refillable Growler you can purchase and can be filled by a staff person with a craft beer. Environmentally friendly as well..

Growler bars for draft beer now in Manitoba

www.thebeergrowler.net

History:
http://growler-station.com/about/history/

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:18 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

I had this stuff while at a Thanksgiving dinner at my sister's place in SE Edmonton.

Like drinking liquid pumpkin pie. Quite good, actually.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 9:40 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post
I had this stuff while at a Thanksgiving dinner at my sister's place in SE Edmonton.

Like drinking liquid pumpkin pie. Quite good, actually.

Tis fantastic and not too sweet... they modified the recipe a few years ago.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 10:32 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ Looooove it!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 10:01 PM

http://www.planetsmag.com/story.php?id=1858

It's an interesting concept. I could certainly think of worse ways to spend 150 bucks.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
http://www.planetsmag.com/story.php?id=1858

It's an interesting concept. I could certainly think of worse ways to spend 150 bucks.
Kitchener's (and Ontario's, I think) first co-op brewpub, Together We're Bitter, is supposed to open later this year. I think they raised startup capital through a Kickstarter campaign.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 5:05 PM

Well, with 3 days to go, might as well start early..

http://illegalcurve.com

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 5:29 PM
Mooderator

Horse Shit.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle23996997/

Why is beer so scary? Man..

Quote:
‘Beer Ombudsman.” No two words better sum up the philosophy behind Ontario’s so-called New Beer Framework. It is not about competition or customer choice. It’s not about markets. The Great Beer Leap Forward will at least bring beer to more stores – some grocery stores, even – but the system isn’t really changing. Nor is the Liberal government’s attitude to the industry. Politicians will be, more than ever, deciding who gets to sell beer and who does not, and which beer, where, when, how and at what price. Competition will still be largely forbidden.

But, good news: If you are unhappy about anything, please write to the new Beer Ombudsman. He’s there to listen.

Premier Kathleen Wynne announced the new beer strategy on Thursday, with her Twitter feed appropriating the hashtag #FreeTheBeer. If only it were about that.

Until now, The Beer Store has been a private monopoly, owned by three major non-Canadian brewers, and maintained by an assiduously lobbied and greased provincial government. If you think the solution is for the monopoly to be ended and free market competition to replace it, you are out of luck. If, on the other hand, your preferred idea is for politicians to get even more deeply into the business of beer central planning, then the province has a plan you’ll love.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 4:40 AM

I love the talk about how Blue and Canadian used to be so popular. Remember all of the advertising they did? I bet most of us can associate many songs with the brands because of the commercials. Now that they have become foreign-owned, there is much less advertising for the big Canadian names.

Some beers that used to be big sellers in Ontario but are no longer so:

Molson Golden
Labatt Crystal
OV
Schooner (no longer available)
Black Label
Labatt 50
Labatt Genuine Draft
Labatt Ice

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 8:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So, I've now had it twice...

The Sonder Hefe from Okanagan is amazing. And the red Chamblay is nice too - can't wait to try the blue.

The seasonals from here are all in their raspberry phase and I hate the works of them... bring back winter's coffee porter!

QV 1892 lately... not bad at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada