8. Robert Borden

9. Brian Mulroney

10. John Diefenbaker

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/c...ime-ministers/

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 5:47 AM
Heart of the Continent

Brian Mulroney...really?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 6:46 AM

Trudeau was the best, obviously. Everyone in Alberta knows that.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 7:05 AM

Just discovered this video which I find fascinating. Mackenzie King giving a speech at Dieppe in 1946. Have any of you heard his voice before? The accent is so much different from anything you'd hear in Canada nowadays.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 7:47 AM

Another gem. Louis St. Laurent being interviewed for the CBC by future GG Jeanne Sauve.

St. Laurent grew up fully bilingual in Quebec with an Irish mother and Canadien father and speaks with a noticeable Irish brogue. It's also a fascinating and entertaining interview of a bitter old man.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 11:26 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The best for us was, ironically, Stephen Harper.

The re-negotiation of the Atlantic Accord is the single most important and beneficial thing the federal government has ever done for Newfoundland and Labrador. We basically got what many Scots hoped of independence without having to leave the federation. The key bits of the renegotiated agreement are:

Quote:
Newfoundland and Labrador already receives and will continue to receive 100 per cent of offshore resource revenues as if these resources were on land;

the Government of Canada intends to provide additional offset payments to the province in respect of offshore-related Equalization reductions, effectively allowing it to retain the benefit of 100 per cent of its offshore resource revenues.
Danny Williams promised no more give-aways, and Harper - though opposed to it in opposition - eventually agreed and didn't turn back the settlement. Also, he did not insist on the clause that Paul Martin's Liberals had inserted that Newfoundland was prohibited from ever equaling or exceeding the wealth per capita of Ontario, and should that happen that all additional revenues would be clawed back by the federal government. That single agreement changed the fortunes of Newfoundland and Labrador, and instantly turned us into a "have province".

This corrected what had been viewed as a great injustice here: that we remained poor while our tremendous resource wealth was invested elsewhere in the federation.

As Danny Williams' throne speech at the time declared:

Quote:
"Our people are proud nationalists who believe it is only by affirming our identity as Newfoundlanders and Labradorians that we will realize our goal of economic equality within the federation," Lt.-Gov. Ed Roberts read in a speech Tuesday afternoon.

"Our people are ready to take charge of our future and, under [Premier Danny Williams's] leadership, our province will achieve self-reliance by becoming masters of our own house," the speech said.

The phrase "masters of our own house" was presented in bold text in the throne speech.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...lares-1.647371

One simply can't over-state the tremendous importance of this decision. Its impact is greater than everything else combined - the Trans Canada Highway, the social welfare system, the healthcare system. None of it impacts here as significantly as the renegotiated Atlantic Accord.

Harper was also responsible for a second major benefit to Newfoundland and Labrador - this one not quite as valuable financially but even more valuable emotionally.

His federal loan guarantee made the development of the Lower Churchill's hydroelectric potential significantly more affordable, enabling us to retain control of the project and not suffer another great loss as happened with the Upper Churchill. That was one of the single greatest strains on Canada-Newfoundland relations, and the bitterness has been weakened by this new agreement.

As our then-Premier, Kathy Dunderdale, put it:

Quote:
Our experience in confederation with Canada has included some challenges: the stigma of being the poorest province in the union, the bitterness of the Upper Churchill injustice, the resentment of a decimated fishery and the anger of not having our voice heard within the federation. However, today represents a significant shift in our relationship with the federal government. We are now a full partner in the federation of Canada.

For the first time in a very long time, the legitimate aspirations of the people of this province have been heard, considered and acknowledged as important.
http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releas...12/1217s01.htm

Of course, he'll never be voted as such here. Nor should he be - he's, by a significant margin, Canada's least popular Prime Minister ever in this province. But the, let's say "provinces' rights" aspect of his political ideology easily makes him the most beneficial we've ever had.

If any other political party had been in power instead of him, we'd still be a "have-not province", with all the injustice that entails given our vast resource wealth, and the Lower Churchill would almost certainly have never received a federal loan guarantee.

And I know some in the opposition have been saying they'd do the same, but they had 65 years and never tried.

Beyond that, our best was Edward Patrick Morris (1909-1917).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_...t_Baron_Morris

He greatly reduced crown control of public lands, expanded the railway, and presided over an especially prosperous time for Newfoundland until WWI. During WWI, he - largely successfully, and in many areas of the province, for the very first time in history - united Catholics and Protestants.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 6, 2014 at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:30 PM
ARTchitecture

Chretien all the way! Kicking ass and taking names!!!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:41 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Just discovered this video which I find fascinating. Mackenzie King giving a speech at Dieppe in 1946. Have any of you heard his voice before? The accent is so much different from anything you'd hear in Canada nowadays.

Video Link
That's the mid-atlantic accent. Many upper class or educated middle class people in the early 20th century were taught to speak like this in school (it uses a mixture of upper class British and upper class North American intonation). It went out of style after the 1940's.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post

Video Link
This will sound odd, but my background is not that different from WLMK (same hometown, similar religious and educational background) and I would say that his accent is not all that different from my own. The key difference is his rhetorical style (which I think was normal for the time - I wonder if it reflected the state of recording technology at the time?), with its slow pace and each word enunciated very distinctly. It comes across as vaguely British (English) sounding to today's ears.

Edit: Just saw mistercorporate's post and indeed, I often say that I have a very slight "mid-Atlantic" aspect to my accent.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Oct 6, 2014 at 3:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:54 PM
arf

So hard to gauge the ones before my time. I'd rate anyone that was the father of universal health quite high. Certainly higher than Mulroney.

Based on reading through some key points for each:

William Lyon Mackenzie King is not on the list? So much he did.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:55 PM

I think some would question the placement of Robert Borden on that list - he seems a bit underappreciated.

Diefenbaker at number 10 surprises me - I tend to think of his years as PM as a hot mess, perhaps reflecting more his later years than his years a PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
So hard to gauge the ones before my time. I'd rate anyone that was the father of universal health quite high.

The person widely regarded as the father of universal health care, unless I am mistaken, was never Prime Minister, nor even a member of a governing party.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A lot of our prime minister's had very short and undistinguished careers in office (Clark, Turner, Campbell, Bowell, Tupper etc), so any top ten list will include PMs that many people would consider surprising. There aren't that many prime ministers with longevity in our pantheon.

I would go with a top five list myself.

1)- John A MacDonald
2)- Wilfred Laurier
3)- William Lyon MacKenzie King
4)- Pierre Eliot Trudeau
5)- Brian Mulroney (yes Mulroney - he may have had some distasteful characteristics, but in terms of policy decisions, he was right most of the time.)

Honourable mention - Borden, Bennett, St. Laurent, Pearson, Chretien.

The jury is still out on Harper, but I don't think he will make the grade. I include the (mostly) reviled R B Bennett because he was a victim of circumstance during the great depression. Most of his policy decisions were actually good.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

While I am not sure if I would place him in my top 10, Brian Mulroney will likely be remembered as a better PM by historians than his contemporaries will.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:06 PM

In my opinion, Lester Pearson. Without a doubt. Built modern Canada. Our flag, health care, CPP, EI, decriminalization of homosexuality abortion and divorce, etc. Also the only Prime Minister of Canada to ever win a Nobel Peace Prize. And what's crazy is he only ever had minority governments...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
While I am not sure if I would place him in my top 10, Brian Mulroney will likely be remembered as a better PM by historians than his contemporaries will.
Canada's Nixon?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I think some would question the placement of Robert Borden on that list - he seems a bit underappreciated.

Diefenbaker at number 10 surprises me - I tend to think of his years as PM as a hot mess, perhaps reflecting more his later years than his years a PM.
Robert Borden is dead last for me. He stole an election. Canada's only dictator.

I once started a petition to have him removed from the $100 bill and for all commemorative names of him on federal buildings to be removed.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The best for us was, ironically, Stephen Harper.

The re-negotiation of the Atlantic Accord is the single most important and beneficial thing the federal government has ever done for Newfoundland and Labrador. We basically got what many Scots hoped of independence without having to leave the federation. The key bits of the renegotiated agreement are:
I thought Harper backed out of his commitments?

http://www.liberal.ca/newsroom/news-...cord-betrayal/

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I have to say I just love the historic, civic and geographic knowledge about Canada on this forum. It's such a refreshing change!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Canada's Nixon?
Mulroney is more like Canada's Reagan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada