HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 12:06 PM

THIS IS MY LEAST FAV. PROJECT IN DUBAI.. IT HAS A LOT OF 'metaphor', WHICH IS NOT MATURE ENOUGH TO BE USED IN MODERN ARCH. AS A STYLE.

DUBAI CAN DO MUCH BETTER THAN THIS, WITH WHAT THEY HAVE NOW THIS PROJECT IS A STEP BACK.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 2:51 AM

Some of those replica towers in the theme park are taller than some downtown skycrapers in North American cities!

Last edited by Cypherus; Jan 18, 2007 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 3:38 PM

In case it was not mentioned here before; the ASIA-ASIA Hotel that includes the replicas, is being designed by Cesar Pelli, not other but the Architect of Petronas Towers, the main replica in there.

However we will see how the end product will be, propably looking more like "inspired from..." then pure replicas.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2007, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
...This is probably 1/10 of the developement going on there!...
Actually that is JUST the Sales Centre.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 1:17 AM
`

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 4:27 AM
`

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 11:03 PM
The Desert Apple

Hi, long time lurker here!

I'm very familiar and a huge fan of most of the projects going on in Dubai, and I wish it nothing but great success in the future...

HOWEVER, as impressively HUGE as Dubailand is, that's about the only thing that impresses me about it. I was pretty appalled when I first saw these plans, and I forgot how insane this stuff was until I checked back today. I mean, I gotta agree with goldrusher, that these models are pure crap and very, very amateurish. The rollercoaster models themselves look like they were designed by a child, and as an expert in that kind of industry I can tell you that those 'ideas' for coasters aren't physically impossible in the areas shown and the amusement engineer would have to redesign a completely different layout. I don't even see one rollercoaster that looks decent in this themepark. Even the picture of that coaster loop in their advertising is of a coaster model outdated by 10-20 years! It appears they've done not near enough(maybe zero) consulting with experts in the industry and decided to just come up with random outrageous crap to see how expensive and huge they could make it.

What's worse is that so much of it is not even unique!

This project is shameful as is... Dubai deserves much better.

I hope to see much improvement as more starts popping up, because with the kind of money being spent here they could easilly blow away the type of attractions in western parks.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 1:15 AM
`

^ I agree with a lot of what you said, especially about the models. But theme/amusement parks, that have been running for years, are constantly evolving and revising and his place will be no exception. Dubailand is in its very early stages of development and a lot of revisions (and surprises) are definitely in store!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus22minus1 View Post
Hi, long time lurker here!

I'm very familiar and a huge fan of most of the projects going on in Dubai, and I wish it nothing but great success in the future...

HOWEVER, as impressively HUGE as Dubailand is, that's about the only thing that impresses me about it. I was pretty appalled when I first saw these plans, and I forgot how insane this stuff was until I checked back today. I mean, I gotta agree with goldrusher, that these models are pure crap and very, very amateurish. The rollercoaster models themselves look like they were designed by a child, and as an expert in that kind of industry I can tell you that those 'ideas' for coasters aren't physically impossible in the areas shown and the amusement engineer would have to redesign a completely different layout. I don't even see one rollercoaster that looks decent in this themepark. Even the picture of that coaster loop in their advertising is of a coaster model outdated by 10-20 years! It appears they've done not near enough(maybe zero) consulting with experts in the industry and decided to just come up with random outrageous crap to see how expensive and huge they could make it.

What's worse is that so much of it is not even unique!

This project is shameful as is... Dubai deserves much better.

I hope to see much improvement as more starts popping up, because with the kind of money being spent here they could easilly blow away the type of attractions in western parks.

When they will start marketing this project in your country, they'll surely include the disclamer: "Models and designs are for ilustration pourposes only. They in no case rapresent the final design and layout of the end product"

But since the Sales Centre is located in Dubai and the target clientele is ME. Asian and European, they don't have to bombard people with stupid disclaimers

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 8:38 PM
The Desert Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugbelch
^ I agree with a lot of what you said, especially about the models. But theme/amusement parks, that have been running for years, are constantly evolving and revising and his place will be no exception. Dubailand is in its very early stages of development and a lot of revisions (and surprises) are definitely in store!
That's very good to know, that they are still in the early stages. The strange thing is concept models for these type of parks are usually made after the plans are pretty concrete. And some folks backing this project earlier in the thread seemed to be suggesting that THIS is already under construction which would mean plans are already finalized... so I hope what you're saying is true.. that there is some better, more coherent plan out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
When they will start marketing this project in your country, they'll surely include the disclamer: "Models and designs are for ilustration pourposes only. They in no case rapresent the final design and layout of the end product"

But since the Sales Centre is located in Dubai and the target clientele is ME. Asian and European, they don't have to bombard people with stupid disclaimers
Inappropriate and unecessary insults towards other's homeland aside... that was my whole point, my friend: The models were terrible and cannot possibly represent what will actually be built. That's what concept drawings are for- ideas. These did not represent anything coherent enough worthy of showcasing via model, IMO... that was my main criticism- no direction and random bombardment of overly extravagant attractions.

This is why it's hard for some to believe what's going on here(Dubailand in particular).. because they come off as not having any real plan.

Looking forward to seeing the 'real' plans as soon as they surface.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 4:59 PM
iVAN

Well, the dubailand is beuty, very wonderful, but don't talk absolutely nothing.
It is a many things without felt, monuments, repetitions, copies of that already exists.
This project need of authenticity.
I see a momentânea necessity to occupy the position of other parks of the world and not the project that is a simply only.
The dubailand is a crazy dream of some peoples that they always desire to be the greaters in everything.
The tourism don't is consumption. Is peoples, life, culture, architecture, tradition, and everything, everything about the city. The good and bad side.

Welcome to dubai and dubailand, the city of atractions for richs and job for poors!!!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 5:13 AM
Regresando a SSP.

That's so so so so amazing!!!!!

Dubailand.....it's sounds so giant!!!!!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 2:56 PM

can anyone direct me to some indepth information on the induvidual projects in dubailand

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 12:51 PM

I feel like an idiot for asking, but these models are of buildings that are going to be built in Dubailand? To scale exact copies? I can't even understand how impossible that would be so Im going to assume Im wrong. The models are interesting conceputally but I agree with some of the previous postings and that they don't look like design models. The scale of Dubailand is impressive to say the least and Im looking forward to seeing it when I visit next year. But PLEASE someone tell me that the models arent going to be built aside from the fact it would cost more money than I could even fathum, it would be pretty tacky.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 1:33 PM

Let's wait and see.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 4:03 PM

Hi guys,
some of the pictures are really nice. However I remember last year many of those projects were put on hold until ......??? In fact at one moment the number of approved projects was restricted to only 20.
An interesting article from yestarday says that we here hold our breaths, which is without a doubt the situation.
And regarding the riches of Dubai: next month will be the credit evaluation as the Government is seaking 10 billion loan.
More over, Emaar is not generous with the dividents and Dubai Holding steps in - many new shares will be on the market in a month.
I can't help my self and always worry.
Hpe all will turn out well.

Last edited by Fran; Mar 19, 2007 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2007, 4:24 PM

^^ Emaar is issuing new shares and giving them to Dubai Holding, in return for huge plot of land in Dubai. Soon they will publish more details on that.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 3:15 PM

MARVEL COMICS Theme Park for Dubailand, by 2011. Spiderman, X-man, The Hulk, Actionman, Fantastic4 and others are comming.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 6:29 PM
Urban Explorer

This is atrocious.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 11:17 PM

hi Im from mexico but I noticed that many caracthers of the parks are already used in universal studios or disney's parks are there any relation????
a few months ago I read in a magazine that disney was looking for a park in dubai is it going to be in dubailand ??? thanks for the answers
ahhh and i have another question the disnosaour are they going tobe animatronics or what???

Last edited by chic; Apr 3, 2007 at 11:37 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa