HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 2:50 AM

Great job Stip! Not only do we need to get you a planning job in Buffalo, we need to get you over to the Planning and Preservation Boards more often.

Ellicott's townhomes.

He's calling the project, "Pasquale."

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 2:57 AM
Trendy.

Umm... Hi, and welcome to the fabulous world of 1983!

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 3:35 AM
try being in the Buff

What's up with the little piss hole sized windows.

WCP who is the Architect?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 4:32 AM

I don't know who the architect is, the image isn't clear. Kideney designed 50 Court Street for them, maybe they did this one too???

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 6:20 AM
Great White Norf

talk about piss poor design.
buffalo DESERVES better than this..
especially for waterfront property.
geez.
like justin said these plans look like they are from 1983.. i wouldn't be surprised if someone just blew the dust off them.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 2:05 PM
try being in the Buff

One bad thing about Uniland Opus losing the outer harbor is that it exposes us to cluttered up low brow like this for that whole area of the waterfront.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 2:13 PM
welcome to the madness

I would hope that the ECHDC would have better discretion than to let these kind of homes sprout up around the outer harbor. We'll see what happens once they gain control of this enormous parcel.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 4:03 PM

Hey Strip did you say you were a recent buff state grad? And if so i think i may have talked to you about this site a few times in Mix's class.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 4:04 PM
NIMBYcrusher9000

Ack! Fucking butt ugly...hideous!!

Brick walls and variable setbacks? The architecht should have his/her license revoked ASAP!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 4:34 PM

The design is unfortunate at best, it basically continues on what is already there. I am hoping for more from them for the condo tower, but I am not expecting to get it. It would seem that, in true Ellicott fashion, they waited way too long to get going on this project, and thankfully BURA was smart enough to include performance deadlines. But because of the SLOW pace at which Paladino likes to move, we get crappy design. Hmmm, we need a lot of new developers to come to this town and soon!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 4:54 PM

OK- it is only one store, but this is BIG news:

Clothier setting up Main Street shop

Business First of Buffalo

Michael Attardo is about to become an urban pioneer -- again.

In what the Elmwood Avenue clothier hopes is a case of history repeating itself, Attardo is preparing to open a men's clothing store in the Belasario complex at 514 Main St. The store, Get Dressed Buffalo, is expected to open on Oct. 10.

Attardo, who also founded the Forever Elmwood civic group, said opening on Main Street along the Buffalo Place pedestrian mall is not all that different from when he opened "Get Dressed" on Elmwood Avenue in 1974.

"In the 1970s, people were giving away property and now look at it," Attardo said.

The same scenario is almost in place in downtown Buffalo.

The central business district is seeing several new residential projects open and with that comes the need for retail services.

"Healthy communities are all about good neighborhoods," Attardo said. "Housing is heating up in downtown because it is cool and people want to be at the center of energy."

But, that spike will stall, unless some services follow. Downtown took one step forward with the opening last year of the Washington Market, an upscale deli and market.

"Right now, housing in downtown is a novelty," said Rocco Termini, Signature Development managing partner. Signature has developed several apartment and loft complexes in downtown.

"Very shortly, people are going to demand services to go along with those apartments," Termini said.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 5:27 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bolivar
I would hope that the ECHDC would have better discretion than to let these kind of homes sprout up around the outer harbor. We'll see what happens once they gain control of this enormous parcel.
I agree.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 10:01 PM
seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective
Termini adding to downtown apartment portfolio

... Webb Building ...
... Graystone Hotel ...
I'm glad someone here has a subscription to Business First.
I would have never seen that second part of the article talking about the Graystone. I was wondering what was happening with that project.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective
OK- it is only one store, but this is BIG news:

Clothier setting up Main Street shop

Business First of Buffalo

Michael Attardo is about to become an urban pioneer -- again.

In what the Elmwood Avenue clothier hopes is a case of history repeating itself, Attardo is preparing to open a men's clothing store in the Belasario complex at 514 Main St. The store, Get Dressed Buffalo, is expected to open on Oct. 10.

Attardo, who also founded the Forever Elmwood civic group, said opening on Main Street along the Buffalo Place pedestrian mall is not all that different from when he opened "Get Dressed" on Elmwood Avenue in 1974.

"In the 1970s, people were giving away property and now look at it," Attardo said.

The same scenario is almost in place in downtown Buffalo.

The central business district is seeing several new residential projects open and with that comes the need for retail services.

"Healthy communities are all about good neighborhoods," Attardo said. "Housing is heating up in downtown because it is cool and people want to be at the center of energy."

But, that spike will stall, unless some services follow. Downtown took one step forward with the opening last year of the Washington Market, an upscale deli and market.

"Right now, housing in downtown is a novelty," said Rocco Termini, Signature Development managing partner. Signature has developed several apartment and loft complexes in downtown.

"Very shortly, people are going to demand services to go along with those apartments," Termini said.
When "Get Dressed" was open the first time, a Player (Bills or other~wise) did not have to go to Cleveland to get a fresh pair of Gators! B-lo was known for it's urban fashions during the 60s-80s From Seeburgs to M Wile and of course Get dressed among others. When times got even harder, and jobs were leaving, these businesses were doomed. The fact that someone wants to even invest in "Urban Buffalo" related market again is a TRUE sign that things are indeed on the rise.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 4:45 PM
Go Pens!

Ellicott's townhomes.

Don't we already have those?...

Are you SURE this rendering isn't from 1983??

I'm pretty sure i remember playing soccer down near the riverfront in my youth and these being right next to the field...a whole lot of em'....rows...

Who the hell somes up with this stuff?! - it's like someone knocked a big brick chiminey over, kicked it around a bit, and then punched some prisonesque windows in it.

Someone's been playnig with the Legos again haven't they?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 12:57 AM
seriously

There are 3 small differences between these new ones and the old 80's version

Original 80's design have large balconies in the back, steep staircases up to the front door, and fireplaces on an inside wall.

These new designs appear to have smaller balconies in the back, front doors on the ground floor, and fireplaces on the back outside wall.

So no they are not identical. But the no-style all-brick bunker-like design is similar in both!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 3:36 AM
try being in the Buff

The entries are located in those attractive crevice like spaces. And you get to share your front entry stoop with your neighbor.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 1:54 PM

Its not like these are on the water, and most might not have any water view- they'll be looking at the garages and garbage cans of Rivermist. To be fair- some will have a water view because of the inlet between Rivermist and Gull Landing townhomes. I think that is where the storm drain enters Erie Basin.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 2:43 PM
welcome to the madness

At the very least however, the silver lining to this development is property tax generating property as opposed to the 1000 houses that the city owns and is looking to have torn down in other parts of the city. Obviously, nobody is thrilled with the design, but as long as they sell and keep or increase their value, what's the harm?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 6:39 PM
seriously

Dulski Building Artwork

I noticed today the statues outside the Dulski building have been removed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations