HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 2:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Ah okay, I didn't know that about BIG's design. It does perhaps seem more tenant friendly especially towards the top of the building since it has larger floor plates as opposed to Foster's which gets narrow at that point.

If BIG's is built I hope it's at least tweaked a bit. It's utter garbage as is, and I'm not even that critical and like most buildings.

Larry Silverstein has probably forgotten more about real estate and development than any here will ever know. He's repeatedly said before that Foster's design was "dated" (Of course, that could happen with something that was designed a decade ago. Even 15 Penn was reportedly redesigned). But he's trying to get this tower built, and has also said options were open for the site in regards to Foster's design - as they should be. But I wouldn't count on a particular tenant saying "Hey Larry, whatever happened to that old Foster design?". You can visit any building website, be it office or residential, and they aren't trotting out designs that they don't intend to build. The smart thing to do is go with what you see before you, and everything I see points to BIG's design.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 1:16 AM

Here's a crazy idea. What about BIG's blocks with the top block having Foster's diamond finish? I know it'd never happen, but it'd be an interesting compromise as those are really the two central elements of both designs.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 1:54 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Could possibly work with the lower portioned block or two kept absolutely square with the subtlest of ascending transitions to the hexagonal dimensions of LNF's baby.
It'd actually turn out rather disjointed precisely because LNF's proposal isn't a box. You'll see what I mean when you look at it and notice that the diamonds aren't flush with one another.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 12:29 PM
BANNED

Sunday Morning on CBS aired this great segment yesterday, including an interview with Larry Silverstein, but they didn't mention the tower by name. Interesting piece though.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/decorat...th-street-art/

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 3:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Current state of affairs on site...I think they should switch it up for the holidays.

OCTOBER 28, 2018

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:36 AM
BANNED

It would’ve been nice if Alphabet anchored 2 WTC, but we’re lucky that they’re taking so much space in NYC.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/29/alphab...oot-workplace/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 2:47 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
It would’ve been nice if Alphabet anchored 2 WTC, but we’re lucky that they’re taking so much space in NYC.
Seriously... but someone please just anchor this building. It's amazing how towers this size can pop up around Manhattan because they all have tenants but one of the biggest landmark sites on the planet can't. Are people still scared after 9/11?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:03 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think further ammunition on the likely hood of the Foster design being a probability. The interview with yimby and silverstien was posted on the 2 wtc site under "news".

Unless I'm reading too much into it, for the question to be posed that foster may happen, and a "yes" answer as a possibility per Larry, depending on the tenant needs, always good.

So have faith is what I say!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:11 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I think further ammunition on the likely hood of the Foster design being a probability. The interview with yimby and silverstien was posted on the 2 wtc site under "news".

Unless I'm reading too much into it, for the question to be posed that foster may happen, and a "yes" answer as a possibility per Larry, depending on the tenant needs, always good.

So have faith is what I say!

I think it's a win win, Foster's design is pretty cool looking and I wouldn't mind it at all. But BIG's has grown on me a lot and is massive all the way to the top like the original WTC.

But yea, tenant needed in either case

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Seriously... but someone please just anchor this building. It's amazing how towers this size can pop up around Manhattan because they all have tenants but one of the biggest landmark sites on the planet can't. Are people still scared after 9/11?
Relax. It's no different than it's always been. I don't know how many times I have to keep repeating this, but Downtown always has and always will take time to absorb as much space as the WTC is putting there. As far as Manhattan goes, you can't simply replace one building with another, one location with another. It's more complicated than that.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Relax. It's no different than it's always been. I don't know how many times I have to keep repeating this, but Downtown always has and always will take time to absorb as much space as the WTC is putting there. As far as Manhattan goes, you can't simply replace one building with another, one location with another. It's more complicated than that.
Yes. Downtown will always play second fiddle to Midtown as long as the transportation to midtown remains superior. Downtown has no Amtrak, LIRR, Metro North or any speedy connection to the regions largest international airport (JFK). Midtown has all of it. At best, Downtown has a beautiful PATH/Subway station. Even at that though, the NYC Subway is still better accessed in Midtown Manhattan, and even downtown Brooklyn has better access to transit. This is all about access, land value and tenants value Location Location Location.

Last edited by hughfb3; Nov 25, 2018 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:32 AM
New Yorker for life

From and interview with Larry Silverstein...

https://commercialobserver.com/2018/...y-silverstein/

BY CATHY CUNNINGHAM
NOVEMBER 28, 2018

Quote:
Larry Silverstein’s name has become synonymous with the rebuilding of the World Trade Center, but the Silverstein Properties chairman has many other projects in the works.

On a particularly rainy day in New York City, Commercial Observer caught up with Silverstein over hot chocolate and freshly-baked cookies (the best this reporter has ever tasted) at his office at 7 World Trade Center.
Quote:
...You recently received the Urban Land Institute’s Visionary Leadership in Land Use award. What does this mean to you, in the context of your work at the World Trade Center?

Is it visionary? I suppose so. Is it an achievement? Sure, I suppose so. Where the hell the time has gone? I don’t quite know. But we’ve spent 17 years since 9/11 rebuilding the Trade Center. I acquired the Twin Towers six weeks before 9/11, and so the circumstance was obliterating from the standpoint of eliminating the buildings we had acquired for $3.2 billion. It changed my life and the direction of my life, because the next 17 years required a hugely intensive focus on anything and everything to do with respect to rebuilding the Trade Center.

Where did you begin?

One of the first things we had to do was to try to recover the multiple billions of dollars that would be needed to rebuild as it turned out that we had to litigate with 22 insurance companies. That ultimately produced court verdicts in our favor and enabled us to collect $4.5 billion, although that turned out to be totally inadequate in terms of rebuilding—but that’s besides the point.

.....now, we’re deeply involved in negotiations for Tower 2 [at 200 Greenwich Street], which will be 2.8 million square feet. End of day, it’s been a labor of love, a major personal commitment to rebuild it and it’s been a fascinating study in human nature.
Quote:
Has your World Trade Center vision been realized, so far?

It has been totally realized. We just have to finish Tower 2. And once that’s done then I’ll say, “Ok, I quit. I’m gonna find something else to do with my time.”
Quote:
I understand that you’re a fan of street art and that some of it is finding its way into World Trade Center. How did that come about?

When we finished the original 7 World Trade Center, I realized that I had put too much of the same marble in the lobby of the building and it looked like a mausoleum. I remember saying to myself , “How could I do such a dumb thing?” I called my wife and said, “Sweetheart, come down here and take a look with me.” She came down and said: “Larry, it’s a mausoleum. Maybe you should try finding some contemporary art to change it.” So we starting looking. We found a piece by [abstract expressionist] Al Held, a major artist of that time [the late 1980s], a very graphic and hard-edged piece with lots of color and activity. Then we went out to find another, a piece by Lichtenstein. We proceeded to buy different pieces of art and developed a terrific collection in that lobby. Of course all that was destroyed on 9/11. The good thing is that we weren’t destroyed, but the art was gone.
Quote:
You also allowed artists to paint a floor in Tower 4, too?

We had an empty floor and we let a group of artists go up there and told them: “Paint to your heart’s delight.” And we let them paint the floors, the ceilings, the windows. One day the CEO of Spotify came in and we took him up to that floor and he fell in love with it. He ended up leasing 400,000 square feet of space there. Now we’re thinking about what we’ll do in Towers 3 and 2. We have street art on the containment wall around Tower 2, we gave the artists the opportunity to have exposure there, which is enormously important.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:37 AM
DENNAB

Well good to know he's out there trying everyday, he's not getting any younger.

Are there even any potential tenants in line?

Wouldn't it also technically be finished when Tower 5 is done?

Good to hear some news though...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 4:41 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Are there even any potential tenants in line?
I sure hope so. Otherwise, he's beginning to show signs of age...

Quote:
now, we’re deeply involved in negotiations for Tower 2

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqynFG9gJJh/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 3:50 PM
BANNED

I can envision Amazon leasing at least 1m sf in this tower.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 6:55 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I can envision Amazon leasing at least 1m sf in this tower.
I thought they're strictly looking at Queens, tho. Is there a possibility they'd consider establishing part of their HQ2NY office in Lower Manhattan?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 7:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
I thought they're strictly looking at Queens, tho. Is there a possibility they'd consider establishing part of their HQ2NY office in Lower Manhattan?
Amazon is flush with cash. Although they're building in Queens, I could see them buying a 1m sf condo in this tower.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 9:17 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Amazon is flush with cash. Although they're building in Queens, I could see them buying a 1m sf condo in this tower.
Granted.

I wonder what New York submitted to Amazon as far as their RFQ package is concerned. I know what Pittsburgh and Philadelphia sent with their respective packages, but not New York...

In any event, I don't think it matters who does what with that building. I would like to see it built. I must say I do favor the Foster design over BIG. Quite frankly, I'd rather see some kind of a twin of One World Trade built there, but I know it's not likely. The Foster design will have to do...

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 12:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
No. Their deal with the state is strictly Long Island City.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 4:14 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hopefully the recent leases at 3 WTC spell some confidence for this tower. Its been in smaller chunks, less than 120k sq-ft per tenant, but I think that might be the strategy at play if 3 WTC is a case study. To not shoot for the big players, but smaller ones until the commitment threshold is made for 2 WTC.

60k, 80k, 70k... start to add up when you talking about commitment. A series of smaller tenants, and the threshold could be made with greater likelihood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction