HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 6:51 PM
BANNED

Very nice. As I recall, 7th currently has no retail along that area. A nice outdoorsy cafe on a relatively quiet street is a real plus to the hood.

Bit by bit.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 6:58 PM
BANNED

To me, Pink Line heals many problems. It generally helps move traffic east and west between naturally connected areas (E. Hollywood/Silver Lake to Weho/BH) but also connects north and south within the Westside (half way between DT and 405/Sepulveda).

A Robertson stop on Purple would have been nice, but as Andrew notes, most of the active Robertson business district is further north and Pink Line helps out.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Exterior renovation of this building in Koreatown.
Looks like lipstick on a pig there but it should be a worthwhile improvement.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 10:13 PM

I work in Paramount Plaza (the building across the street that faces Wilshire) every so often, and I have to say that it actually looks like a decent renovation job. Really excited for the retail component. That little neighborhood has some potential.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 12:34 AM
BANNED

and about 2 blocks to the Purple Line.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 8:51 AM

Yes, I agree that a Pink Line would do a lot, but having a Robertson station just seems logical to me because it has a lot of potential for growth near the intersection. I guess its moot if Metro is leaving it out.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 3:38 PM

©me

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 9:03 PM
500 foot Groundscraper

Yeah Westwood is cool

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 9:20 PM

That's a shot that never gets old! I wish it was a bit clearer!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 11:47 PM

I agree there should be either a Roberston station, or a Doheny station. there's a relatively big gap between the Rodeo and La Cienega stations that could be used.

BTW, has metro chosen the alternative for La Cienega so that the Pink Line can connect to it?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 6:05 PM
BANNED

It strikes me that Option C has the most advantages re connectivity. It also effectively lowers the gap between La Cienega and Rodeo stations, since the La Cienega stop moves west (and the Rodeo stop is actually east of Beverly Dr.).

The CC/Westwood picture is great even though it cuts off some of Westwood to the right. And I don't think Pauley even shows up.

Last edited by pesto; Jul 21, 2010 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
The CC/Westwood picture is great even though it cuts off some of Westwood to the right. And I don't think Pauley even shows up.
pauley is too far down in the valley to be captured from that angle. even it were otherwise visible its blocked by the highrise dorms.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post
Yes, I agree that a Pink Line would do a lot, but having a Robertson station just seems logical to me because it has a lot of potential for growth near the intersection. I guess its moot if Metro is leaving it out.
THAT'S SOOOOOO GAAAAAY!!!!! SO YOU BEEN TO ABBY LATELY???

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 3:02 AM

From the Los Angeles Times:

Luxury condo tower in Century City is completed
Deluxe high-rise living is relatively new in Los Angeles, but more projects are targeting buyers in the top financial strata.
By Roger Vincent, Los Angeles Times
July 24, 2010

The Art Deco-inspired Century City condominium tower expected to be the home of wealthy widow Candy Spelling and many other moneyed residents has been completed after nearly six years of planning, demolition and construction.

With high-rise living still rarer in Los Angeles than in other international cities, the dramatic 41-story Century on Avenue of the Stars is targeted at a sliver of home buyers willing to spend as much for a condo as they would for a sumptuous home in an exclusive neighborhood such as Beverly Hills or Malibu.

The Century is further challenged by hitting the market after one of the most painful housing slumps in history, which depressed prices at all levels including the top end. In recognition that times have changed, developer Related Cos. reduced prices as much as 25% on the building's 140 units.

A handful of other deluxe condominium projects have opened in recent months, chasing the same plump wallets.

"These kind of service-rich condos and townhouses have been around in New York and Chicago, but they're relatively new in L.A.," said real estate consultant Larry Kosmont, president of Kosmont Cos. "It's really hotel-quality five-star living."

The developer stopped marketing the Century as the recession took hold, said Susan de Franca, president of sales for New York-based Related. In 2008, before the worst of the housing downturn, the company sold an upper unit for $15 million and the top two floors to Spelling for $47 million.

The prices, exceeding $2,700 per square foot, were a record high for Los Angeles-area condos. Related has since lowered prices for buyers, including Spelling, who committed to the building before the market turned, de Franca said. The reduced figures have not been disclosed.

[...]

Click here for the rest of the story:
Luxury condo tower in Century City is completed

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 4:18 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

The Movietown Plaza project on Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood will break ground in September. Nothing better than having a large strip mall converted into a dense housing complex. Even better when you consider it's only 0.3 miles from a potential subway station at Santa Monica/La Brea. Lots of density is planned for the area, which will only make a stronger case for the Pink Line to get built.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...town_plaza.php

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 5:53 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

That's great news. I'm having a tough time picturing what's there now. But this is near the West Hollywood Gateway shopping center, no?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 7:15 PM

Is this the shopping center where the Yukon Mining Co. was?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 9:40 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Yes to both of you.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 3:25 PM

^^^
Ah OK; another landmark from my youth is biting the dust, then. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that site is being redeveloped; but I guess I do hold a little bit of nostalgia for the Yukon Mining Co., with its mix of club-goers, rent boys and drug addicts, back in the 90s... but I guess the restaurant has been closed for a while now anyway. It's funny, but I feel like LA used to have more of "an edge" back then; I'm hoping LA doesn't become too "safe and sane" and populated with the type of people who shop at Pottery Barn and get excited about Cheesecake Factory.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 5:25 PM
BANNED

Movietown is about as good as you can hope for: 10 stories, retail, housing, open space, underground parking. I figured it was another "approved, no start date" for the foreseeable future. Now for 100 more of these.

sopas: I don't think you need to worry too much yet. I think the "medical pot and tattoo" crowd and the "Target and McDonalds" crowd still dominate in many areas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations