HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 12:55 PM

As this inland port could be a huge catapult for Salt Lake City's future, it probably merits our discussion. What's your opinions?

Environmental activists, community members join city officials in protest of bill that aims to convert northwest Salt Lake City into an international trade hub

By Paigthen Harkins, The Salt Lake Tribune https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/03/...nal-trade-hub/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
As this inland port could be a huge catapult for Salt Lake City's future, it probably merits our discussion. What's your opinions?

Environmental activists, community members join city officials in protest of bill that aims to convert northwest Salt Lake City into an international trade hub

By Paigthen Harkins, The Salt Lake Tribune https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/03/...nal-trade-hub/

They should pass the second bill that will be introduced soon. Create a port authority but leave the plan that SLC has in place.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Your welcome GrandTeton, but just remember that most of these updates are courtesy of the hard work of Isaac Riddle and Mike Fife's Photography. We are very fortunate that Isaac founded his business "Building Salt Lake", which is constantly gathering this information, and keeping us up to date. After his initial reporting on the many projects, I wait a few weeks then take the sooo convenient advantage of simply copying and pasting the info again. For many like myself, the reporting and the visual reminders cut like a hot knife about the fact that a lot really is going on in the buildup of Salt Lake City and its Metro.

We can't say THANKS enough Isaac!!!
You guys can show your appreciation by becoming members

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 12:47 AM

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
Oh thank the Lord

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 3:33 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:

City should hold out for one more board position and then do it. It only impounds 5% of generated tax increment to the state. You want the state motivated and in the money on this deal. The city has proven that it drags its feet on every aspect of development. This is a hammer so planning and zoning and building and fire don't get to "wish list" the inland port to death.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
City should hold out for one more board position and then do it. It only impounds 5% of generated tax increment to the state. You want the state motivated and in the money on this deal. The city has proven that it drags its feet on every aspect of development. This is a hammer so planning and zoning and building and fire don't get to "wish list" the inland port to death.
The city can't hold out they are at the mercy of the legislature.

Taxes aren't the only issue. Land use and zoning is one of the major things the city wants to keep control of. Namely they want to protect important riparian areas and make sure that the Inland Port doesn't turn into a massive coal storage/exporting facility.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 4:50 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
I’m not sad to see that go... I wish they would also tear down the motel 6 that is right next to it... probably wouldn’t hurt to tear down the quality Inn that’s behind it as well... whatever it’s called now.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 3:00 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
The city can't hold out they are at the mercy of the legislature.

Taxes aren't the only issue. Land use and zoning is one of the major things the city wants to keep control of. Namely they want to protect important riparian areas and make sure that the Inland Port doesn't turn into a massive coal storage/exporting facility.
Exactly why this board is being proposed. I could provide direct examples of major developments being shooed away in SLC in the last year, not because the legislature is Mormon and "suburban". I'm talking just straight up sclerotic regulatory and administrative clogging and petty political blocking. Go down to city hall and ask somebody why the State Street RDA Area has been fully drawn and not designated for over two years. Two years means a lot in the development world. I know of a Denver firm that had big plans for a huge swath of downtown periphery buildings and land and couldn't get an RDA board hearing on an area boundary issue. I also know of a massive tech company that literally couldn't get a meeting with city higher ups. This is day-to-day SLC and its not lost on the legislature and governors office, hence fun things like the Inland Port Authority.

All of this doesn't matter anyway. This deal is happening. Period. But, good on Jackie for working the deal. Current draft has the Authority only claiming 2% of available TIF (down from 5%). HERE IS THE CODE AS CURRENTLY WRITTEN if anybody wants to read it. Basically, it creates a development conduit between city, state and county to maximize exposure, get grants and get shit built. And Jackie has really impressed me on this, which I didn't expect. She's getting real concessions and making a difference.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 5:23 PM

Backhoes are digging on the Boyer State street site. I don't know if this is actually the commencement of construction on the residential tower, but something's happening.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I’m not sad to see that go... I wish they would also tear down the motel 6 that is right next to it... probably wouldn’t hurt to tear down the quality Inn that’s behind it as well... whatever it’s called now.
Same here. Not a fan of that motel or the motel 6 being on 600 So. Also, good to see 600 S. moving on another development. I hope we'll see Patrinely begin some time this year.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Exactly why this board is being proposed. I could provide direct examples of major developments being shooed away in SLC in the last year, not because the legislature is Mormon and "suburban". I'm talking just straight up sclerotic regulatory and administrative clogging and petty political blocking. Go down to city hall and ask somebody why the State Street RDA Area has been fully drawn and not designated for over two years. Two years means a lot in the development world. I know of a Denver firm that had big plans for a huge swath of downtown periphery buildings and land and couldn't get an RDA board hearing on an area boundary issue. I also know of a massive tech company that literally couldn't get a meeting with city higher ups. This is day-to-day SLC and its not lost on the legislature and governors office, hence fun things like the Inland Port Authority.

All of this doesn't matter anyway. This deal is happening. Period. But, good on Jackie for working the deal. Current draft has the Authority only claiming 2% of available TIF (down from 5%). HERE IS THE CODE AS CURRENTLY WRITTEN if anybody wants to read it. Basically, it creates a development conduit between city, state and county to maximize exposure, get grants and get shit built. And Jackie has really impressed me on this, which I didn't expect. She's getting real concessions and making a difference.
This surprises me considering how much of a focus it appeared Ralph Becker placed on improving the build permitting process. If it is that dysfunctional I would be hesitant to put too much blame on Jackie considering she is new and changing deep seated dysfunctional bureaucracy is very challenging, especially when they know elected officials come and go with the political winds.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Backhoes are digging on the Boyer State street site. I don't know if this is actually the commencement of construction on the residential tower, but something's happening.
Construction won't start until they go through planning. It is probably soil/site exploration.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 2:07 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Oh thank the Lord

Shame to lose some of that classic 1970s motor architecture.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:29 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
So Future Mayor is gone, gone I guess? Interesting, he joined June 14th of 2007 and last posted June 14th of 2017. Gave it a solid 10 years to the day.
As noted a month or two back I am not gone, but have just been crazy busy and I am in the midst of catching up, I have to say some of this is very interesting thought provoking dialogue. Particularly this West west stuff, so enthralling

I will get back into topical discussion once I catch up. I will say this, I have been contacting several property owners in the C 9th vicinity to get a commitment that they are interesting in selling, so far no response but I will keep bugging them. I have a lender that has investing partners that he feels would be interested in the concept, and could potentially have an out of state investor of my own interested.

I'll see you in current discussions soon. Hopefully by the next week, but I'm only currently on page 63, so I have a ways to go.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:59 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...oman-says.html

See? I said this would happen. They would get funds and approve to build additional shelters... then they would find an excuse to keep the old one open...

Goodbye Gateway. The city made promises and now they are breaking them. I predict that Dave and Busters doesn’t last 2 years unless that shelter closes... A lot of businesses in the area we’re depending on this.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...oman-says.html

See? I said this would happen. They would get funds and approve to build additional shelters... then they would find an excuse to keep the old one open...

Goodbye Gateway. The city made promises and now they are breaking them. I predict that Dave and Busters doesn’t last 2 years unless that shelter closes... A lot of businesses in the area we’re depending on this.
I don't think that this will extend the life of the Road Home. What this is, is a preemptive warning to other cities that they may be forced to accept an emergency shelter.

SLC isn't going to allow any more shelters. I am fairly certain that it got codified into law that once the 2 Resource Centers are built there will be no new/additional shelters or centers located within the city limits. It is also codified that the Road Home closes next year.

With Midvale and South Salt Lake having or will be having a shelter/resource center in the near future, this means that another city or 2 will most likely be forced to host an emergency shelter. If more cities would setup possible shelters for say 25 to 50 people, many smaller shelters could be built and they would have a very small impact to the communities.

I know it won't happen but it would be great if Utah County/Provo stepped up to the plate but again, that is beyond doubtful.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 3:16 PM

Great article in Utah Business. Nothing we don't already know, but interesting reading all the same.

Build Out: Population Growth will Reshape Utah’s Housing Landscape

Utah Business - Rachel Madison Feb 22, 2018
https://utahbusiness.com/build-popul...ing-landscape/

“We can’t just keep growing outward because we hit mountains and lakes and federal land. Increasing prices are just going to get worse.
Are we going to create the opportunity for more housing within the existing valleys along the Wasatch Front or are we going to eventually require our
growth to happen in the next valley over?” – Ari Bruening, Envision Utah

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I don't think that this will extend the life of the Road Home. What this is, is a preemptive warning to other cities that they may be forced to accept an emergency shelter.

SLC isn't going to allow any more shelters. I am fairly certain that it got codified into law that once the 2 Resource Centers are built there will be no new/additional shelters or centers located within the city limits. It is also codified that the Road Home closes next year.

With Midvale and South Salt Lake having or will be having a shelter/resource center in the near future, this means that another city or 2 will most likely be forced to host an emergency shelter. If more cities would setup possible shelters for say 25 to 50 people, many smaller shelters could be built and they would have a very small impact to the communities.

I know it won't happen but it would be great if Utah County/Provo stepped up to the plate but again, that is beyond doubtful.
Completely Agree Makid!! More communities need to step up, including Utah County. Smaller less impactful homes(resource centers) are a must for continuing on into the future.

Downtown Update - City unveils revised design for women’s homeless resource center

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/cit...source-center/

According to city officials, the designs for the centers were revised after gathering input from workshops and public open houses last year. The designs focus on three themes, safety for both users and surrounding neighbors, design to mitigate potential negative effects and integration into the larger neighborhoods.

The 700 South resource center will occupy 2 acres and will replace what was previously a Deseret Industries and surface parking lot. The 61,229 square-foot center will be two stories and will house up to 200 women at a time...

Rendering of the proposed 700 South Homeless Resource Center. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Rendering of courtyard in the proposed 700 South Homeless Resource Center. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Central City South - High Avenue Homeless Resource Center

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/cit...center-design/

...The High Avenue HRC will predominantly serve male residents and will go located just east of 300 West on High Avenue (around 1500 South). The site is directly south of the Enclave Apartments, a 251-unit affordable housing development that opened in 2016.

That High Avenue HRC is one of two centers the city plans to build this year. A second, woman-only HRC is planned for the Deseret Industries site near State Street on 700 South. The High Avenue building will have 200 emergency beds and will predominantly house men. The two-story building will have the 160 emergency beds, dining area, kitchen, exam room, clinic offices, hygiene room, intake office, courtyard and storage on the ground floor. The second floor will include 40 emergency beds reserved for women, offices, a community room, programming rooms, a commons area, crisis rooms and a computer lab...

Rendering of the proposed High Avenue Homeless Resource Center. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Rendering of the courtyard in the proposed High Avenue Homeless Resource Center. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 8, 2018 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:01 PM

Just a few pictures of some of the many recent projects to liven up the page. I love the Building Salt Lake reports and pics, Thanks Isaac!! Also, can't say enough about how important these many appropriately sized missing middle projects are to Salt Lake City's overall atmosphere. I see daily the negative impact that out of control sized 70's-80's style apartments have seriously damaged so many neighborhoods in Central L.A. There's definately many streets where larger six-plus story apartments are desired, but often they're not appropriate when off the beaten path, and plopped into the middle of historic or smaller scale neighborhoods.

Downtown Adj. - East Central and 9th and 9th projects nearing completion

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/in-...-completion/3/

Liberty Blvd.

https://i2.wp.com/www.buildingsaltlake.com/

The latest development by Cowboy Partners in Salt Lake City, Liberty BLVD, is well underway and currently pre-leasing. The project replaces a former Wonderbread factory and will have 267 units and 4,000 square feet of commercial space on 400 South. The sprawling project has street frontage on 400 South, 700 East and 500 South and sits just west of the idiosyncratic Gilgal Gardens.

The north side of the Liberty BLVD Apartments as seen looking west on 400 south towards 700 East. Photo by Mike Fife.

A large variety of materials and a mix of their design patterns are being used to sheath the mass transit adj. Liberty Blvd. Pictured, the north facade of the Liberty BLVD Apartments on 400 South just east of 700 East. Photo by Mike Fife.

Haxton Place Apartments

https://images1.apartments.com/

The Haxton Place Apartments is framed out at 900 East and Haxton Place just south of South Temple. The three-story 39-unit project is much smaller project than originally proposed. Initially, the developers, Baron Equities, proposed a five-story 105 unit project which they argued fit well with the much taller towers to the north and south. These older, taller projects were mistakes not to be repeated, according to area residents, particularly those residing in the historic homes on Haxton Place which borders the project to the east. Earlier this year the Historic Landmark Commission approved the scaled-down proposal...

The under-construction Haxton Place Apartments as seen looking north along 900 East from 100 South. Photo by Mike Fife.

Crews constructed a significant retaining wall on the east side of the property and you can see one of the historic homes on Haxton Place to the east beyond the wooden fence. Photo by Mike Fife.

Haxton Place Apartments are on the east side of 900 East, south of South Temple. Photo by Mike Fife.

Mutual Beauty Mixed - Use Development

Rendering of the southeast corner of the Mutual Beauty Project...https://i2.wp.com/www.buildingsaltlake.com/

The 9+9 Mixed-use Development is actively under construction on the corner of Harvey Milk Blvd (900 South) and Lincoln Street in the heart of the Ninth and Ninth Business District. The project replaces a small surface parking lot and a building that had formerly housed a beauty supply business. A Conditional Building and Site Design Review was originally denied for this project, but the Planning Commission’s denial was overturned on appeal.

The three-story project will have retail and structured parking on the ground level below two floors with 28 apartments.

The Mutual Beauty mixed-use development is just east of the existing commercial buildings on the south side of 900 Street. Photo by Mike Fife.

Green fencing encloses the construction site for the Mutual Beauty mixed-use development on Harvey Milk Blvd (900 South) at Lincoln St. Photo by Mike Fife.

Construction of the parking structure is underway on the Mutual Beauty mixed-use development on Harvey Milk Blvd (900 South) and Lincoln Street. Photo by Mike Fife.

1105 East Development

Project rendering of the 1105 East project courtesy Northstar Builders...https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/in-...-completion/3/

Developers, Northstar Builders, have a new project under construction on the east end of the 9th and 9th Business District on the northeast corner of 1100 East and Harvey Milk Blvd (900 South). The project is a two-story commercial building that will house a law office and a design firm and is less than a block to the east of the another Northstar project, the recently completed two-story commercial building on the northwest corner of McClelland Street and 900 South. The building houses Northstar’s offices on the second floor and the Alamexo Cantina and real estate office on the ground floor.

The northeast corner of the 1105 East project. Photo by Mike Fife.

An earlier Northstar Builders project on the northeast corner of Harvey Milk Blvd (900 South) and McClelland Street, a half block west of the 1105 East project. This building serves as Northstar Builders’ HQ and is also home to a real estate company and restaurant. Photo by Mike Fife.

Downtown Adj./North - 2nd and 2nd Apartments

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/con...ill-townhomes/

Another missing middle project is now underway in the Marmalade/West Capitol Hill neighborhood. Construction will soon start on the 2nd and 2nd Apartments at the northeast corner of the 200 North and 200 West intersection. The project replaces a long-vacant mechanic’s garage that was previously the home of the Car Care Center. Crews demolished the garage earlier this month.

The mixed-use project will have seven residential units and one commercial unit in two buildings. Each building will be three stories with townhome-style residential units...

Rendering of the southeast corner of the 2nd and 2nd Apartments. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents

The former car garage has been demolished to make way for construction of the 2nd and 2nd Apartments as seen from 200 North. Photo by Isaac Riddle.

City Updates - More missing middle coming to Sugar House and East Central

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/mis...-east-central/

A wave of missing middle housing appears to be on its way in Salt Lake City. On Thursday, January 18th, the Salt Lake City Planning Division will feature five different townhome developments in an open house from 5 to 7 p.m. at the City & County Building.

Missing middle housing refers to mid-density housing like duplexes, townhomes, live/work units and courtyard apartments that provide more density than single-family homes but on a smaller scale than mid-rise multifamily developments.

The five projects will add a combined total of 24 homes to the Sugar House and East Central neighborhoods. There are over 170 townhome units currently under construction in the city with another 170 that could start construction this year. About half of the townhome units under construction will be for-sale units while about three-fourths of the planned projects would be for-sale units...

Downington Avenue Townhomes

Developers, Downington Place, want to build three attached townhomes on 0.28 acres at the southeast corner of the 1300 East and Downington Avenue intersection. The homes will be three stories a garage on the ground floor, living space on the second and two bedrooms and a study on the third floor. The homes will be energy efficient with solar panels on the roof.

Rendering of the Downington Avenue Townhomes. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

The Cynthia Townhomes

Developers, CW Urban, plan to build a three-unit townhome project proposed for the 500 South block of 800 East. The Cynthia will replace a single-family home and 0.22 acres and is one the several townhome projects underway by CW Urban. As with their other projects like the Ruby, the townhomes will be three stories with a flex space room and two-car garage on the ground floor, kitchen and living area on the second floor and bedrooms on the third floor with second and third story balconies...

Rendering of the southwest corner of the Cynthia Townhomes. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

The 700 Horizon
North Rock Capital wants to build four attached townhomes on the 2400 South block of 700 East. The townhomes would replace a single-family home on 0.32 acres and will be two stories each. The units will have a kitchen, living room, office, half bath and garage on the ground floor. The bedrooms and a bonus room will be on the second. The middle units will have three bedrooms and two full baths and the end units will have two bedrooms and two baths...

Rendering of the 700 Horizon Townhomes courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

The Mabel
Nineteen blocks up 700 East from the 700 Horizon is the site of proposed Mabel development, a six-unit townhome development proposed for the 300 South block of 700 East. The project is another townhome development by CW Urban and will replace a single-family home and vacant lot on 3.13 acres. As with the Cynthia, the townhomes will be three stories. The end units will have four bedrooms with a bedroom, full bath and two-car garage on the ground floor, living space and kitchen on the second and three bedrooms and two full baths on the third floor...

Rendering of the Mabel Townhomes. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

The Markea
The Markea will consist of two buildings on the two narrow side streets, Markea Avenue between 200 and 300 South, and Court Street between 800 and 900 East. The project is by Resonance Development and will include eight units on a 0.27-acre lot and a 0.14-acre lot. The larger building will front Marke Avenue and will include five, two-story townhomes. The second building will front Court Street and will consist of three, two-story townhomes. Both buildings will have the garage, half-bath, kitchen and living room on the ground floor, bedrooms on the second and loft space above the second floor...

Rendering of the Markea Townhomes. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Update - City Central/East -
Mixed-use project near Liberty Park

Isaac Riddle Reports - Full Article @ https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/cit...-liberty-park/

Wells Mixed-use Development
The proposed mixed-use project replaces two commercial buildings on 0.39 acres and will consist of two, two-story buildings with 12 residential units and 14 commercial units. The developers are requesting front and side yard setbacks to allow the project to build up to the sidewalk level on both 1300 South and 500 East.

The landscaping plans for the Wells Mixed-use Development. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.
Both buildings will be mixed-use and will be separated by two walkways, surface parking and landscaping. The north building will front both 1300 South and 500 East with restaurant space, retail space and four smaller creative workspaces. The second floor will consist of four one-bedroom apartments. Each apartment will have one and one-half baths and a balcony. The building will have a significant amount of glazing on both floors with floor to ceiling windows that will increase the building’s transparency at the street level.

The south building will consist of eight residential and eight commercial units and will front the surface parking lot. Each floor will have four offices and four one-bedroom apartments on each floor. Each second-floor unit will have a balcony. The offices will front 500 East. Additionally, the south building will have a rooftop deck...

Rendering of the northeast corner of the Wells Mixed-use Development as designed by DEIV Architecture and Design. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

Rendering of the northwest corner of the Wells Mixed-use Development as designed by DEIV Architecture and Design. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West