HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Now, you're moving the goalposts. You literally made the sweeping generalization that "parks are cynical when people try to design with that in mind. There shouldn’t be a gate at all so that people walking by can naturally wander in and out of the area, or even encourage people to detour through it on their way somewhere else." And I pointed out that you're wrong, as evidenced in the photos I posted.
Jesus. It’s SUPPOSED to be taken as a generalization. Because I didn’t think I needed to caveat my posts with “NOT ALL GATES.” I assume readers have the sensibility to get the gist of what I’m saying. Also, the main generalization I’m making is the wrong approach of designing around the homeless population. And yeah, this park shouldn't be gated. It’s not a question of annoyance. It’s a question of good design to encourage use and a sense of community.

Last edited by ocman; May 10, 2018 at 4:56 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
This is awesome...can't wait to see the renderings.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
This is awesome...can't wait to see the renderings.
Just raze the whole lot and build an extra 100 floors to make it 141 floors 😬😬😬 a new WTC and tallest tower with a connection to the subway station

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
Just raze the whole lot and build an extra 100 floors to make it 141 floors 😬😬😬 a new WTC and tallest tower with a connection to the subway station
My thoughts exactly. This site has potential for the next tallest building west of the Mississippi hence LA's WTC. Too bad it's only 41 stories, but I'm glad this side of Downtown is getting recognition. They just need to raze the lots around 1st and 4th and Fig and Flower.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 6:23 AM

My fear with the WTC site is that....Its one pretty good sized block.....All we're hearing is plans for one tower... For a block that can easily fit 4.......So.....is it

1. Going the route of typical bunker hill with a tower in the center and a plaza surrounding it or

2. A tower in the center sitting on a podium or

3. a tower on a random corner with the rest of the block being a massive Sh**box? or

4. A tower on a corner with the rest of the block up for build later down the line in phases?

I think the only option I would be happy with is option 4. This section of downtown needs a serious IV pumped with new blood (AKA) residents/businesses and a better walking environment since we all know that area is just a jumbo mishmash of one way highways and onramps. Palmers faux Disney inspirations did little to help that quadrant of the downtown loop.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 9:45 PM

Has anyone seen this latest spot from Audi?

Futuristic city in the background is clearly LA, with many proposed and rumored projects showcased (i.e. Angels Landing, Hyperloop, etc.)

If the skyline looks even 20% this robust in the next several decades I will be THRILLED.

Hope influential city officials like Garcetti have seen this. Really inspiring stuff on how much potential DTLA has.

Link: https://youtu.be/O2B7U3WO9oA

Last edited by jprovost2020; May 10, 2018 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 9:55 PM

Excited about the WTC tower. I have always thought that particular spot in the skyline was odd when viewed from the west (Griffith) CBRE is just too short and wide. Hopefully if this is built, it will be tall enough to make the skyline 'flow' a little more but not tall enough to create that dreaded 'table top' effect with the other buildings on Bunker Hill. Would have been nice to get rid of that hideous AT&T switching tower, though.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovost2020 View Post

Futuristic city in the background is clearly LA, with many proposed and rumored projects showcased (i.e. Angels Landing, Hyperloop, etc.)

If the skyline looks even 20% this robust in the next several decades I will be THRILLED.

Hope influential city officials like Garcetti have seen this. Really inspiring stuff on how much potential DTLA has.

Wow! That’s hella cool!

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:

If the skyline looks like this and there is still cars zipping every where on 8 lane blvds, the City will just be a more expanded Bunker Hill.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:04 AM
:o

Quote:

An altered version of the LA skyline was also in a recent episode of Westworld, which was pretty cool to see.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 6:16 AM

I think its doable in a decade or two. I'm actually willing to bet we'll all be surprised within the next two decades. Not just downtown, but Century City, Hollywood, the Wilshire Corridor and even Long Beach.

I also think we'll see the start of new "city centers" starting to spring up. Glendale getting there. Maybe Burbank. Maybe Warner Center. But for sure in Orange County. Maybe the platinum Triangle area in Anaheim or the area around the Irvine spectrum where the OC current tallest is.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Spring Arcade is crying out to become a 24/7 all-hours environment.
whether longer hours or not, I hope it does well. The tragedy that the bldg's corridor became for yrs is one of the major lessons in what happens to a place when it's never strong enough to begin with, & then goes downhill that much more easily & quickly.

the space this business occupies was one of the swapmeet horrors of dtla not too many yrs ago.....

Video Link

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 7:29 AM

Can we get a photo update on the projects in downtown, pretty please?

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:17 PM
Desert Dweller

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:

The driveway where he got picked up from is the CAA building in Century City. If you freeze the video, you can see Fox Plaza in the back across the street.

The only issue I can take with the video is the free flowing traffic... that's pure fantasyland stuff. But the skyline looks pretty good, and so is the LA River.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
The driveway where he got picked up from is the CAA building in Century City. If you freeze the video, you can see Fox Plaza in the back across the street.

The only issue I can take with the video is the free flowing traffic... that's pure fantasyland stuff. But the skyline looks pretty good, and so is the LA River.
They included Michael Maltzan’s bridge over the LA River. Really impressive. Someone is a DTLA follower it seems.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 7:11 AM

Oceanwide is starting the loopy part!! 😍😍😍

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 4:53 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
whether longer hours or not, I hope it does well. The tragedy that the bldg's corridor became for yrs is one of the major lessons in what happens to a place when it's never strong enough to begin with, & then goes downhill that much more easily & quickly.

the space this business occupies was one of the swapmeet horrors of dtla not too many yrs ago.....

Video Link
Very cool! I will check it out. I am really rooting for Spring Arcade to work out. It is treasures like this that make Downtown interesting and compelling.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 8:18 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

In a much-needed celebration of good design, Hanson LA-designed 1800 E. 7th Street was approved earlier this week.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 8:26 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Excellent. Let's hope that breaks ground soon. We need more of this.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations