Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
We can just call it "the Amazon"...
There's even a river there ...
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 10:46 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
I'm wondering how the current Chicago mayoral will impact Amazon's approach to the city. It appears to me that most of those running have no clue how to fix anything other than kick the can further down the road. With Rahm gone I put our chances at a big ole fucking goose egg...

Who knows who they'll pick, but it isn't our shitshow of a city. If we were stable I'd say we'd be the frontrunner, but we are on the verge of complete collapse
Realistically, what happens if they're is a "complete collapse"? Detroit is still Detroit. Businesses have still been moving into their downtown. I'm a long way from a Detroit booster, but realistically, what would even the worst likely case do to hurt businesses?
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 11:17 PM

Here is a decent article that uses relative layman's terminology to explain what could, might and has happened in the past with municipal bankruptcies.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/eco...kruptcy-1.aspx

A couple other related pieces:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trulia/...should-i-flee/

https://www.npr.org/2012/07/11/15662...res-bankruptcy

The most important problem is a city losing its ability to borrow in the same capacity as it once had. Second to that(in my opinion) is losing city services or having them cut to third world levels. Basically, this would be the very reason Amazon wouldn't commit, as they wouldn't want to attempt to convince people to move into a city that had a long road to recovery, potentially even higher taxes, and horrible services.

This is all hypothetical though as every city is different and each bankruptcy negotiation has its own variables, nuances, and intricacies that can't be explained on a simple post. People write their dissertations on this kind of stuff! Finally something about the Amazon proposal I can discuss

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 4:11 PM

One of the op-eds published in Crains a little after Rahm announced he wasn't seeking re-election convinced me that it'll still be alright. As long as city hall supports it and also supports growth in tech business and education. One of their points in it was also that Rahm is not the entire delegation trying to bring HQ2 to Chicago. There are many other people involved who aren't going anywhere anytime soon - many in high positions of business and others in government type of positions that may not go anywhere even with a change of the guard. And of course, any company that is going to puts its roots down for so long is going to have to withstand many different mayors over decades. Amazon will be there for whichever city after a handful of different mayors.

We'll see though..I think he's a factor, but not the end of the world, but that depends on how business friendly the next mayor is IMO.

Last edited by marothisu; Oct 21, 2018 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 1:33 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

If Amazon does choose Chicago, I wonder who they prefer between Rauner and Pritzker. If they announce before the election, it could help Rauner.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZilla View Post

Personally, I have no clue what they might choose, because as you all point out, it seems like logic would not have Maryland, NoVA or DC in the top 20, but here we are with them being the clear front runners according to the media and betting sites. I hope they are wrong, but I guess I'll just keep being patient since I have no idea what might happen.
The DC area is filled with government contractors. And the government is a sizable part of Amazon's business. To work with various departments, Amazon may see value to having more workers close by. I don't know that it would drive a 50K person location decision, but I could see value that goes beyond the lobbyist presence often mentioned.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
The DC area is filled with government contractors. And the government is a sizable part of Amazon's business. To work with various departments, Amazon may see value to having more workers close by. I don't know that it would drive a 50K person location decision, but I could see value that goes beyond the lobbyist presence often mentioned.
There are many companies that do a lot of government business. They have offices, sizable, in DC but you don't see them moving a huge part of their operations there because of it. It will really depend on what HQ2 is going to house at the end of the day. I don't see this being a big factor, but you never know.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
There's even a river there ...

They could call it "The Jungle". That wouldn't be too on the nose about the Amazon name and give a nod to some Chicago literary history - although maybe not the nod Amazon wants..

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 8:03 PM

I'm craving more unfounded speculation on Amazon. I want that thread re-opened!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 11:30 PM

I'll still post sizable VC news. Led by August Capital btw who is in Silicon Valley just to show what I was talking about before about an uptick in funding coming from the coasts.

ShopRunner announces $30M in funding and a new River North HQ

Quote:
Chicago’s e-commerce ecosystem just got another boost.

ShopRunner, a Chicago-based e-commerce company, announced on Monday that it has raised $30 million in new funding. The company will use the funding to invest in product development, data science and to fuel continued growth.

Yagan, who co-founded OkCupid and SparkNotes, took over as ShopRunner’s CEO in 2016 and has since moved the company’s headquarters to Chicago and grown it into a major player in the local tech scene. Today, the company has around 140 employees, including 90 in Chicago, according to Crain’s.

Along with the funding, the ShopRunner also announced it is moving to a new, larger, headquarters in River North to accommodate its growing team.
According to the Crains article from April 2017 when they relocated their Silicon Valley office to Chicago there were a few dozen people then. Today it's 90, so it's +65 in the last 1.5 years in Chicago and with this funding I'm sure they'll hire some more, especially to make more use of their new HQ which accommodates their growth.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natoma View Post
They could call it "The Jungle". That wouldn't be too on the nose about the Amazon name and give a nod to some Chicago literary history - although maybe not the nod Amazon wants..
Yeah but that treads on the historical Hamlet of June way Jungle IMO...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 5:28 AM

There were 136 expressions of interest for the new Economic Research Service (ERS) and National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) headquarters. The USDA will select a location by January 2019.

https://www.usda.gov/media/press-rel...sting-ers-nifa

Locations in Illinois, Maryland, and Virginia submitted the most expressions of interest. For Illinois, the following locations make the most sense for the new headquarters: Champaign, Quad Cites, and Peoria. Other Illinois locations that expressed interest are listed below.

Algonquin
Greater Peoria
Warrenville
Schaumburg
DuPage County
Kane County
Decatur
Orland Park
Huntley
Des Plaines
Barrington

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 2:42 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Champaign makes a lot of sense. I wish Amtrak would have more Chicago to Champaign runs though.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 7:04 PM

Because HQ2 speculation is either catnip or catatonia to us:

Three Experts Make Their Case for Where Amazon's New Headquarters Will Go [Forbes]

For the TL;DR crowd, the three experts, in order:

1. Oatlands, VA
2. Chicago, IL
3. Dallas, TX

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Because HQ2 speculation is either catnip or catatonia to us:

Three Experts Make Their Case for Where Amazon's New Headquarters Will Go [Forbes]

For the TL;DR crowd, the three experts, in order:

1. Oatlands, VA
2. Chicago, IL
3. Dallas, TX
If O'Hare was located in Aurora, then Amazon locating in Oatlands would make about as much sense as Amazon locating in Plano. In other words, it's not happening.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:25 PM

How did Aurora get involved?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 10:41 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLoop View Post
If O'Hare was located in Aurora, then Amazon locating in Oatlands would make about as much sense as Amazon locating in Plano. In other words, it's not happening.
To be clear, you mean Plano IL, not TX?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 10:42 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I think he or she means that Dulles is on the outskirts of the Metro area, which would be the equivalent of being in Aurora for Chicago.

Last edited by SIGSEGV; Oct 25, 2018 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Because the distance of Oatlands to Washington DC is basically equidistant to the distance between Aurora to Chicago. I agree, that would be a dumb location that makes almost literally no sense. If you're going to pick the DC area, at least pick something semi urban already and close to many modes of public transit (i.e. Crystal City).

----

Software company plans hiring spree at bigger Pru Plaza office

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...u-plaza-office

Quote:
A fast-growing software maker is expanding its footprint in the East Loop and planning a hiring run on local tech talent.

Sphera Solutions, which develops risk management software used by thousands of large companies to monitor their impact on the environment and public safety, leased the 29th floor at One Prudential Plaza for its global headquarters and aims to house 150 employees there by the end of next year, said Sphera President and CEO Paul Marushka.

The company's current 60 employees work today on the 19th floor of One Pru Plaza, 130 E. Randolph St., where Sphera opened in 2016.

Now it is redoubling its local focus and mining the city's trove of young—and more affordable than the West Coast—tech talent, Marushka said, targeting dozens of developers as it transitions to offering cloud-based software.
So they hired 60 people within a few years of opening and now they want to hire another 90 by the end of next year. Not bad.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 12:41 AM
BANNED

https://www.builtinchicago.org/2018/...fice-expansion

Can’t stop, won’t stop: Google just leased over 100,000 square feet of additional office space

by Michael Hines
October 25, 2018

Earlier this year, Crain’s reported that Google was considering Chicago for the location of a new operations center that could hold between 1,000 and 5,000 people. This summer, the Chicago Tribune reported that Google would add an additional 100,000 square feet of space near its current office in the Fulton Market district.

Google told the Chicago Tribune that its employees would move into the first six floors of the building next fall. The company’s current Fulton Market space, which serves as the company’s Midwest headquarters, measures 372,000 square feet.

“What started out as a small sales office has now grown to house some of Google’s most critical teams with roughly over 1,000 employees working across product, engineering, technical infrastructure, advertising and more,” VP and Chicago office head Karen Sauder told the Tribune. “Chicago is considered an innovation hub for the greater Midwest and attracts incredible talent from across all industries.”

Chicago is considered an innovation hub for the greater Midwest and attracts incredible talent from across all industries.”
….

It’s getting a bit hard to keep track of all the big-name tech companies expanding in Chicago. Salesforce was most recently in the spotlight when word broke of its plans to open a 500,000-square-foot office that could accommodate up to 5,000 new employees. A month before that, Facebook was in the news for leasing 263,000 square feet of space in the Loop. Apple is also said to be looking at Chicago for its new campus.
Oh, and don’t forget about Amazon’ HQ2. Chicago is one of 20 cities on the company’s shortlist.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest