HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

River Point in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 3:17 AM

Wow, that Riverside plaza building is awesome! And it'll work really well with 333 Wacker right across the river...

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 3:53 AM
The City

If what we're hearing about the demand for class A office space downtown is true, then there's some hope here.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:33 AM
~

sleek building. The form reminds me of those 4-sided boxes (ones whose ends fold in).

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:50 AM
Registered

It looks ok... conceptually a lot stronger than the actual execution. I'm with the others that the height just isn't enough to "cap" the vista as it should be... add another 20 or so stories, and I'd be a lot happier as far as the urban design.

Another big concern is that the curvature looks much less pronounced when you look at the real model as opposed to the render.

The park plan looks awesome and I love the integration of public amenities into the skyscraper's base. That's how all of these riverfront buildings (and all major buildings, IMO) should be built: If Chicago really is a skyscraper city, we need to activate these buildings as a part of the city beyond just some retail or public plaza. Let the public benefit from the building.

There is a lovely little Prairie School, train-related building there that I had hoped would somehow survive this project, but it would be worth the sacrifice for the great public plaza they are planning. I think that is my favorite part of this proposal at the moment. Much more exciting than 300 LaSalle.

By the way, if you use 300 LaSalle's floor-to-floor height as a benchmark (I am using 57 floors because I still doubt it's really 60 stories), then you get 687' for this one.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 6:31 AM
TL;DR

The only significant structure on the site:

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 6:50 AM
Registered

^ Yep, that's the one. Thanks for the pic.

How cool would it be to preserve / reuse this as the office of the boat house? It would add some "historic continuity" to the project too.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 7:07 AM

:

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1 View Post
The form reminds me of those 4-sided boxes (ones whose ends fold in).
Yeah; like a McDonald's hot apple pie carton.

I like it though!

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I'm sure others on this forum already know about the Hines/Levy project along the river. Well, I assume it's now safe to talk about this curving tower because the architect's (Pickard Chilton) website now features info on 200 North Riverside - 50 floors

200 North Riverside Plaza is a fifty story, 1.2 million gross square foot project comprising office, retail, restaurants, a boat house and public spaces; a 1.5 acre public plaza; and three levels of below-grade parking. Located on a triangular site bordered by West Lake Street, Canal Street and the broad confluence of the branching North and South Chicago Rivers, 200 North Riverside enhances the character of this prominent river frontage while concealing the existing railroad tracks below. It is Pickard Chilton’s second major project in Chicago for Hines.

The tower’s unique sculptural form creates a striking silhouette from multiple vantage points throughout the city and responds to the wonderful qualities of its important waterfront site. The tower’s sweeping curves capture natural light within the building as well as provide panoramic views outward. A sky terrace perched six hundred feet above the river accentuates the distinct image of the tower’s crown and offers dramatic views of the river, the Loop and Lake Michigan on the horizon.

The riverfront plaza, a welcome public amenity for the West Loop neighborhood, is designed to reshape the urban fabric by creating a lively civic space that encourages pedestrian activity along the waterfront. The open public plaza cascades down to the river walk and the water’s edge through a series of landscaped terraces, water features, seating areas, and arcing pathways. The space enjoys abundant sunlight throughout the day and provides a pleasant respite along on the course of the river.

The public boat house, operated by the Park District of the City of Chicago, accommodates kayaks, canoes, and crew boats. The boat house also provides boat storage, locker rooms, a multipurpose gathering space, staff offices and an elevated, covered observation terrace. The building’s streamlined, sweeping roof design draws its inspiration from the highly refined form of competition oar blades.

As a Class-A office building, 200 North Riverside’s state-of-the-art design will serve as the headquarters for major international corporations. The grand and welcoming lobby features a sixty five foot high expanse of glass that acts as a proscenium arch framing views of the plaza, the river and cityscape beyond. Located above the lobby is a 50,000 square foot double-height conference center with a crescent-shaped exterior terrace that overlooks the river. The tower’s floor plates are configured to accommodate flexibility and efficiency in interior planning. The building’s richly articulated glass and silver metallic curtain wall, a key component in achieving a LEED Silver pre-certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, will minimize solar heat gain, maximize interior day lighting and enable expansive views.

Vert nice. I'm almost impressed, but for that location, it's way too short. They need to throw another 30 floors on top of it. As I said before, that location on the river is too prominent for bullshit. I'm going to send an email to Hines as weel as Picard/Chilton. We need to inform these guys what would be the smarter move.

How much you want to bet that people in Riverbend are going to complain?

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 12:19 PM
Content provider

that 200 n riverside would replace mostly a surface lot, some of which is actually gravel. Green line goes right by it, of course. Rail would run just behind

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 1:19 PM
(the rascacielo freak)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Vert nice. I'm almost impressed, but for that location, it's way too short.
I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!

This particular spot, and the spot where One Museum Park is going up both deserve (deserved?) enormous supertall skyscrapers. There's no going back on One Museum Park, and I'm still very happy with it, but I still wish it could have been a 100+ floor building. 200 N. Riverside also seems like a very good spot to build a supertall. I'm well aware that the market dictates this, but developers can misjudge the market at times.

DESIGN 200 N. RIVERSIDE TALLER!!!

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
How much you want to bet that people in Riverbend are going to complain?
They won't be able to see it, except from their hallways.

Quote:
The public boat house, operated by the Park District of the City of Chicago, accommodates kayaks, canoes, and crew boats. The boat house also provides boat storage, locker rooms, a multipurpose gathering space, staff offices and an elevated, covered observation terrace. The building’s streamlined, sweeping roof design draws its inspiration from the highly refined form of competition oar blades.
This is something I'm really excited about. I have been researching inflatable kayaks as a solution to wanting to put in at that spot (since I live a few blocks away). I guess by 2010ish there will be an actual dock for the cheaper hard-shell kayaks!

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 1:43 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

200 N Riverside looks very sleek- like the love child of the new Hyatt HQ & Canyon Ranch; also a visual tie-in with 333 W Wacker just across the river, via the convex facade. Pickard Chilton really does seem to know how to work in all of those nice little flourishes that make a good building really good, so we should all be able to rest easy about the finished product. Now if only it were a few hundred feet taller...

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 1:44 PM

This is my guess for the site plan for 200 N Riverside:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...28083805e7fba5

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 1:45 PM

200 N. Riverside looks great.Its good to see such a creative terrace
design.Its reminds me of the Chicago Spire up to around the 8th
floor in that it looks fragile.Very nice design,but it should be taller.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 2:32 PM

That is the exact design for 200 north riverside that i saw last fall!!!

I think one of the things working against the height of that building is that (if i remember correctly) hines is currently building this on spec. If they get a major anchor tenant, i wonder if they would be willing to increase the height of the building. Then again, perhaps the financial aspect of adding another 100-150 on top of it could be prohibitive. But maybe El Presidente Daley will ask for more height, he's no fool and knows how important this parcel is. Also, i don't think the nimby west loopers will have the slightest shot at blocking/modifying this project. The inclusion of this parcel in the lasalle street tif was clearly intentional, and really i think the west loopers are more concerned with ruining every proposal west of halstead.

But then again, this parcel is actually part of the LaSalle street tif. Much of the reason why hines is providing the boat house, im sure. Either way, this building's design is quite sleek. I think it also speaks well for the downtown office market. Hines would not have introduced this project if leasing levels were not good at 300 North Lasalle. They wouldn't want two of their towers competing against each other.

Two other minor things of interest:
Crains has started a real estate web site:
http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/

And (i know this is a different forum) but looptopia was awesome. I overheard a lot of tourists exclaiming how incredible the city is looking (lots of block 37 discussion) so, ROCK ON CHICAGO!

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:03 PM

200 N. Riverside is hot as hell, but too damn short. Promising design, excellent river edge treatment and I love, love, love the Park District boathouse. The plan is almost a home run, adding 200+ feet to cap the view corridor would knock it out of the park.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitEngr View Post

This particular spot, and the spot where One Museum Park is going up both deserve (deserved?) enormous supertall skyscrapers. There's no going back on One Museum Park, and I'm still very happy with it, but I still wish it could have been a 100+ floor building.
Don't give up hope yet, the Roosevelt-Indiana-Michigan parcel is undergoing new design concepts, and the end result I suspect will please many. 100+ floors would surley kick ass, but I don't think we will be quite that lucky. But hey, just 5 years ago no one expected anything 500+ feet South of Congress.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:52 PM

200N Riverside looks great, especially the lower floors and public riverside amenities (wonder how much those boat slips will run for?).

I think we just have to wait and see how leasing goes after they take it to market; not out of the question that they could go higher, but obviously we have to accept that the people at Hines have crunched the numbers and determined the appropriate height based risk from the leasing market and potential ROI. If the market for their building is hot hot hot, that equation changes and they'll smell a higher ROI by building taller. Heightwise, I think it would be great to be bumped up about 50-150ft, to bring it to a comparable level as nearby 300N LaSalle but of a different form.

But even if they don't, I'd be delighted and satisfied to see this project built as-is rather that nothing at all.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 5:45 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

My sentiments exactly Viva. I would love for them to add height but more important to me is the design. 333 Wacker is in a prime location and would look great a few hundred feet higher but I wouldn't want to risk tearing it down now for what "might" go there. I am guessing this is a challenging site engineering wise and hopefully they can be conerced into raising the height but I don't want the base or plaza compromised because I think they have hit a home run in that regard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive