HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I have relatives who live in the Toronto CMA (though not in the 416) and who probably go to some of these country music shows. Obviously there is a huge population outside the Toronto CMA as well, and there isn't anywhere in those areas where someone like Garth Brooks for example can play. So they play in Toronto and people come to the show from all over southern Ontario, and maybe even WNY.
Garth Brooks actually did 5 shows in a row at First Ontario Centre.

https://www.thespec.com/whatson-stor...rooks-times-5/

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 6:47 PM
ハルウララ

CFL have scheduled a Montreal/Toronto game for Atlantic Canada in August, 2019. Location TBD, will be one of Moncton, Halifax, or Antigonish.

It's a Toronto home game being moved from BMO.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 9:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If country is pretty low profile in Toronto, I figured it was nearly nonexistent in Montreal. Is there even a country station there?

But that said, I do see Thomas Rhett is coming to the Bell Centre on April 24. So the country scene can't be that bad there
You're right that country scene is pretty discreet in Montreal. AFAIK there are no country stations on the island (perhaps none in the entire province of Quebec even). I believe the community radio station on the Kahnawake Mohawk reserve on the south shore has or had a country format for at least some of its programming. I believe it's a fairly low-power transmitter. You may also be able to tune in country stations from the U.S. side of the border from some parts of the metro.

None of these make any type of dent in the ratings, so I don't believe there is a significant market there that is simply going untapped.

As for shows, well I explained a bit earlier why some shows do come to Montreal.

There might also be the fact that the country fans that do exist are not spoiled like they are in some other cities, so when a show comes to town, (most) everyone goes. I believe SignalHillHiker once said this about St. John's, where the concert lineup is limited in terms of big international stars, so when they do come to town, *everyone* (so to speak) goes.

I mean, Garth Brooks plays multiple nights in Paris and Tokyo, does he not?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 9:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
You're right that country scene is pretty discreet in Montreal. AFAIK there are no country stations on the island (perhaps none in the entire province of Quebec even). I believe the community radio station on the Kahnawake Mohawk reserve on the south shore has or had a country format for at least some of its programming. I believe it's a fairly low-power transmitter. You may also be able to tune in country stations from the U.S. side of the border from some parts of the metro.

None of these make any type of dent in the ratings, so I don't believe there is a significant market there that is simply going untapped.

As for shows, well I explained a bit earlier why some shows do come to Montreal.

There might also be the fact that the country fans that do exist are not spoiled like they are in some other cities, so when a show comes to town, (most) everyone goes. I believe SignalHillHiker once said this about St. John's, where the concert lineup is limited in terms of big international stars, so when they do come to town, *everyone* (so to speak) goes.

I mean, Garth Brooks plays multiple nights in Paris and Tokyo, does he not?
Just thinking too... Maritimers will sometimes come to Montreal for shows that don't play in their region. They're quite used to travelling for shows, pro sports, etc. They go to Toronto too, and even Ottawa sometimes, but Montreal is for most the most easily accessible city that's a major tour stop. Obviously they make a little trip out of it.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 11:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
CFL have scheduled a Montreal/Toronto game for Atlantic Canada in August, 2019. Location TBD, will be one of Moncton, Halifax, or Antigonish.
According to CTV News, there are three potential host communities for the 2019 CFL Touchdown Atlantic game.

1) - Halifax (SMU)
2) - Moncton (UdeM)
3) - Antigonish (SFX)

Moncton is the perceived frontrunner (according to CTV)

1) - Experience (previous three iterations of Touchdown Atlantic)
2) - Location (central in the Maritimes)
3) - Stadium size (10,000 expandable to about 21,000)
4) - Potential to "test the waters" regarding the possibility of the Schooners playing a season (or two) in Moncton while the Halifax stadium gets built.

Quote:
It's a Toronto home game being moved from BMO.
Well, if played in Moncton, they can probably be assured of a crowd of about 20,000 (more than they would get at BMO)..........

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 12:09 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Ottawa's arena deal is officially dead. The owner (Melnyk) had legitimate concerns over his partner's development (900 Albert) across the tracks, but instead of taking the final 2 months to negotiate, he filed a $700 million lawsuit for the "failed arena bid" before it officially failed. Earlier this week , his partner counter-sued for $1 billion for "unrealistic expectations", Melnyk then tried to make a deal hours later. Yesterday the NCC (Feds) decided "enough with the gong show, we're pulling the plug".

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...eton-1.4953160
Well that's depressing.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 1:07 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
They're country, although Luke Bryan is undeniably very pop-oriented...he has a different style than someone like Keith Urban, but they're in a similar category of very pop-flavoured country.

I googled it and Luke Bryan drew over 40,000 fans to his show, which is kind of surprising to me. I kind of figured Toronto was a country music wasteland. I'm assuming many of those fans came in from surrounding areas.
At least in Vancouver, country is very much one of those things that's huge, but under the radar. No one ever talks about Luke Bryan but when he comes to town my social media is full of people bragging about being at his show.

The local country station does quite well from what I understand too, as do country bars or nights at clubs.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 1:34 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I googled it and Luke Bryan drew over 40,000 fans to his show, which is kind of surprising to me. I kind of figured Toronto was a country music wasteland. I'm assuming many of those fans came in from surrounding areas.
Last time I was at Exhibition there was a sold out country show at Budweiser Stage. Seemed like a lot of the attendees were university students...they certainly weren't driving into town in their pickup trucks, that's for sure.

Also, it's good to know a lot of people in this thread are dating themselves by not knowing who Ed Sheeran is.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 1:35 PM

Not to mention the 3 day country festival (Boots and Hearts) up in Barrie that gets 50,000 people annually

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
At least in Vancouver, country is very much one of those things that's huge, but under the radar. No one ever talks about Luke Bryan but when he comes to town my social media is full of people bragging about being at his show.

The local country station does quite well from what I understand too, as do country bars or nights at clubs.
I'm not surprised to hear that. Vancouver has (or had, at least) what I'd call a real Country music station, JR-FM. Whereas in Toronto, I can't remember the name of the big FM country music station there, but I recall it seemed more like a blend of country and soft pop music (you know, the type played on the somewhat bland radio stations favoured by dental office waiting rooms across Canada...).

To me, this speaks to the idea that Vancouver has a sizable country fanbase while Toronto's is a bit more limited. Which makes sense, given that you'd assume "country" music has less appeal in a huge city.

Interestingly, this reminds me of a conversation I once had with a Bell MTS Place security guy... he told me that country shows are the biggest headache from a security standpoint because they tend to involve the most drinking and misbehaviour.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Also, it's good to know a lot of people in this thread are dating themselves by not knowing who Ed Sheeran is.
I am (allegedly) one of the old guys on here and I definitely know Ed Sheeran. I can probably hum along to a half dozen songs of his. But I have teenagers...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post

I am not aware of any country bars in Montreal (did a search too) but there is probably the odd bar here and there that does a country night from time to time.

I am sure there are bars in smaller towns in Quebec that are country-themed or at least could pass for country bars even if not advertised as such.

There used to be a bar called Le Bar de l'Ouest in Gatineau many years ago. I never went there so I can't be sure but the name sure fits the bill. IIRC there were horse and cow statues out front.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 2:48 PM

Quote:
I am not aware of any country bars in Montreal (did a search too) but there is probably the odd bar here and there that does a country night from time to time.

I am sure there are bars in smaller towns in Quebec that are country-themed or at least could pass for country bars even if not advertised as such.

There used to be a bar called Le Bar de l'Ouest in Gatineau many years ago. I never went there so I can't be sure but the name sure fits the bill. IIRC there were horse and cow statues out front.
One of the few French stations on SiriusXM is Franco Country, so there has to be at least some kind of critical mass of country lovers in Quebec?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 3:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
One of the few French stations on SiriusXM is Franco Country, so there has to be at least some kind of critical mass of country lovers in Quebec?
Oh, it's definitely there, but it's usually in the shadows. I guess SiriusXM maybe wanted to tap into a need that's not been met by OTA radio stations here.

During the last Quebec music awards (ADISQ) there was a fairly vocal stand taken by a few people that the music industry only had ears for stuff that lefties and urbanites like, and denied Quebec country music its rightful place.

Think this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCrGlylEKCo

Versus this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xevZiB6Mua4

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 3:01 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
There's an annual, multi-day Country festival that takes place in Gatineau each year (has been running for several years now). Most of the artists are Francophone, so I imagine that reflects some level of country music fandom in the province. It's not in any stadium though, but I'll mention "stadium" to keep this in theme with this thread.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 3:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
There's an annual, multi-day Country festival that takes place in Gatineau each year (has been running for several years now). Most of the artists are Francophone, so I imagine that reflects some level of country music fandom in the province. It's not in any stadium though, but I'll mention "stadium" to keep this in theme with this thread.

Just thinking, the winner of La Voix (Quebec's version of The Voice) from a few years ago was a country singer from the northern part of the Outaouais: Yoan Garneau.

That totally pissed off my kids, who said all the aunties and grannies voted for him because he's handsome.

But the voice on that kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0W8VL9DeI4

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 3:35 PM

Side note, TD Place Stadium also had Guns n' Roses in 2017.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not surprised to hear that. Vancouver has (or had, at least) what I'd call a real Country music station, JR-FM. Whereas in Toronto, I can't remember the name of the big FM country music station there, but I recall it seemed more like a blend of country and soft pop music (you know, the type played on the somewhat bland radio stations favoured by dental office waiting rooms across Canada...).

To me, this speaks to the idea that Vancouver has a sizable country fanbase while Toronto's is a bit more limited. Which makes sense, given that you'd assume "country" music has less appeal in a huge city.

Interestingly, this reminds me of a conversation I once had with a Bell MTS Place security guy... he told me that country shows are the biggest headache from a security standpoint because they tend to involve the most drinking and misbehaviour.
It's probably because you have to be drunk to enjoy that type of music.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 8:25 PM

Country has a pretty good following in Southern Ontario. Boots and Hearts music festival attracts over 50K people every year. FOC in Hamilton seems to be a hot spot for country artists getting 15K plus.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 8:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Country has a pretty good following in Southern Ontario. Boots and Hearts music festival attracts over 50K people every year. FOC in Hamilton seems to be a hot spot for country artists getting 15K plus.
That makes a lot of sense. Still pretty centrally located in the region but easier to get to than DT Toronto for a mostly "driving" audience, fewer parking and traffic hassles.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada