HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 9:57 AM

Excellent updates asies.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post
HLC approved three missing middle projects last week. One is mixed-use (with actual ground floor retail) and includes a rehab of a historic duplex.
Yes, thanks for the as always great updates! A lot of good projects, and always enthusiastic about so many of the missing middle projects going on around town. Just one concern, and that would be not so sure about this design on S. Temple. The scale is fine, which I'm sure was paramount in the HLC's minds. But the design treatment is a big thumbs down. Not a big fan of some of the buildings on that specific street. Some of the contemporary designs on S. Temple are acceptable, passable or even quite attractive, because they have a definite note of high quality and sophistication, such as Governor's Plaza or the former IBM building. But a number are too faux and cheap looking for that street. To me, this one below is crossing that mediocre, unimaginative cheap line. I'm sure it's not the architectural firms fault. Probably the developer/lot owner is looking to cash in as easily as possible. This just won't look that good new, and it certainly won't age well when compared to its historic neighbors. This design below would be barely passable on a number of streets in Central Ninth. I wish they would treat S. Temple with a little more respect when it comes to the elemental treatment of some of these newer projects. I often agree with the city's focus on the scale of certain neighborhood projects. However, sometimes it seems as if that's their one and only fixation. Ugh, I mean look at that balcony treatment, among other problems.

I'm holding my breath and keeping my fingers crossed on the big Trolley Sq. apartment project. Hoping for something like those original renderings(Remember those, that was something to be enthusiastic about). Heaven forbid a cheap looking faux replica..

Rendering of the proposed 1117 E. South Temple apartments as designed by SH Architecture. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents. HLC approved three missing middle projects last week.

It doesn't have to be as elaborate at the front as this Tudor front below, but even just mimicking much of it's neighbor to the right would be a big improvement.

Below, an example of a Tudor balcony. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't have to be a Tudor design. There are any number of designs that would work much better at that scale for S. Temple. Even much of what is approved these days for Park City would be a much better fit.

Last edited by delts145; Dec 13, 2017 at 2:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Hey EPDesign,
Can you please rotate your images? It's a little difficult looking at them sideways. Ya know what I mean? Thanks for posing them, though!
Interesting. On my phone, which is how I view the site, they are up right. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Perhaps I’ll switch the image url provider.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Where is the building in the first picture you posted EP?
That is 200 s and 200 w.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 11:40 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Hanson Service on 200 W and 200 N was demolished today.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:08 AM

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 8:05 PM

Update on the Marriott Towne Place being built next to the Holiday Inn Express.
Taken yesterday from the roof of the HIE.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 11:51 PM

I was chatting with a guy at a party recently, who works in the concrete form industry. He said there is an estimated 1.5 billion dollars worth in concrete work scheduled for next year. I'm not sure if he meant downtown or a larger region, but he went on to talk about the airport and how it's not part of that estimate (after thinking about it, I'm really not sure what he meant, but he was excited about how much work they are getting). He said Reagent and two other towers are supposed to start in 2018, but doesn't know specifics. On big projects they have to contact everyone they plan on subcontracting with, to make sure material, labor, etc will be available, but there won't necessarily be a contract in place until the projects move beyond that point in development. So yeah, they are anticipating supplying their product to 3 separate tower projects downtown this coming year. We know all to well how things can get delayed, but there seems to be a lot of momentum going.
Anyway, I realize this is nebulous and nothing we didn't already know, but it was cool to get some insider-ish info and thought it was worth sharing.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Yes, thanks for the as always great updates! A lot of good projects, and always enthusiastic about so many of the missing middle projects going on around town. Just one concern, and that would be not so sure about this design on S. Temple. The scale is fine, which I'm sure was paramount in the HLC's minds. But the design treatment is a big thumbs down. Not a big fan of some of the buildings on that specific street. Some of the contemporary designs on S. Temple are acceptable, passable or even quite attractive, because they have a definite note of high quality and sophistication, such as Governor's Plaza or the former IBM building. But a number are too faux and cheap looking for that street. To me, this one below is crossing that mediocre, unimaginative cheap line. I'm sure it's not the architectural firms fault. Probably the developer/lot owner is looking to cash in as easily as possible. This just won't look that good new, and it certainly won't age well when compared to its historic neighbors. This design below would be barely passable on a number of streets in Central Ninth. I wish they would treat S. Temple with a little more respect when it comes to the elemental treatment of some of these newer projects. I often agree with the city's focus on the scale of certain neighborhood projects. However, sometimes it seems as if that's their one and only fixation. Ugh, I mean look at that balcony treatment, among other problems.

I'm holding my breath and keeping my fingers crossed on the big Trolley Sq. apartment project. Hoping for something like those original renderings(Remember those, that was something to be enthusiastic about). Heaven forbid a cheap looking faux replica..

Rendering of the proposed 1117 E. South Temple apartments as designed by SH Architecture. Image courtesy Salt Lake City public documents. HLC approved three missing middle projects last week.

My first thought when I saw that rendering was that it didn’t belong on So. Temple and apparently we need a more stringent HLC. Developments like that will ruin the character of So. Temple.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:46 AM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
I was chatting with a guy at a party recently, who works in the concrete form industry. He said there is an estimated 1.5 billion dollars worth in concrete work scheduled for next year. I'm not sure if he meant downtown or a larger region, but he went on to talk about the airport and how it's not part of that estimate (after thinking about it, I'm really not sure what he meant, but he was excited about how much work they are getting). He said Reagent and two other towers are supposed to start in 2018, but doesn't know specifics. On big projects they have to contact everyone they plan on subcontracting with, to make sure material, labor, etc will be available, but there won't necessarily be a contract in place until the projects move beyond that point in development. So yeah, they are anticipating supplying their product to 3 separate tower projects downtown this coming year. We know all to well how things can get delayed, but there seems to be a lot of momentum going.
Anyway, I realize this is nebulous and nothing we didn't already know, but it was cool to get some insider-ish info and thought it was worth sharing.
That's good info. At first I assumed he was speaking about all the light industrial projects but it's good to hear he had info on towers downtown! Thanks for sharing. Also, thanks for the info Isaac on the Richie project. It's good to hear developers are interested in a CCH back up plan. That block would make sense but the 375 height restriction is a bummer. I'm still a little mystified by the outdated zoning restrictions for height. Look at the time it's taking to get the ok on the Richie group block to increase height zoning. Our city processes seem to take too long and too many groups have to give the ok for a project. Tell me I'm wrong here. Here's to an Excellent and Exciting 2018!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 3:55 AM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 11:14 AM

I love hearing what Isaac is reporting from Ritchie. These current developers really seem to understand more of what Salt Lakes CBD potential is.

I have to say I'm very impressed with the look and quality of these latest projects. The Regent, Ritchie, Patrinely and Held projects are all large and would fit well in any major urban center, including Los Angeles. Combined they will have a major impact on the upcoming growth of Downtown over the next few years. While not yet the 500/600-plus foot towers that Salt Lake City deserves, they will definitely advance the time frame when SLC's CBD literally breaks the glass ceiling.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 12:26 PM

I wish I knew how to help you rotate these pics EP. Anyway, I really like the obvious setbacks in this project that breaks up the linear frontage along 400S. It makes for a much more attractive visual from the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 2:19 PM

The thing about the rezone to D1 is that they can apply for a waiver to go higher than 375'. The current zoning won't even let them get a waiver to go to 200'. So with the rezone, it is possible that the 30 story commercial building could top 450'.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
The thing about the rezone to D1 is that they can apply for a waiver to go higher than 375'. The current zoning won't even let them get a waiver to go to 200'. So with the rezone, it is possible that the 30 story commercial building could top 450'.
What the planning commission forwarded to the council will extend the overlay so it isn't a rezone but a text amendment so the developers can't build taller than 375, because technically it will still be zoned D-4.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I wish I knew how to help you rotate these pics EP. Anyway, I really like the obvious setbacks in this project that breaks up the linear frontage along 400S. It makes for a much more attractive visual from the street.
Delts and Orlando. I need to fix this. I have other pics of projects I want to post but now I feel like I’ve been living a lie. All this time I thought my pictures where posting right, but now I feel like a monster. Don’t look at me!!!!! Lol. But for reals. What website can I use to fix or prevent this?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 8:05 PM

Last edited by Denvergotback; Dec 15, 2017 at 8:05 PM. Reason: Thought I could rotate the pictures... I was wrong

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 10:20 PM

Upload your images to imgur.com. Tinypic is useless and flickr is hard to use. If the images themselves are rotated you can edit them in imgur. You can upload by just psdting the URL of each image into the upload box and then when the upload is complete right click on the image and copy image address. This is the source link you can use in forums to display images.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Upload your images to imgur.com. Tinypic is useless and flickr is hard to use. If the images themselves are rotated you can edit them in imgur. You can upload by just psdting the URL of each image into the upload box and then when the upload is complete right click on the image and copy image address. This is the source link you can use in forums to display images.
Thank you. will do

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West