HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 4:09 PM

Some buildings like the PanAm/MetLife are designed so that signage fits into the architecture. However, I dislike looking at that signage in the skyline of a city. Corporate culture is too intrusive in American culture, it does not need to be plastered and light up on the very top of America's tallest buildings. Signs at street level are just fine...If tastefully done.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 5:37 PM

Looks awful.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 6:53 PM

I'm just not a fan of Indeed's wordmark. It screams early 00s tech to me.

Definitely would prefer a simple icon like Google's 'G'.

Kinda worried it's gonna mess up the lighting too, which has become such a great addition to the city's skyline at night.

But whatever, a nitpick.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 8:54 PM

it just looks so ... what's the word ... "unserious"

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
I think it depends on the building. If the Sears/Willis tower, Chrysler Building, or a number of others had signage, I'd end up hating it.

On the other hand, for buildings like 4 Times Square (formerly the Condé Nast Building), Marriott Essex House, or the Metlife Building, the signage is a serious benefit, and I think they'd look weird (or at least, more boring) without it.
I always thought the signage on top of our BoA building added a nice touch, as well as this one. Oh well... to each my own.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 9:37 PM
Meh

For the longest time, Austin didn't really have any signage on our buildings. The Chase Bank Tower was the tallest building in Austin for many years with a sign before the Frost Bank Tower came along. I think part of it is that we rarely had any buildings that were significantly occupied by a large company that even cared to advertise itself. That's definitely changed now with large companies with the funds and interest to advertise that way.

As for signs, because we hardly ever had any I never really cared one way or the other, but seeing them now I'm not so sure I do. Granted, there are some logos and names that just look better than others. I do worry that too many of them could be tacky and distracting from the architecture.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 11:35 PM

They also added a new star sculpture in the mini park. Can't wait for that food court. Hoping they have some yummy treats.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
For the longest time, Austin didn't really have any signage on our buildings. The Chase Bank Tower was the tallest building in Austin for many years with a sign before the Frost Bank Tower came along. I think part of it is that we rarely had any buildings that were significantly occupied by a large company that even cared to advertise itself. That's definitely changed now with large companies with the funds and interest to advertise that way.

As for signs, because we hardly ever had any I never really cared one way or the other, but seeing them now I'm not so sure I do. Granted, there are some logos and names that just look better than others. I do worry that too many of them could be tacky and distracting from the architecture.
Yeah, the Frost building is a very unobtrusive logo, but I think it looks great and the building was almost certainly designed with plans for that exact logo being where it is on each side.

That said, I think you're probably right about the latter point -- the Indeed logo is getting criticism here, because it's just a fairly boring sans-serif of their name, and nothing more.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Yeah, the Frost building is a very unobtrusive logo, but I think it looks great and the building was almost certainly designed with plans for that exact logo being where it is on each side.

That said, I think you're probably right about the latter point -- the Indeed logo is getting criticism here, because it's just a fairly boring sans-serif of their name, and nothing more.
True the Frost Logo is unobtrusive to a much lesser degree than the Indeed Logo, however, it is still intrusive corporate advertising on a piece of architecture. Placed well or not. Corporate advertising has no place in a skyline; on top of tall buildings,

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
True the Frost Logo is unobtrusive to a much lesser degree than the Indeed Logo, however, it is still intrusive corporate advertising on a piece of architecture. Placed well or not. Corporate advertising has no place in a skyline; on top of tall buildings,
What if it looked cool like Blade Runner, with big screens and holographic advertisement?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 5:36 AM

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:23 PM

I think the logo looks good from I-35, for what it's worth.

Also, the finished sculpture in the plaza looks fantastic.

Downtown Austin Collection (12/4/21) by Lily Wilkerson, on Flickr

Downtown Austin Collection (12/4/21) by Lily Wilkerson, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:28 PM

Does the sculpture/signage have lighting?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 3:33 PM

Saw that sculpture lit up after dark for an event in the courtyard on Friday on my way out of town. It was bright white, though it looks like it can be pink/red, too. Either way it was awesome. A great piece of public art.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 4:29 PM

When I saw it yesterday it was lined with red LEDs that were slowly tracing on and off. I'm really liking this little plaza. It's gonna be great once the food hall opens.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 5:11 PM
Resident Moron

any idea on the timing of the food hall?

I know that Fareground got hit hard by Rona.

Im also curious about St. Elmo.

Its one of my favorite things in Europe and I'm stoked we're going to get 2-3 of these.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 6:35 PM

It doesn't look like much progress in the interior has happened in the past couple months. This is how it looked yesterday.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
any idea on the timing of the food hall?

I know that Fareground got hit hard by Rona.

Im also curious about St. Elmo.

Its one of my favorite things in Europe and I'm stoked we're going to get 2-3 of these.
Fareground is back with (IMO) a better roster of vendors. They weren't packed or anything but there were a decent number of people having lunch there yesterday.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Fareground is back with (IMO) a better roster of vendors. They weren't packed or anything but there were a decent number of people having lunch there yesterday.
Fareground is actually perfect for families that live downtown. Kids get to roam, parents get to booze, and no loitering vagabonds since it's private property. I know that sounds elitist but there aren't too many outdoor havens in DT.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 11:48 PM

The Indeed signage has color changing lights.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin