HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 2:09 PM

Also just narrow it to 6 lanes the whole way from Bronson westward. Losing the right pair of lanes over the Trillium line bridge, then regaining then just to lose them at Parkdale is pointless and creates dangerous merges.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
First, 80 km/h zone all the way. No more small pockets of 100 km/h zones here and there.
They've done a bit of that recently. I believe the 80 that starts at Innes continues through Nicholas now.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 4:01 PM

Heading eastbound it's a nightmare after Parkdale with the loss of the shoulder lane. Nobody seems to remember that little detail, and everyone is slamming on the brakes to let the Parkdalers merge twice.

Perhaps the shoulder lane should be limited, or additional signage put in place *immediately* after the chicane in the widening construction zone.

OR

Redirect all lanes exiting the widening construction zone over one lane by repainting the lines, instead of giving back an empty fast-lane for everyone to race in, 10 seconds before slamming on the brakes at parkdale.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 1:02 AM

August 31, still not done :/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post

August 31, still not done :/
They just started on that one at the beginning of the summer.

It's the swing bridge that has gone way over their initial timeline.

If there was no pandemic, I can't imagine what traffic would be like with both of those bridges closed at the same time.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 6:34 PM

From Councillor Brockington's August 4th newsletter:

Quote:
NCC Swing Bridge (Canal)
Work is progressing well after some delays. Unfortunately, a month of construction was lost, mostly due to COVID-19 related issues with procurement and workforce availability. The new opening date is October 1, 2020, which will see Hog’s Back Road re-open from Prince of Wales Drive to Colonel By Drive.

Parks Canada Stationary Bridge
The Parks Canada Stationary Bridge over the Hog’s Back Falls is still on track for completion at the end of December 2020. The bridge deck will be installed over the month of August.
https://rileybrockington.ca/river-wa...e-4-aout-2020/

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 11:40 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

More than 10,000 tickets generated by Ottawa's photo radar in July

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Sep 09, 2020 • Last Updated 1 hour ago • 1 minute read

Four photo radar cameras caught more than 10,000 vehicles breaking speed limits in the last half of July, Mayor Jim Watson reported Wednesday.

Watson, who announced the small batch of photo radar statistics at the top of a council meeting, said 10,771 tickets were generated by the new speed-enforcement cameras between July 13 — the first day the cameras were operational — and July 31.

The highest speed recorded was 89 km/h on Meadowlands Drive near St. Gregory School, Watson said.

Watson said photo radar is an important safety tool, not a cash grab.

“I hope this shines a light on how seriously we have to take road safety in our school zones and how essential photo radar will be in addressing some of this dangerous behaviour,” Watson said.

Two of the four cameras are rotated through different community safety zones. The other two cameras are fixed.

There were no other statistics released for the period after July 31.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-15646330c4bc/

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 12:54 PM

I was expecting one or two thousand, but nearly 11,000!?

I understand why it's not advertised, but I wonder how fast over the limit does one have to go before they are ticketed.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I was expecting one or two thousand, but nearly 11,000!?

I understand why it's not advertised, but I wonder how fast over the limit does one have to go before they are ticketed.
From my reading around on the internet and local Ottawa reddit, it seems that people are getting tickets for doing 51 in 40 zones. I am not sure if it's triggering at 50 or not.

11 over the limit might not seem like a lot, but that's the same % as going 102 in an 80 zone, or 127 in a 100 zone.

I am fine if the threshold is 50 or 51 for the 40 zones. And let's remember, these cameras are in school zones and the one that I pass by often (Meadowlands) is right before a crosswalk and an elementary school.

I wonder if they are turned on 24 hours a day?

I would be interested to see how many tickets are issued during the "school hours" versus outside those times.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
From my reading around on the internet and local Ottawa reddit, it seems that people are getting tickets for doing 51 in 40 zones. I am not sure if it's triggering at 50 or not.

11 over the limit might not seem like a lot, but that's the same % as going 102 in an 80 zone, or 127 in a 100 zone.

I am fine if the threshold is 50 or 51 for the 40 zones. And let's remember, these cameras are in school zones and the one that I pass by often (Meadowlands) is right before a crosswalk and an elementary school.

I wonder if they are turned on 24 hours a day?

I would be interested to see how many tickets are issued during the "school hours" versus outside those times.
Thanks for the info.

I have no issues with the speed cameras. Going over the limit is going over the limit, even when school's out. I have bigger issues with the red light cameras, where some can slam the breaks at a yellow (though from my understanding, a ticket is only issues if you cross the line while it's red).

I drive by one a few times a week on Innes, and always drive at the limit (60) or below. Most seem to race by me at 80 in the left lane.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:32 PM

Did they record speeds at any of these locations before the camera's went up? It would be interesting to see if these are genuinely effective at reducing speeding. Based on the number of tickets it doesn't seem like it haha. Granted, it is summer.

I just hope the money from the cameras only goes towards traffic calming efforts!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeggsEggs View Post
Did they record speeds at any of these locations before the camera's went up? It would be interesting to see if these are genuinely effective at reducing speeding. Based on the number of tickets it doesn't seem like it haha. Granted, it is summer.

I just hope the money from the cameras only goes towards traffic calming efforts!
The evidence from elsewhere is that they do reduce speeds (and accidents) considerably. I've got to think part of that results from the publicity that goes with the cameras. Here, it was a bit odd, as there really wasn't a lot of coverage when they rolled out. Clearly about 11,000 people missed the news.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
The evidence from elsewhere is that they do reduce speeds (and accidents) considerably. I've got to think part of that results from the publicity that goes with the cameras. Here, it was a bit odd, as there really wasn't a lot of coverage when they rolled out. Clearly about 11,000 people missed the news.
They pushed the launch of the cameras back several months which may have led to people forgetting about them. Its probably a lot of neighborhood drivers who have driver the route so much they don't pay attention to any signs.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 5:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Roundabout thinking on roundabouts from Ottawa city planners
Many roads in West Carleton are a mess of potholes and cracks, but the biggest roadwork expenditure this year? A single-lane roundabout has a pricetag of $3.3 million.

Randall Denley
Publishing date: Sep 15, 2020 • Last Updated 23 hours ago • 3 minute read

Ottawa’s roads are notoriously bad due to years of underspending on repairs, but the city has a plan to catch up over the next several years. One might have hoped that a feature of the plan would be doing the most important things first, but that’s clearly not the case in West Carleton-March ward.

The ward’s major roads require major repairs and have for years. Donald B. Munro Drive, one of the two main roads in Carp, is a mess of patches and broken pavement. Carp Road north of the village is in such rough condition that heavy truck traffic is vibrating residents’ houses. North of Carp, the grandly named Thomas A. Dolan Parkway resembles a corduroy road.

So, it was a bit of a surprise to discover that the city’s big expenditure in West Carleton this year was not reconstruction of any of these roads, but instead was a roundabout at a rural intersection near Kanata. It was an even bigger surprise to discover that the single-lane roundabout has a pricetag of $3.3 million. It’s almost unimaginable where the money is going, unless they are going to dig a hole in the ground, then bury it.

The “problem” the city is correcting is a minor back-up of cars at the existing four-way stop signs at Huntmar Road and Richardson Side Road, north of the Tanger Outlets. At peak demand, 25 or even 30 cars can be waiting at the stop sign. To find a higher priority, one need only turn on to Huntmar. The road is a mess of cracks and patches.

The $3.3 million doesn’t buy any repaving of that road, but there will be pedestrian crossovers, on the off-chance that someone might want to walk from Kanata to Carp. A small part of Huntmar closer to Kanata will be repaved in two or three years, possibly. The rest of the road, well, who knows? Certainly not the city.

It’s worth noting that traffic demand at the Huntmar-Richardson intersection is partly due to the fact that the city has allowed a suburb called Arcadia to be built near the outlets, but a road that would connect the suburb to the rest of Kanata has been delayed for years. That $32-million project finally started this year. Now, Arcadia residents have to drive a circuitous route to get out of their neighbourhood, but when the new road is complete, use of the pricey roundabout will surely decline.

One of the arguments in favour of roundabouts is that they are supposed to be cheaper than traffic signals. Asked for a simple cost comparison, city staff gave a roundabout answer. First, it was that the cost of the roundabout and the signals was “comparable,” a feature shared by any two numbers. A follow-up elicited the information that the costs were “similar” but no numbers were available, not even the cost of a typical traffic signal.

In addition to the roundabout, the city is spending $7 million on improving West Carleton roads this year, but the chief criterion seems to be light use. Only three roads get the full resurfacing treatment and one of those is a short stretch in Constance Bay that leads to a dead end.

In an interview in the Community Voice weekly newspaper, ward councillor Eli El-Chantiry defended the roundabout project, saying that it will keep cars moving and reduce emissions. Environmentally, this would be the roads equivalent of installing a single LED bulb in your house. Plus, the councillor pointed out, traffic signals can be unreliable when there is a power outage. OK, right.

Here’s a novel thought. Perhaps the city should identify the roadwork it intends to do in the next five years, ward by ward, then present that plan to residents to see if the city’s priorities line up with theirs. Clear plans and reporting on results are the heart of good government. Right now, the city’s roads plan is about as transparent as a bucket of tar.

Randall Denley is an Ottawa political commentator and author of the new mystery Payback, available at randalldenley.com Contact him at randalldenley1@gmail.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/de...-9671cd821e3a/

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 5:01 PM

Street Parking: "Parking limits on streets with no parking signs are three hours, Monday to Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and six hours on weekends and statutory holidays between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m."

What are the parking limits between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m.?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Street Parking: "Parking limits on streets with no parking signs are three hours, Monday to Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and six hours on weekends and statutory holidays between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m."

What are the parking limits between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m.?
None. Parking on street is completely unrestricted/unlimited between 7pm and 7am if there's no signs saying otherwise.

Only exception is during overnight winter parking bans.

Ottawa has a big culture of people using the street by their house as their primary parking lot, because it's really easy to comply with those limits if you work a M-F 9-5 type job, because as long as you're out by 10am each morning and don't came back until 4pm, you're complying with the street parking rules on weekdays, and on weekends you just have to take your car out once each day (getting back no earlier than 1pm), which a lot of people do anyway in their regular lives. This isn't just common in the downtown core (where parking can be expensive or unavailable), it's actually quite common (I'd say more so) in the inner suburbs, in places like Blackburn Hamlet, Bells Corners, Alta Vista, etc. where there's lots of people who live in townhouse condos where there's only 1 parking spot per house but the household has 2 or even 3 cars. Go to any street in these areas in the middle of the night and the curb is lined with cars. The only time this doesn't work is during winter parking bans, but people get creative. A surprising number of people get away with leaving their cars in malls or commercial parking lots overnight. I have a friend who does the street parking thing in the Carlingwood area (he has an apartment and is too cheap to pay for resident parking in his building) and he just leaves his car in the mall garage on snowstorm nights.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
None. Parking on street is completely unrestricted/unlimited between 7pm and 7am if there's no signs saying otherwise.

Only exception is during overnight winter parking bans.
Thanks. I spent almost an hour on Ottawa's 311 website and could not find that information.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 1:24 PM

I was looking at the site as well for this exact information. I have to park a car on the road overnight tonight and was pretty sure it was OK but not positive.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://twitter.com/Ottawa_Traffic/s...250923010?s=20

Nicolas Street Underpass is to be replaced this weekend. Detours will be in place for both directions of Highway 417.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:38 PM

Quote:
National Capital Commission
@NCC_CCN

The Hog’s Back Swing Bridge to reopen as of Oct 5, at 3pm
Clock face three oclockTemporary closures for 10 to 20-min periods are possible, between 9am-6pm, throughout Oct. to test the endurance of the bridge
Construction signDetour in place forPerson bikingPerson walking
Info:https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/projects/rehab..._medium=social #otttraffic #ottbike #ottwalk #ottnews

4:00 PM · Sep 30, 2020
https://twitter.com/NCC_CCN/status/1311395456929476613

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation