HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 5:50 AM

My understanding is garbage trucks with plows allows for more vehicles to be deployed in a snowstorm to clear the streets faster.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 2:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Aren't garbage trucks with plows the main plowing fleet in NYC? I seem to recall seeing many of them plow streets of snow without doing any garbage pick-up.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 2:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
The amount of salt in the Bayview Transitway bridge that got pulled out and is now being replaced was nothing short of astonishing.

Same, about 16 years ago, when they surgically repaired the Sappers Bridge at Confederation Square. The old concrete was just riddled through with salt, salt, salt, and salt-corroded metal.

A good pair of winter boots does not last more than one year for me.
I'd say the "bare pavement obsession" is a big part of the salt issue.

Other very snowy parts of the world (and even in Canada) don't see it as a big deal to have snow-packed main roads in mid-winter.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 6:13 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Whose lane is it anyway?
Beechwood Avenue repainted lanes hard to see in winter, leaves drivers confused

By Michelle Nash Baker, Ottawa East News
Jan 13, 2017

Snow, ice and multiple new and old painted lines along Beechwood Avenue have made driving along the street confusing this winter,.

The street was recently repainted to make room for cyclists as part of the East-West Bikeway plan in September.

The redo involved taking the four-lane street and reducing it to two traffic lanes with two bike lanes running east and west between Charlevoix Street and Springfield Road and Putman and Marier avenues.

The new configuration includes bicycle lanes, alternate-side parking and changes to some bus stops. The changes were made by the city repainting the lines on the road.

The painting, admits Rideau-Rockcliffe Coun. Tobi Nussbaum is confusing some drivers, as the former lanes were simply covered over with tar as opposed to removing them completely by scraping the pavement. The councillor admits that this process has left many drivers wandering along the street

“I think there was some confusion before the snow,” Nussbaum said.

The councillor said the lines will be repainted in the spring and he would like to see the former lines scraped completely, but until then, Nussbaum added he believes there are important tweaks that could happen to the street before then.

“I have noted that there is trouble coming in and out of the community, and I will ask staff to look at, the left turn on Springfield — you can’t see the lane is a turning lane.”

Nussbaum is talking about the change that was made to the Beechwood and Springfield intersection.

What was once two lanes with the option to turn left onto Springfield became a left-turn-only lane. A large arrow on the pavement is the only indication that the lane has changed. Add snow, Nussbaum said, and it could make it very hard for visitors in the area to know what is going on.

“I don’t know the answer yet, but I am hoping that there can be signage above ground,” he said. “You might say that this is a problem at every intersection but the difference is here we just made a recent change. It’s hard for people coming there for the first time.”

Aside from confusion at Springfield, there is also some confusion about where — and if — there are in fact bike lanes still along the street during these winter months.

Currently, the bike lanes are not getting cleared. Nussbaum said he is aware of the problem and is looking into it.

“I need to make sure that staff are aware that it’s a part of the snow removal budget,” he said.

In the spring, those lanes too will be repainted, Nussbaum added.

The spring will also bring the second phase of the changes along the street which will include more repainting and changing of the lines and lanes to make room for bike lanes and a cycle track on Beechwood between the Vanier Parkway and Charlevoix and Springfield.

PARKLET

Aside from new road configurations, Beechwood also welcomed a large wooden structure known as a parklet this summer.

Placed on the street in an existing parking space in front of Auturo’s restaurant at 49 Beechwood, the parklet called the Water Garden was removed late fall before the first snow.

The parklet was an initiative brought to the street by Quartier Vanier, the business improvement area, and throughout its time on the street, received some mixed reviews from area-residents about impeding traffic, cycling and safety on the street.

A report will be going to the city’s transportation committee this winter. The report will look at its success as well as recommendations on whether to proceed with the program.

Whether it will return to the same location, or along the street is up to the BIA, but Nussbaum said he is hoping that he can discuss with the BIA about potential other locations.

“One of the questions is, 'are there other locations where we can see greater success?'"

"My impression was residents loved the parklet, but had concerns about the location, the bend in the road,” Nussbaum said.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...is-it-anyway-/

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd say the "bare pavement obsession" is a big part of the salt issue.

Other very snowy parts of the world (and even in Canada) don't see it as a big deal to have snow-packed main roads in mid-winter.
Really? It is pretty standard to have clear pavement within a few days of snowfall no? I know it is is in all the Canadian cities I have spent time in as well as cities in the Northeast US, Northern Europe and Russia.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 5:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Really? It is pretty standard to have clear pavement within a few days of snowfall no? I know it is is in all the Canadian cities I have spent time in as well as cities in the Northeast US, Northern Europe and Russia.
I never got the impression that it was the standard most everywhere. Even in Northern Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
The painting, admits Rideau-Rockcliffe Coun. Tobi Nussbaum is confusing some drivers, as the former lanes were simply covered over with tar as opposed to removing them completely by scraping the pavement. The councillor admits that this process has left many drivers wandering along the street
I've noticed this in a few places around the city, just covering the old paint markings in tar. I think that's fine if it's a minor change, but if you're making a rather significant change to the lane arrangement I think you have to make sure the changes are clear to everyone.

Specifically the new pedestrian crossing on Bronson at the Colonel By Ramps, the old pavement markings were showing through the first month or two after construction and it really confused the heck out of people.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I've never been, but I imagine the Prairie cities would probably have hard-packed snow on many streets. Their winters are so cold that salt would probably fail to work a lot of the time.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 2:08 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I've never been, but I imagine the Prairie cities would probably have hard-packed snow on many streets. Their winters are so cold that salt would probably fail to work a lot of the time.
I mean, many of the main streets end up clear after a while due to traffic, sublimation from the sun, or if there is a warmup.

I just don't think that everywhere has this hard and fast service standard that you'll have bare pavement on all main roads X hours after a snowfall.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
"My impression was residents loved the parklet, but had concerns about the location, the bend in the road,” Nussbaum said.
Over the course of the "parklet" season, I saw maybe a dozen people, total, parkletting on the Beechwood parklet.

And the lane markings causing confusion? Told ya so.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
I've noticed this in a few places around the city, just covering the old paint markings in tar. I think that's fine if it's a minor change, but if you're making a rather significant change to the lane arrangement I think you have to make sure the changes are clear to everyone.

Specifically the new pedestrian crossing on Bronson at the Colonel By Ramps, the old pavement markings were showing through the first month or two after construction and it really confused the heck out of people.
OTM Books 7 makes it clear that lines removed for construction should be physically removed, and not just covered up, but that isn't often followed.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:

Carling Avenue Transit Priority Measures
Open House - February 15, 2017
Planning and Functional Design Study

Wednesday, February 15, 2017
St. Anthony’s Banquet Hall
523 St. Anthony Street
4 to 8 p.m.
OC Transpo routes 14, 85
Free parking is available

The City of Ottawa has initiated a study to develop a Recommended Functional Design Plan to provide for the introduction of Transit Priority Measures along Carling Avenue from Lincoln Fields to Bronson Avenue. The plan is intended to be comprised of low-cost and easily implementable measures for the interim. The Plan has been prepared in accordance with policies presented in the 2013 Official Plan (OP) and associated Transportation Master Plan (TMP) and related studies.

At the Open House you will have the opportunity to review information such as:

Revised pavement markings and signage
Minor modifications to reallocate the existing outside (third) lane to a bus-only lane
Cycling treatments at signalized intersections
Multi-modal level of service assessment for pedestrians, cyclists, transit service and general traffic for the Carling Station to Bronson and Kirkwood Intersection segments
A protected cycling facility for the Carling Station (Preston Street) to Bronson Avenue segment

The open house will be shared with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation who they will be providing information on the changes to the Carling Avenue Interchange as part of the Highway 417 Widening project.
http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...ority-measures

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 5:25 PM

^^ I wonder if this is moving forward due to the Transit Infrastructure funding which included 4.35 million for transit priority projects (according to http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/pt-sp/pt-sp-on-eng.html). Assuming there is matching city funding this is 8.7 million in transit priority projects to be completed by March 31, 2018.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 10:34 PM

Badly overdue. Carling east of the hospital is badly overbuilt and is way wider than it has to be. Has 6 lanes when traffic would flow fine at 4, lanes themselves are a lot wider than standard, and there's the huge, useless grass median. So much room available for bus lanes, bike lanes, etc.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 3:34 PM

When I saw this tweet from Brent Toderian, my first thought was: I wonder where in Ottawa -- other than Carling -- we might have a right of way wide enough for this type of complete street design:
https://twitter.com/BrentToderian/st...82165838303232

obvi transforming a street like Carling into a trad main street isn't an easy or overnight process, but it is possible, and has been done elsewhere.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 3:37 PM

Just to clarify, that street from Oakland is illustrative.* I wouldn't want to map it exactly on to Carling, e.g., because there are no bus lanes, which Carling absolutely should have, with <10min service the majority of the time.

*I don't know anything about Oakland, I drove through it once, and stayed in a suburban motel near the airport. For all I know, that street might have the BART running underneath it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Badly overdue. Carling east of the hospital is badly overbuilt and is way wider than it has to be. Has 6 lanes when traffic would flow fine at 4, lanes themselves are a lot wider than standard,
I would even say east of Carlingwood it is overbuilt and 4 lanes would probably be adequate (though there certainly is more traffic near the 417 interchange).

It is west of Carlingwood that I am not sure what they are going to do. The stretch between the two Woodroffes is crazy and with only 4 lanes between the western Woodroffe and Edgeworth, they will need more than just paint. This change is welcome though as the lanes are a little crazy here. For example, if you are in the right most westbound lane just west of Carlingwood and travel straight, without changing lanes you will end up in the middle lane at Lincoln Fields and in the left most lane west of Pinecrest. Eastbound it does a similar trick if I remember correctly.

Quote:
and there's the huge, useless grass median. So much room available for bus lanes, bike lanes, etc.
I don't think this plan is doing much more than adding new paint and putting up some signs, so the median isn't going anywhere for now. That will likely change once the surface LRT is built.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 12:38 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Study will give truckers a heads up on Hunt Club traffic signals

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: February 6, 2017 | Last Updated: February 6, 2017 1:29 PM EST

A research study in Ottawa will involve beaming traffic light information to transport truck drivers so they know when the signals will change.

The idea is to keep freight trucks moving along the high-travelled roads in an effort to save gas and cut back on fuel emissions.

All three levels of government have an interest in the pilot project, which will see the city award a contract to a firm that has the technology and a partner freight company.

The city plans to test the technology on the five-kilometres of Hunt Club Road between Merivale Road and Uplands Drive.

Greg Kent, the city’s manager of traffic management, said the Ontario Ministry of Transportation was looking for somewhere to test the technology and Ottawa raised its hand.

“The objective of this research is to assess the city’s traffic signal system connectivity capability with goods movement vehicles in an urban environment to see if we can communicate,” Kent said.

The study will also help governments decide if the technology is useful.

Kent said the feds are contributing $150,000 and MTO is providing $75,000. The city is providing staffing resources to lead the project and providing the traffic infrastructure.

The study comes at a good time since the city has been keen on embracing programs that feed connected and autonomous driving research. Mayor Jim Watson is planning a trip to Queen’s Park with local tech magnate Terry Matthews to talk up Ottawa’s tech scene.

The city offered Hunt Club Road for the pilot project because the signals have the appropriate technology and it sees a sizeable amount of truck and delivery activity.

Carleton University’s engineering department will be the independent evaluator, since the city doesn’t want the winning firm to assess how the technology is working.

In a simple example of how the technology works, a truck might be driving on Hunt Club Road and the driver could learn when the signals are going to change to avoid stopping and restarting.

“The system will be developed such that it knows where the vehicle is along the corridor,” Kent said. “It will identify it’s coming up to a signal. It will request that information and then our signal systems, through an appropriate secure environment, will push the information back to the vehicle driver. The vehicle driver will then have that information to decide how to drive.”

Starting up from a stopped position takes more energy for a large truck, which can result in more emissions. Drivers can adjust their speeds knowing when a light will change. If the light will be changing green, the driver can be prepared to keep moving with the flow of traffic.

“Any information that the driver has could improve that driving ability,” Kent said.

Kent said the focus of the research will be on the economic and environmental benefits of the technology, with some consideration of how it might help road safety.

The city wants to award the contract by the end of March and start trial runs in the fall. Experts at Carleton should have a report ready in early 2018, Kent said.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...raffic-signals

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Study will give truckers a heads up on Hunt Club traffic signals

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: February 6, 2017 | Last Updated: February 6, 2017 1:29 PM EST

A research study in Ottawa will involve beaming traffic light information to transport truck drivers so they know when the signals will change.

The idea is to keep freight trucks moving along the high-travelled roads in an effort to save gas and cut back on fuel emissions.

I am trying to square this with all the meaningless words that the planning department spews about transportation priorities.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 4:39 PM

^^^Sounds like a great idea to me, but in the long run, why limit it to trucks? All motorists could adjust their driving habits if they had more information about the traffic light they are approaching. My only concern is if the light is green and the system says the light will be red when you get there, people might gun it to catch the green light, where as the proper thing to do would be to take your foot off the gas and start slowing down.

The other next step is to integrate the system with automatic speed control (and proximity sensors) to allow you "ask" the car to optimize the speed or rate of deceleration for the conditions (distance to intersection and time until the light turns green). With enough vehicles using the system, the lights could optimize themselves for current traffic patterns.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation